Going back to when this board started

jason

Drunk Bomber calls for a first round OL

fenom hopes the Bears move UP in the first round for OL

Connor says we should spend our first two picks on OL

Everyone chimes in: Butkusrules declaring OL as the #1 priority, balta calls for 2 or 3 OL draft prospects, Pix says the other positions don't matter if the OL sucks, RME and Drunk Bomber make OL at least 1A or 1B

Bearsox flat out rejects anything other than OL with the first pick

And, finally (because I looked through a few pages and that's enough), a poll...

27 out of 36 votes believe that OL needs to be the #1 priority

So, here's what I'm thinking...

1. If we all thought it then, and

2. The Bears thought it as well (drafted Chris Williams), and

3. Chris Williams has not turned into a quality OT much less the stud we were hoping for,

WHY IN THE WORLD AREN'T THEY STILL DRAFTING OL?!

It's truly baffling and infuriating.

BTW - If you want to have some fun, go back in the beginning of these boards, just after the change, and look for some of the things people said. Stuff like the Cedric Benson or Mike Williams discussions are interesting.

Nice sluethin'!

I noticed I was OK with going for OL, but I really wanted Mendenhall! I had OL as my second slot for certain... I was just enamoured w/ Mendy at that time.

Drunk Bomber calls for a first round OL

fenom hopes the Bears move UP in the first round for OL

Connor says we should spend our first two picks on OL

Everyone chimes in: Butkusrules declaring OL as the #1 priority, balta calls for 2 or 3 OL draft prospects, Pix says the other positions don't matter if the OL sucks, RME and Drunk Bomber make OL at least 1A or 1B

Bearsox flat out rejects anything other than OL with the first pick

And, finally (because I looked through a few pages and that's enough), a poll...

27 out of 36 votes believe that OL needs to be the #1 priority

So, here's what I'm thinking...

1. If we all thought it then, and

2. The Bears thought it as well (drafted Chris Williams), and

3. Chris Williams has not turned into a quality OT much less the stud we were hoping for,

WHY IN THE WORLD AREN'T THEY STILL DRAFTING OL?!

It's truly baffling and infuriating.

BTW - If you want to have some fun, go back in the beginning of these boards, just after the change, and look for some of the things people said. Stuff like the Cedric Benson or Mike Williams discussions are interesting.

Nice blast from the past! That's funnier then hell reading those old posts.

Best Prediction Connor:

"New tackle is Matt Toeaina. I like what he brought to the table and brought that up in another thread."

Worst Prediction AZ:

"If we go QB I'd rather see us take Woodson." (this was for Woodson over Matt Ryan . . . Woodson dropped to the bottom of the draft and was quickly out of the league)

It's particularly funny to read how many on here hated Ryan and declared him to be a bum.

I'm avoiding all draft talk until after the combine, but that was a fun read.

Nice blast from the past! That's funnier then hell reading those old posts.

Best Prediction Connor:

"New tackle is Matt Toeaina. I like what he brought to the table and brought that up in another thread."

Worst Prediction AZ:

"If we go QB I'd rather see us take Woodson." (this was for Woodson over Matt Ryan . . . Woodson dropped to the bottom of the draft and was quickly out of the league)

It's particularly funny to read how many on here hated Ryan and declared him to be a bum.

I'm avoiding all draft talk until after the combine, but that was a fun read.

lol, yup bad pick for Woodson over Ryan, but you forgot the most important part of my post "But I would hope we trade down and get one of those OT.

Offensive line is a must in this draft"

lol, yup bad pick for Woodson over Ryan, but you forgot the most important part of my post "But I would hope we trade down and get one of those OT.

Offensive line is a must in this draft"

Sorry I failed to mention that. If you're like me, about half your projections are really good and the other half are really bad. Heck, if anyone wants to go back to the bearstalk board, I was a huge fan of drafting Cedric Benson. Hell, I probably said he'd be the next Walter Payton. Ouch.

That's not a good enough reason for me. There should have been second rounders used on OL if the first rounders weren't available.

We've treated the d-line the way you wanted us to treat the o-line. We target the d-line high every year. The remainders of these picks:

Tommie Harris--good pick but he might be done. Too expensive to keep

Marcus Harrison--Regularly inactive

Henry Melton--He looked real good at times

Corey Wooton--knock out Favre. Needs to get bigger.

We've done way better picking up free agents like Peppers & Adams while picking up guys off the heep like Toenia & Idonije.

I have no reason to believe our o-line would be any better if we'd drafted the position often.

We've treated the d-line the way you wanted us to treat the o-line. We target the d-line high every year. The remainders of these picks:

Tommie Harris--good pick but he might be done. Too expensive to keep

Marcus Harrison--Regularly inactive

Henry Melton--He looked real good at times

Corey Wooton--knock out Favre. Needs to get bigger.

We've done way better picking up free agents like Peppers & Adams while picking up guys off the heep like Toenia & Idonije.

I have no reason to believe our o-line would be any better if we'd drafted the position often.

Let me get this straight...

1] You note that the Bears draft DL every year

2] You note that the Bears have had success in 2, if not 3, out of 4 picks

3] You note that the Bears have done better in FA than in the draft

4] You say the same practice wouldn't have worked for the OL? Huh? :blink:

Sorry I failed to mention that. If you're like me, about half your projections are really good and the other half are really bad. Heck, if anyone wants to go back to the bearstalk board, I was a huge fan of drafting Cedric Benson. Hell, I probably said he'd be the next Walter Payton. Ouch.

lol yup. I liked it too. Too bad he turned out to be a clown.

Let me get this straight...

1] You note that the Bears draft DL every year

2] You note that the Bears have had success in 2, if not 3, out of 4 picks

3] You note that the Bears have done better in FA than in the draft

4] You say the same practice wouldn't have worked for the OL? Huh? :blink:

We've had moderate success signing offensive linemen and defensive linemen. We haven't bothered to draft o-line and we've demonstrated ineptitude drafting d-line year after year.

D-linemen Angelo drafted in the first 4 rounds:

BUSTS:

Michael Haynes (1st round)

Dan Bazuin (2nd round)

Tank Johnson (2nd round)

Dusty Dvoracek (3rd round)

Marcus Harrison (3rd round)

Jarron Gilbert (3rd round)

HITS:

Tommie Harris (1st round)

Alex Brown (4th round)

Ian Scott (4th round)

THE JURY IS STILL OUT:

Corey Wooton (4th round)

Henry Melton (4th round)

Mark Anderson was a nice pick in the 5th, but you can counter that with Claude Herriot and Tron LeFor

That's a whole lot of wasted picks.

Man that's a disheartening list...

JA has far too many misses, plain and simple.

We've had moderate success signing offensive linemen and defensive linemen. We haven't bothered to draft o-line and we've demonstrated ineptitude drafting d-line year after year.

BUSTS:

Dan Bazuin (2nd round)

Tank Johnson (2nd round)

HITS:

Alex Brown (4th round)

Ian Scott (4th round)

THE JURY IS STILL OUT:

Corey Wooton (4th round)

Henry Melton (4th round)

Mark Anderson was a nice pick in the 5th, but you can counter that with Claude Herriot and Tron LeFor

BUSTS:

Dan Bazuin (2nd round)

Tank Johnson (2nd round)

HITS:

Alex Brown (4th round)

Ian Scott (4th round)

THE JURY IS STILL OUT:

Corey Wooton (4th round)

Henry Melton (4th round)

Yes, that's a whole lot of wasted picks. Which is why they could have been spread around and used on a few OFFENSIVE linemen.

It's impossible to know what could have happened if that happened, and there is nowhere near enough data to show whether or not JA and crew have a keen eye for picking something other than disappointing defensive linemen. Right back to the original purpose of this thread. Why hasn't it been done?

Why hasn't it been done?

I'll say it again.

Outside of the first round, you rarely find O-linemen who are able to step in and perform their first season. Even in the first round it's trouble.

The Bears have had zero first round picks since they drafted Williams. They traded them for Cutler. Taking guys in the 2nd round and later is a long-term building strategy, but it's not a good plan for a team trying to "Win now".

A better question to me is why the Bears haven't played harder for O-line on the FA market once they traded for Cutler.