Safety opt#2 - Otogwe released

madlithuanian

I was just about to start a post on this and say the Bears should go after him. Until I realized, as you pointed out, that Atogwe is a Safety. (Some reason thought he was a CB). With Harris and yes Manning I think things are ok enough that the team doesn't need to spend a lot at this position. Which I am sure he will want, partly why the Rams dropped him. For now, in the secondary and IMHO, the pressing need is Tillman's eventual replacement. That and getting Jennings a few more inches in height.

Still the primary #1 overall is at OL.

I'm just not a big fan of Manning. I'd rather let him go and get Otogwe for the next 2 years to get a true veteran safety in the mix.

I was just about to start a post on this and say the Bears should go after him. Until I realized, as you pointed out, that Atogwe is a Safety. (Some reason thought he was a CB). With Harris and yes Manning I think things are ok enough that the team doesn't need to spend a lot at this position. Which I am sure he will want, partly why the Rams dropped him. For now, in the secondary and IMHO, the pressing need is Tillman's eventual replacement. That and getting Jennings a few more inches in height.

Still the primary #1 overall is at OL.

I'm just not a big fan of Manning. I'd rather let him go and get Otogwe for the next 2 years to get a true veteran safety in the mix.

Me neither, but when you start talking bidding and prices don't think that Atogwe is worth th hassle. Or should say THAT position. And I forgot that Wright is waiting in the wings. If the team can get a good sustained year out of him, think there is a "diamond in the rough" forming.

I'm just spending the McCaskey's money here...and would imagine there could be enough to go around after the CBA dust settles. ;)

But my first priority is OL, then WR, then secondary...

I just wonder if a guy like Otogwe would take a bit of smaller pay to land on a very good D, coached by a guy players seem to love, on a team that should be able to see the playoffs next year...

Me neither, but when you start talking bidding and prices don't think that Atogwe is worth th hassle. Or should say THAT position. And I forgot that Wright is waiting in the wings. If the team can get a good sustained year out of him, think there is a "diamond in the rough" forming.

I'm just spending the McCaskey's money here...and would imagine there could be enough to go around after the CBA dust settles. ;)

But my first priority is OL, then WR, then secondary...

I just wonder if a guy like Otogwe would take a bit of smaller pay to land on a very good D, coached by a guy players seem to love, on a team that should be able to see the playoffs next year...

Have to say I agree with all this.

Now how about that Lovie Smith Fan Club membership? :)

He should be safety option #1. He's a solid player who could be had for 2 or 3 years. In that time, Wright can play special teams and the staff can evaluate him as a safety to see if he'll ever be a starting NFL safety or just a special teams player.

I'd love to have OJ Atogwe in the defensive backfield, but I agree with what's been said: that money needs to be spent elsewhere. He's going to take a lot of cash to sign, and the Bears have at LEAST three or four needs more pressing than safety (O-line, WR, DT, CB.) Atogwe's an awesome player; if it were another uncapped year and the McCaskeys had the cash, I'd say do it. But if the front office is operating under normal constraints, then there are other areas they need to patch up first.

Spend the money on the Oline and finding a DT who can get some pressure up the middle. Our safety group is solid and the areas above are not. With a better pass rush the safety play will be good enough. I realize they might not be household names but our safeties and defense held the vaunted Packers offense to an average 12 points in the last two meetings. Based on that it's hard to say the D is where we need to focus our money on improvement.

Spend the money on the Oline and finding a DT who can get some pressure up the middle. Our safety group is solid and the areas above are not. With a better pass rush the safety play will be good enough. I realize they might not be household names but our safeties and defense held the vaunted Packers offense to an average 12 points in the last two meetings. Based on that it's hard to say the D is where we need to focus our money on improvement.

Absolutely agree, Manning is underrated, Harris is solid, Wright is up and coming. Our corners are also a very solid group....let's get some O line and a big D tackle, maybe a WR too!

I'd love to have OJ Atogwe in the defensive backfield, but I agree with what's been said: that money needs to be spent elsewhere. He's going to take a lot of cash to sign, and the Bears have at LEAST three or four needs more pressing than safety (O-line, WR, DT, CB.) Atogwe's an awesome player; if it were another uncapped year and the McCaskeys had the cash, I'd say do it. But if the front office is operating under normal constraints, then there are other areas they need to patch up first.

I never said they should sign him. I said he should be safety option #1.

I think JA who drafts a safety just about every year will continue this pattern. A guy like UNC's Deunta Williams comes to mind who recently had surgery to repair a broken leg along with him being a part of the scandal at Chapel Hill will cause his stock to drop him to mid to late rounds.

I also believe with no CBA in place, how valid would any of the tags be? If teams are truly trying to control spending then some of these tags should be done away with.

I'm with you MadLithuanian, Manning is going to ask for a substantial raise. But I question how much ? If it's near Otogwe price or near it ? Is he worth it ? You know Otogwe is a player where you put him at free Safety and forget about it.

I know we NEED Olinemen desperately but I really believe Angelo and Co. think they have enough young talent ( with the help of Tice ) on the team to overcome their ills and maybe draft 1 O.L. in the first 3 selections and it might not be with the first two.