Deandre Brown

bowlingtwig

Someone had posted about this guy but couldn't find it anymore. See what happens when I'm on the road so damn much. I read Wes Bunting's take on this guy and I just don't know what to think about him. I absolute love his size, speed and the fact he uses his body well to shield defenders but Wes also mentioned how the guy is constantly hurt all the time, he shy's away from contact and when he is about to get hit he takes his eyes off the ball, the major problem that I have is that his hands are good either. I think what Cutler needs, besides an Oline that can protect him, is a WR like Brown who has the size but doesn't mind go over the middle but more importantly he needs to trust that the WR will catch the ball if he puts it there. I don't know what projections are for him but I am not using a 1st or 2nd for him. Just can't jusitfy it especially with is long list of character issues and injury issues.

Here is a link to Wes's big board. Great read I think:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/colleg...d_rankings.html

Someone had posted about this guy but couldn't find it anymore. See what happens when I'm on the road so damn much. I read Wes Bunting's take on this guy and I just don't know what to think about him. I absolute love his size, speed and the fact he uses his body well to shield defenders but Wes also mentioned how the guy is constantly hurt all the time, he shy's away from contact and when he is about to get hit he takes his eyes off the ball, the major problem that I have is that his hands are good either. I think what Cutler needs, besides an Oline that can protect him, is a WR like Brown who has the size but doesn't mind go over the middle but more importantly he needs to trust that the WR will catch the ball if he puts it there. I don't know what projections are for him but I am not using a 1st or 2nd for him. Just can't jusitfy it especially with is long list of character issues and injury issues.

I think it's like Danario Alexander a year ago - #1 receiver talent when he's healthy, but it's pretty unlikely that he's going to consistently stay that way. I'd still take a gamble on Brown on Day 3. CBS Sports thinks that he's going to be a 6th-rounder, but I'd even consider reaching for him when the Bears pick in the 5th. If it pans out, he's a starting wide receiver in his rookie year.

I think it's like Danario Alexander a year ago - #1 receiver talent when he's healthy, but it's pretty unlikely that he's going to consistently stay that way. I'd still take a gamble on Brown on Day 3. CBS Sports thinks that he's going to be a 6th-rounder, but I'd even consider reaching for him when the Bears pick in the 5th. If it pans out, he's a starting wide receiver in his rookie year.

Yeah, I agree, I wouldnt mind taking a flyer in the 5th rd or later. Alot of those picks dont seem to pan out any ways so why not try. In a way though I hope the new CBA continues with the 4 pre season games so these late flyers and practice squad guys are given a chance to prove themselves. If they go down to 2 games none of them will ever see the field and it would be such a shame then.

Besides the height and his ability to shield off DB's, he sounds a lot like Knox- shys away from contact, takes his eyes off the ball, and doesn't have great hands.

Like this guy alot, seen him play in the backyard bowl, Huge player and physical

Jonathan Baldwin, 6-5/225

Wide Receiver

Pittsburgh

Jonathan Baldwin Scouting Report

By Matt McGuire

Strengths:

Prototypical size and length

Focuses and doesn't drop many passes

Great body control and athleticism

Knows how to use frame and shield corners

Attacks ball at its apex

Terrific hands and plucks the football

Reliable and consistent

Red zone terror

Physical runner; doesn't go down easy

Fearless over the middle

Gets a lot of Y.A.C.

Nice hand-eye coordination

Shows awareness as a receiver

Long strider

No. 1 receiver potential at next level

Elite catch radius

Good run blocker

would not mind a 1st being spent on this guy, but I still think a OT needs to be taken.

I'm on the fence about Baldwin. On the one hand, you can't teach that kind of size and vertical leap. On the other hand, he doesn't run great routes and gets virtually NO separation from DBs even at the college level. He can run away from guys down the field if he has time to build up a head of steam, but he doesn't separate on crossing routes and out routes, because he just doesn't get out of his routes quickly at all. That's a killer in Martz's offense, where the one thing WRs have to be is insanely sudden getting into/out of their routes. Baldwin just doesn't have that explosiveness, and he often gets totally blanketed on short-to-intermediate routes. At Pitt he managed to make a lot of plays with the DB in his hip pocket, but I'm not sure he'll have the same kind of success in the NFL, where he's going to see CBs who can be 6'1" or taller.

If a team needs a size/speed guy to run primarily vertical routes, I could see them going for Baldwin. For example, he'd make sense for St. Louis, since they've got guys like Clayton and Amendola who can handle the underneath stuff. But the Bears have deep threats covered; they need a go-to WR on short and intermediate passes, and I don't think Baldwin can be that guy in Martz's offense. That's the real problem with the second tier of wideouts this year: guys like Baldwin and Leonard Hankerson have the size and good enough speed to run vertical routes, but they don't have the quickness or route-running to make the plays that the Bears were missing this year.

Right now I'll take Baldwin or that Mike Pouncey from Florida.

Pouncey would be an awesome pick - the Bears need a stud guard just as much as a stud tackle. If Carimi and the other 1st-round tackles are off the board when the Bears pick, Pouncey's got to be the guy. Plug Pouncey in at LG, move Williams back out to LT, put Omiyale on the bench or let him compete with Webb for the RT spot...in a best-case scenario, that one draft pick could upgrade 2 or 3 positions on the line.