What about Plaxico?

Alaskan Grizzly

Was just reading that Burress is due to be released in June. The article asks "how well will he perform after being away from the game after two years?". I think I might have an idea; ask Michael Vick or Mike Williams of Seattle. The article also highlighted that he has lost some weight. New York has no interest in him moneywise i believe. Could be that big receiver for relatively no cost and no strings the Bears are needing. Still leaves room for a few OLmen.

Sign him...

Was just reading that Burress is due to be released in June. The article asks "how well will he perform after being away from the game after two years?". I think I might have an idea; ask Michael Vick or Mike Williams of Seattle. The article also highlighted that he has lost some weight. New York has no interest in him moneywise i believe. Could be that big receiver for relatively no cost and no strings the Bears are needing. Still leaves room for a few OLmen.

He's been away from football far too long IMO. Let somebody else take a chance on him. Plus he's not a young guy. Gotta be about 32-33?

He'll turn 34 this August.

I'd consider it and at least give him a workout if I can't land another WR...but it's worth asking how likely he is to be in shape. Michael Vick, for example, took a full year of NFL level workouts before he got back to his previous athleticism, and that was for a guy in his 20's with a shorter prison term.

He'll turn 34 this August.

I'd consider it and at least give him a workout if I can't land another WR...but it's worth asking how likely he is to be in shape. Michael Vick, for example, took a full year of NFL level workouts before he got back to his previous athleticism, and that was for a guy in his 20's with a shorter prison term.

Yeah, I'm with you. No reason not to kick the tires, but I wouldn't expect him to have much left at 34, after two years out of football.

I am in agreement on this as well. Bring him in for a workout and see what he may still have left in the tank. If Burress shows enough there, sign him to an incentive contract as previously stated. Problem is that it will not happen because Angelo and Smith are so in love with our receiving corps that WR will be ignored once again. It is one thing I continue to preach, every player should be signed to some sort of incentive contract and if they do not perform then the team should have the ability to cut the player. Prove yourself to earn your money just like everyone else outside the sports world has to.

Including the coaching staff!

It is one thing I continue to preach, every player should be signed to some sort of incentive contract and if they do not perform then the team should have the ability to cut the player. Prove yourself to earn your money just like everyone else outside the sports world has to.

I continue to preach, every player should be signed to some sort of incentive contract and if they do not perform then the team should have the ability to cut the player. Prove yourself to earn your money just like everyone else outside the sports world has to.

This will never happen. The union will never agree to this.

Peace :dabears

If he's lost 20 pounds, that would mean he's going 6'5" and about 210-212 pounds. I'm 6'4" and 210...trust me when I say that I would not stand up to getting hit by an NFL safety.

I'm 6'4" and almost 250 and can assure you that I wouldn't stand up "to an NFL safety". Not even sure some 20 years ago when I was closer to 20 I could have. The point being that Plaxico has "been there, done that". June is a few months away and camp usually begins in earnest in July. What's to say that he couldn't get into "shape" by then? I can tell you that many didn't think Mike Williams couldn't play again, and if you ask me he still looked out of shape, but look at how well he came back. This after being on hiatus on his OWN accord.

I thunk someone like Plaxico, at a lighter weight, will have something to build upon rather than the opposite. With a lighter frame he could have that leg up for speed. And with the height advantage better jump-ball ability like Plaxico of old.

Bottom line, he's a bargain for a decent player. Give him a try.

I'm 6'4" and almost 250 and can assure you that I wouldn't stand up "to an NFL safety". Not even sure some 20 years ago when I was closer to 20 I could have. The point being that Plaxico has "been there, done that". June is a few months away and camp usually begins in earnest in July. What's to say that he couldn't get into "shape" by then? I can tell you that many didn't think Mike Williams couldn't play again, and if you ask me he still looked out of shape, but look at how well he came back. This after being on hiatus on his OWN accord.

I thunk someone like Plaxico, at a lighter weight, will have something to build upon rather than the opposite. With a lighter frame he could have that leg up for speed. And with the height advantage better jump-ball ability like Plaxico of old.

Bottom line, he's a bargain for a decent player. Give him a try.

Wasn't being too serious about the height/weight thing...I'm pretty confident that Plax is in better shape than I am. I think that's probably a given.

But he's definitely going to have to work to put the weight back on if he wants to play again, and 20 pounds of muscle is a lot to put back on by July. I'm not saying the Bears shouldn't give him a tryout, but I don't think anybody knows what he's going to have left in the tank.

Wasn't being too serious about the height/weight thing...I'm pretty confident that Plax is in better shape than I am. I think that's probably a given.

But he's definitely going to have to work to put the weight back on if he wants to play again, and 20 pounds of muscle is a lot to put back on by July. I'm not saying the Bears shouldn't give him a tryout, but I don't think anybody knows what he's going to have left in the tank.

For what its worth. Plax's agent has said that he his is very good shape. Of course the question will be can he still play at a productive level after being gone for 2 years and hes not exactly young anymore.

For what its worth. Plax's agent has said that he his is very good shape. Of course the question will be can he still play at a productive level after being gone for 2 years and hes not exactly young anymore.

A lockout right now really hurts him also. No idea what team he's actually with, no OTA's, potentially no training camp, etc. In a normal season he could start talking to teams and learning the playbook a lot earlier.

A lockout right now really hurts him also. No idea what team he's actually with, no OTA's, potentially no training camp, etc. In a normal season he could start talking to teams and learning the playbook a lot earlier.

I agree this lockout hurts everyone. I have heard several teams have already started laying off some of their sales people as well. We all know that a deal will get done but the question is when.

I agree this lockout hurts everyone. I have heard several teams have already started laying off some of their sales people as well. We all know that a deal will get done but the question is when.

I'm assuming a deal will get done around August 1st. There's too much at stake to cancel games and there's too much at stake for either side to flinch too soon. Neither side will get particularly uncomfortable until we're near September.