Mankins to stay in NE

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Come this year, the Patriots are expected to franchise Mankins any day now, an outcome he said he would not welcome in the least. The league says teams have the right to franchise players even if there's no new CBA, but the union disagrees and says the tag will be meaningless if owners lock out players. A guy as unhappy as Mankins might just try to challenge the franchise tag in court, and could have a decent shot at earning his free agency that way. Stay tuned. My sense is this can't possibly end well.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...l#ixzz1DsZKJvQW

I'm anxious to see what we want to do with Chris Williams.

Me too. I think a lot of the o-line fix this offseason is going to depend on the coaching staff's evaluation of Williams. It's fair to say that they inserted him at LG as a band-aid solution. By the time Williams was healthy, Omiyale was settled in at LT and they'd tried a million OG combinations already; nobody wanted to reshuffle the line for the umpteenth time. I think this offseason is going to be their opportunity to really evaluate Williams and figure out what he can offer them.

If they decide he can move back to LT and be at least an average starter (which he was at the end of 2009 and in Week 1 this year) then they only need a stud LG to really improve the o-line. They could go LG in Round 1 or in free agency, draft a developmental RG in the middle rounds, and call it a day.

If they decide that Williams' best position is guard (which I think is less likely - I don't know if he's really a good fit there physically) then they pretty much have to find a left tackle in the 1st round. If Jared Gaither hits the open market and his back checks out medically (which is a very big if) then they could make a play for him, but otherwise they're going to have to address the position in the draft.

Personally, I think Williams can still be an average-to-good left tackle. I don't think he's ever going to be a stud like Jake Long or D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but when he's gotten a chance start at LT, he played pretty well. Pair him with a Pro Bowl-caliber left guard and the left side of the line could be just fine. That would leave Webb/Omiyale competing for RT, hopefully with Webb winning out and Omiyale becoming the swing tackle.

EDIT: Actually, if Tice and company decide that Williams can play LT, I'd like to see them target Davin Joseph in free agency, then draft Rodney Hudson out of FSU in the 1st and John Moffitt out of Wisconsin in the 4th. This way, our line could be:

2011: Williams-Hudson-Kreutz-Joseph-Webb

2012: Williams-Moffitt-Hudson-Joseph-Webb

Hudson's technique is polished enough for him to start at guard as a rookie, but his lack of size means that his long-term future's at center. Moffitt's got great size and strength for a guard, but could probably use a year to develop. This way, Hudson gets a year to learn from Kreutz while solidifying LG, and Moffitt gets a year of practice reps/working with Tice before he has to start. Plus, having a Pro-Bowl-caliber veteran RG lining up next to Webb would probably help his development, and those two would make a great run-blocking right side.

I believe this tagging (if it stands) means two things.

1. He won't play for the New England Patriots next year

2. He won't play for the Chicago Bears next year

The only move that could set Mankins over the top ticked off at New England more...was them tagging him this year. It's smart by NE, as they won't lose Mankins for nothing and someone will give up a few picks to get him.

I would be SHOCKED if Angelo deals any draft picks this year. I just don't see it feasible for him to do so after giving up so many picks for Cut (worth it) and losing the 2nd Rounder on Gaines Adams (which I believe also would have been worth it). We also can't forget recent early draft picks flopping in Gilbert and Iglesias. Angelo needs a few of his 'red shirt' projects to hit and he needs a few more from this draft very badly.

In reference to the OL situation...I agree I am VERY curious to see what they do with Chris Williams. I've seen enough to label him a bust and move on, but that's just me.

I would be fine with Webb returning to camp next year as our starter at RT...the youngster shows terrific potential and his progress was astounding. The rest of the offensive line? Yikes....I'm even uneasy with Kreutz at C these days. I'm hoping Lance Louis has a big camp and pulls down a job.

In reference to the OL situation...I agree I am VERY curious to see what they do with Chris Williams. I've seen enough to label him a bust and move on, but that's just me.

I would be fine with Webb returning to camp next year as our starter at RT...the youngster shows terrific potential and his progress was astounding. The rest of the offensive line? Yikes....I'm even uneasy with Kreutz at C these days. I'm hoping Lance Louis has a big camp and pulls down a job.

One thing to remember about offensive lines is how 1 giant gaping hole can carry through to the other positions. If, for example, your LT says "ole!" every time a defender walks by, then the LG has to either help the LT's guy or have that whole side of the line blown up. Then, the Center is isolated on his own, with not help. Add in the fact that the LG was playing out of position, and Omifail's, well, suckitude could have impacted the whole left side of the line.

I would be SHOCKED if Angelo deals any draft picks this year. I just don't see it feasible for him to do so after giving up so many picks for Cut (worth it) and losing the 2nd Rounder on Gaines Adams (which I believe also would have been worth it). We also can't forget recent early draft picks flopping in Gilbert and Iglesias. Angelo needs a few of his 'red shirt' projects to hit and he needs a few more from this draft very badly.

At the very least, I'd be shocked if he dealt draft picks for a guard, especially with so many good players looking to hit free agency (assuming there is free agency at some point.) Looking at his history, it's clear that Jerry would rather sign free agents to fill out his o-line, and luckily enough this is a good year to need a guard. Tampa beat writers are reporting that the Bucs won't use the franchise tag on Davin Joseph, meaning he'll probably hit unrestricted free agency. He'd be a big upgrade over any of the Bears' current guards. Also, the Falcons need to re-sign both of their starting guards and their starting right tackle. I don't think they'll be able to retain all three: either Blalock, Dahl, or Clabo should be available at some point.

At the very least, I'd be shocked if he dealt draft picks for a guard, especially with so many good players looking to hit free agency (assuming there is free agency at some point.) Looking at his history, it's clear that Jerry would rather sign free agents to fill out his o-line, and luckily enough this is a good year to need a guard. Tampa beat writers are reporting that the Bucs won't use the franchise tag on Davin Joseph, meaning he'll probably hit unrestricted free agency. He'd be a big upgrade over any of the Bears' current guards. Also, the Falcons need to re-sign both of their starting guards and their starting right tackle. I don't think they'll be able to retain all three: either Blalock, Dahl, or Clabo should be available at some point.

I'd still use a high draft pick somewhere on that line...but really, if the Bears can sign 1 legitimate starter for the left hand side of that line, either for Guard or Tackle, they could well be set. They need to have plans for the future obviously for the C and RG spots, but Webb at RT, Garza, Kreutz, and Williams somewhere on the LH side is a workable line with decent upside, if they have a legit extra starter.

I'd still use a high draft pick somewhere on that line...but really, if the Bears can sign 1 legitimate starter for the left hand side of that line, either for Guard or Tackle, they could well be set. They need to have plans for the future obviously for the C and RG spots, but Webb at RT, Garza, Kreutz, and Williams somewhere on the LH side is a workable line with decent upside, if they have a legit extra starter.

Yeah, ideally I'd like them to sign a starter for the interior line in free agency and draft another o-lineman in the 1st. Webb's got potential at RT, Kreutz probably has one more adequate season in him, and Williams should still be in the starting lineup, just depending on where they think his best position is. They just need to get the other two positions filled.

Yeah, ideally I'd like them to sign a starter for the interior line in free agency and draft another o-lineman in the 1st. Webb's got potential at RT, Kreutz probably has one more adequate season in him, and Williams should still be in the starting lineup, just depending on where they think his best position is. They just need to get the other two positions filled.

You don't think Garza fills a slot? Is he a "FA"?

You don't think Garza fills a slot? Is he a "FA"?

I like Garza just fine, but I think ideally he'd at least have serious competition for his starting job next year. He's not as effective as he was a couple of years ago, although he isn't yet in the must-replace category like Omiyale. It wouldn't be a total disaster if we're still starting him next year, but I'd rather he were a swing backup, since he can play all three interior line positions.

I like Garza just fine, but I think ideally he'd at least have serious competition for his starting job next year. He's not as effective as he was a couple of years ago, although he isn't yet in the must-replace category like Omiyale. It wouldn't be a total disaster if we're still starting him next year, but I'd rather he were a swing backup, since he can play all three interior line positions.

Without knowing what will happen in FA, I think the right move is to plan on Garza being the starter until a CBA is signed unless you find a guy after the 3rd round in the draft that you think could be an interior line option. The LT/LG weakness is more important, and going into this draft, you have to play it as though the draft will be the only chance you get to add players. Go LT/LG with the first pick, go for other needs with 2/3 (WR, CB, DT, etc.).

If somehow there's a CBA signed before the draft, try to fill that LT slot in FA. Then you're much more clear in the draft. But assuming that doesn't happen, at least add another body to the left side of the line in the draft, and realize that replacing Garza right now isn't as high of a priority as some of the other personnel holes.