Harris anyone?

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...is-last-season/

PFT GearBroncos tried to trade Ryan Harris last season

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 18, 2011, 9:04 AM EST

Earlier in his four-year career, Denver’s Ryan Harris looked like a franchise cornerstone and one of the best right tackles in football.

After a slew of injuries and inconsistent play, the Broncos were ready to dump him last year. Josina Anderson of FootballProsLive.com reports that the team tried to trade Harris last season. The Bears reportedly showed the most interest, with the Raiders, Bills, Redskins, and Texans also in the mix.

Harris wound up starting the last eight games of the year, but an injured ankle before the trading deadline prevented a trade. By all indications, the Broncos are ready to move on from Harris, who is set to be an unrestricted free agent.

He’s only 25 years old and has 34 starts over the last three years, so he’ll make an high upside pickup for some team.

I'd be all for signing Harris if he clears medically. Martz's scheme needs two tackles who you can leave one-on-one in pass protection, and Harris is definitely that. Signing him would give us the option to leave Williams at guard if Tice thinks that's his best position, and have Harris play LT. On the other hand, we could put Williams at LT, Harris at RT, and have the chance to bring Webb along more slowly before he competes for a starting job. And if Williams or Harris got hurt, we'd have Webb waiting on the bench.

Bottom line, I'd like the signing. It'd give us a lot of positional flexibility and depth, more youth along the line, and a guy who's proven he can protect Cutler (the last time he was blocking for Jay, Harris only allowed 1.5 sacks all season.)

Whatever Tice says I'll go with it. lol I say that somewhat jokingly but in all seriousness if the Bears make no effort to bring him in then it's because Tice says he isn't worth it. I don't know what his injury history is and if there are some back or knee problems then it might have taken the edge off his performance. i also don't think it's worth trading for a guy like this. If he had shown signs of improving last season they'd be hanging onto him. Just wait until he's cut and then look to bring him in.

Whatever Tice says I'll go with it. lol I say that somewhat jokingly but in all seriousness if the Bears make no effort to bring him in then it's because Tice says he isn't worth it. I don't know what his injury history is and if there are some back or knee problems then it might have taken the edge off his performance. i also don't think it's worth trading for a guy like this. If he had shown signs of improving last season they'd be hanging onto him. Just wait until he's cut and then look to bring him in.

I can actually agree with this. Tice, Toub and Marinelli have earned my trust.

I don't think we've got a clue what we want to do with the o-line. Martz likes quick o-line who can pass block while Tice wants maulers better suited for run-blocking. We need to make a decision quickly on what type of player we want & stick with it. I've never seen a position more messed up then our o-line. When you consider:

1. Chris Williams is touted as a top-shelf LT. He looks bad. He's moved to guard where he looks worse. What the hell do we do with him?

2. For months we hear how good Louis & Asiata are. Tice says he doesn't want to sign another guard because he's taught these 2 the right techniques and they're ready. Nobody believed this, but what we didn't expect was to sign Edwin Williams, who was cut by Washington. We sign Williams before week 3 & he starts week 5.

3. At RT the battle was Omiyale vs. Shaffer. Omiyale gets moved to LT & J'Marcus Webb starts. I find it incredibly hard to believe that a 7th round pick is the answer.

While I applaud the staff for admitting mistakes, how could their evaluations be so effed up? How do we believe a thing they tell us about the o-line this off-season?

I don't know much about Harris, but we'd better figure out what the hell we want to do.