Tice's contract gets extended...

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...ion-with-bears/

Mike Tice gets contract extension with Bears

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 16, 2011, 6:26 PM EST

Bears offensive line coach Mike Tice didn’t get a chance to be the Titans offensive coordinator, but he did get a little extra money in his pocket from the Bears.

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports that Tice got a one-year extension through 2012 on Wednesday. (He presumably got a pay bump on the final year too.) In exchange, the man formerly known as Meathead essentially can’t complain about not getting his shot for a promotion.

Tice wasn’t the only Bears assistant to get an extension. Running backs coach Tim Spencer, defensive backs coach Jon Hoke, and linebackers coach Bob Babich all were extended through 2012.

How weird is it that one of the worst o-lines in the league has their o-line coach getting interest from other teams?

While it's just one year, it's interesting that Tice got an extension, but Lovie, Martz, and Marinelli have not.

We constantly shuffled pieces looking for an answer, we admitted to our mistakes (we didn't stick with Louis & Asiata as promised, we moved Chris Williams, and we cut Beekman) and most importantly, we showed improvement.

Tice believes in huge space-filling o-linemen. Martz like quick mobile guys who can pass protect. I don't see how this marriage will work for much longer . . .

How weird is it that one of the worst o-lines in the league has their o-line coach getting interest from other teams?

While it's just one year, it's interesting that Tice got an extension, but Lovie, Martz, and Marinelli have not.

We constantly shuffled pieces looking for an answer, we admitted to our mistakes (we didn't stick with Louis & Asiata as promised, we moved Chris Williams, and we cut Beekman) and most importantly, we showed improvement.

I think this is why Tice is drawing interest despite the o-line playing poorly. The rest of the league recognizes that he got stuck with less talent up front than just about any other team in the NFL, but he still managed to coach them up and keep it from being a total disaster. I don't think anybody in the league did more with less this year.

Tice believes in huge space-filling o-linemen. Martz like quick mobile guys who can pass protect. I don't see how this marriage will work for much longer . . .

That depends. Martz had Orlando Pace in St. Louis, who would have fit the bill in either system. I think the biggest difference is at RT. Martz needs a right tackle who's more athletic and can be left on an island in pass protection, whereas Tice has had huge road-grading guys like Korey Stringer. Thankfully, I think Webb has the physical ability to do both, if he can develop the mental part of his game.

I think this is why Tice is drawing interest despite the o-line playing poorly. The rest of the league recognizes that he got stuck with less talent up front than just about any other team in the NFL, but he still managed to coach them up and keep it from being a total disaster. I don't think anybody in the league did more with less this year.

Dead on accurate...and it speaks volumes in many ways. Tice took potentially the worst OL in NFL history, a verifiable flaming pile of shit, extinguished the flames, and sprayed enough perfume on it that at least it didn't smell as bad as it looked. That's why he's getting attention. In the hands of most OL coaches, this OL probably would have paralyzed Cutler instead of just allowing him to get concussed and a torn knee ligament.