Combine prospects and draft time

ASHKUM BEAR

The Combine starts up this weekend, so get ready for some drooling over potential prospects that the Bears may covet.

Here is my list of prospects I will try to watch:

Round One prospects in our reach

Gabe Carimi OT Wis - 6-7 315 35-1/4 arm

Little raw to play LT, but is a beast in the run game. Has potential to be a great RT.

Gabe will probably get drafted a few slots ahead of the Bears, but he has to be on the Bears war room board. He can solidify the RT and improve the run game. The Bears may be hesitate to take another RT project since they like the potential of JaMarcus Webb.

Nate Solder OT Colorado - 6-8 314 35" arm

Since he struggled at the senior bowl, his stock status will most likely drop to the late 20's. Nate's athletism puts him at LT.

Solder has been all over the mock draft boards, but the Bears will take a look and evaluate if he can push Omiyale/Williams for the LT position. If they feel Solder has potential to be better than the two, the Bears should not think twice.

Stefen Wisniewski C/G - 6-3 298

Wisniewski is probably the top Center prospect in the draft. He plays with good leverage and technique, toughness, and smarts.

The Bears really need to start thinking of finding Olins replacement. Olin will probably put in one more year before hanging it up. Wisniewski can step in right away, but a year of learning will probably help him in the long run. In that time, he can compete for a G position.

Mike Pouncey G/C Florida - 6-5 320

Pouncey can play Center, but his best fit in football will be at Guard. He is strong, athletic, and a mualer in the run game.

Pouncey, I think is the ideal player for the Bears to draft. Garza is up there in age and Williams is just not getting it makes G the Bears biggest hole on the line. Pouncey will automatically be better than them two and improve the line as a whole.

Drake Nevis DT LSU 6-1 287

Nevis's best position might be with a team the utilizes the 3 technique. He is a little small for most teams DT, but he was disruptive, quick to the ball, and played hard.

If the Bears feel replacing Tommie Harris will get them over the hump and win the Superbowl, I have no problem drafting a 3T DT with the first. I did think the rotation of Toenia/Harris was effective, even though not disruptive. Nevis could be that guy especially with Angelo/Smith's defensive scouting eyes.

Round Two prospects:

Marvin Austin DT NC 6-3 305

Austin is a disruptive force in the middle. Good enough to be first round talent, but his troubles will take him out of round 1 and possibly round 2.

If the Bears pass on Nevis, they probably will keep their fingers crossed that Austin falls to them. Austin has a good sense to find the QB. He is quick off the snap, strong, with a high motor and he should have fresh legs after missing most of last season. He may be able to fit 2004/2005 Tommie Harris shoes.

Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia 6-2 200

Good height and frame, can run with WR's, can play press or zone. Dowlilng can be first round talent if his tackling was better.

If the Bears move Tillman to FS like mentioned earlier, they may look CB early. They did like Bowman and Graham earlier, but them two must of done enough to get in Lovie's dog house. They were also high on Moore, but he was redshirted all year.

Jake Kirkpatrick C TCU 6-2 301 31-1/2 arm

Second highest rated pure center in the draft. Only played one year of highschool football.

If the Bears really want to rebuild for Jay Cutler, then the offensive line should take priority. Kirkpatrick can sit behind Kruetz for a year and learn from one of the best (which was many years ago).

Round 3 prospects:

Greg Little WR NC

Joseph Barksdale RT LSU

John Moffit G Wis

Casey Matthews ILB Oregon

Tim Barnes C Missouri

Rashad Carmichael CB Virginia Tech

Curtis Brown CB Texas

Round 4 prospects:

Terrance Tolliver WR LSU

Greg Salas WR Hawaii

James Carpenter G Ark

Pat Devlin QB Deleware

Lawrence Wilson LB Con

RD5

Jonas Moulton LB Mich

Richard Sherman CB Stanford

DeMarcus VanDyke CB Miami

Cecil Shorts III WR Mt Union

Ronald Johnson WR USC

Steve Schilling G Mich

James Brewer OT Ind

Nathan Enderle QB Idaho

RD6

DeAndre Brown WR Sou Miss

Vidal Hazelton WR Cincy

Justin Moren G Ohio St

Derek Hall OT Stanford

Taylor Potts QB Tex Tech

....and here is my mock to go along with this:

RD1 Mike Pouncey G FL...............starting RG replacing Garza

RD2 Marvin Austin DT NC...........rotational player

RD3 Tim Barnes C Miz...............sits behind Kreutz 1 yr

RD4 Terrance Tolliver WR LSU.....Big WR target, see how TC goes

RD5 Richard Sherman CB Stan....smart CB, can compete w/ Jennings, Bowman, Graham, & Moore

RD6 Vidal Hazelton WR Cincy......Big, Fast, Raw WR talent

....and here is my mock to go along with this:

RD1 Mike Pouncey G FL...............starting RG replacing Garza

RD2 Marvin Austin DT NC...........rotational player

RD3 Tim Barnes C Miz...............sits behind Kreutz 1 yr

RD4 Terrance Tolliver WR LSU.....Big WR target, see how TC goes

RD5 Richard Sherman CB Stan....smart CB, can compete w/ Jennings, Bowman, Graham, & Moore

RD6 Vidal Hazelton WR Cincy......Big, Fast, Raw WR talent

In 1st round I would like Pouncey. But I no longer want Nate Solder. I have been reading that he isn't as fluid as some of the others and his stock has been dropping. I fully expect Carimi to be gone as I believe he is the best OT on the board. Another person I wouldnt mind having is Anthony Castonzo from Boston College.

1.) Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh - Scouting Report

Height: 6-5. Weight: 225.

Projected 40 Time: 4.50.

With Da out the Door a tall sure handed wr is required. Baldwin fits that roll perfectly. Big, a Jumper and reminds many of Brandon marshall type.

2.) Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU - Scouting Report

Height: 6-5. Weight: 335.

Projected 40 Time: 5.25

Barksdale wont last till the 3rd round He is Big Strong and mean. Said to have descent feet and would immediately upgrade the line. Can play both tackle positions.

3.) Clint Boling, G, Georgia

Height: 6-5. Weight: 310.

Projected 40 Time: 5.09.

Nasty inside lineman, Immediate starter. Can play any inside postion. Would replace Garza or Williams and then take Center after Olin retires If needed.

4.) Ian Williams, NT, Notre Dame

Height: 6-2. Weight: 311.

Projected 40 Time: 5.11.

High motor, Much in the A Adams roll. But will be filling the 3. Better in pass rush then T harris. Bears can dump that contract with this kid.

5.) Devon Torrence, CB, Ohio State

Height: 6-1. Weight: 193.

Projected 40 Time: 4.46.

Big Corner, Can play Man and cover 2 technique. Good size and above average speed on the field. Plays faster then he truly is.

6.) Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

Height: 6-2. Weight: 222.

Projected 40 Time: 4.94.

Has all the intangibles you look for in a QB, Good charcter guy and soaks up coaching like a sponge. Development type for sure. Would make a Longterm solution to the number 3 on the roster.

7.) Michael Morgan, OLB, USC

Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.

Projected 40 Time: 4.58.

Speacial teams guy. High motor. Can stand to put a few pounds on, Has the frame carry it. Very good footabll mind. and will lay it all on the field.

I know WR in the first. But the truth is this draft is so deep in quaity lineman why not grab a very good reciever out of the box. Plenty in the second to get.

I posted this before with allot of critisim. But Ill stick to it knowing we need a bunch on the offensive side of the ball.

With Da out the Door a tall sure handed wr is required. Baldwin fits that roll perfectly. Big, a Jumper and reminds many of Brandon marshall type.

Ugh. Look, I know the dude ripped up Notre Dame this year, and I understand that many want a WR, but it is far from the #1 priority. #3 at best. And if the Bears ARE going to get a WR in the first round, it would be good to get a guy who had more production against a relatively weak schedule and didn't get completely negated against a mid-level SEC team.

Ugh. Look, I know the dude ripped up Notre Dame this year, and I understand that many want a WR, but it is far from the #1 priority. #3 at best. And if the Bears ARE going to get a WR in the first round, it would be good to get a guy who had more production against a relatively weak schedule and didn't get completely negated against a mid-level SEC team.

I'm not crazy about a lot of aspects of Baldwin's game, but he does bring exactly what the Bears' WRs are missing - a big red-zone jump-ball threat. I mean, his height/reach/vertical leap combination is in the same conversation with Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. He's not as fast or shifty as either of those players, but he has the potential to be elite in red-zone situations.

That said, the scenario where I'd want the Bears to consider him is if he falls into the top of the 2nd. I still want them to go o-line with their 1st-rounder, but if Baldwin falls out of the 1st they should make a serious effort to trade up from their 2nd and grab him.

2.) Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU - Scouting Report

Height: 6-5. Weight: 335.

Projected 40 Time: 5.25

Barksdale wont last till the 3rd round He is Big Strong and mean. Said to have descent feet and would immediately upgrade the line. Can play both tackle positions.

3.) Clint Boling, G, Georgia

Height: 6-5. Weight: 310.

Projected 40 Time: 5.09.

Nasty inside lineman, Immediate starter. Can play any inside postion. Would replace Garza or Williams and then take Center after Olin retires If needed.

4.) Ian Williams, NT, Notre Dame

Height: 6-2. Weight: 311.

Projected 40 Time: 5.11.

High motor, Much in the A Adams roll. But will be filling the 3. Better in pass rush then T harris. Bears can dump that contract with this kid.

5.) Devon Torrence, CB, Ohio State

Height: 6-1. Weight: 193.

Projected 40 Time: 4.46.

Big Corner, Can play Man and cover 2 technique. Good size and above average speed on the field. Plays faster then he truly is.

6.) Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

Height: 6-2. Weight: 222.

Projected 40 Time: 4.94.

Has all the intangibles you look for in a QB, Good charcter guy and soaks up coaching like a sponge. Development type for sure. Would make a Longterm solution to the number 3 on the roster.

7.) Michael Morgan, OLB, USC

Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.

Projected 40 Time: 4.58.

Speacial teams guy. High motor. Can stand to put a few pounds on, Has the frame carry it. Very good footabll mind. and will lay it all on the field.

I know WR in the first. But the truth is this draft is so deep in quaity lineman why not grab a very good reciever out of the box. Plenty in the second to get.

I posted this before with allot of critisim. But Ill stick to it knowing we need a bunch on the offensive side of the ball.

Some strange picks here indeed, but we do not have a seventh rd pick

I'm not crazy about a lot of aspects of Baldwin's game, but he does bring exactly what the Bears' WRs are missing - a big red-zone jump-ball threat. I mean, his height/reach/vertical leap combination is in the same conversation with Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. He's not as fast or shifty as either of those players, but he has the potential to be elite in red-zone situations.

That said, the scenario where I'd want the Bears to consider him is if he falls into the top of the 2nd. I still want them to go o-line with their 1st-rounder, but if Baldwin falls out of the 1st they should make a serious effort to trade up from their 2nd and grab him.

If the purpose is so narrowly focused as to get an elite red zone, shield the DB, jump ball threat, then they need to throw the damn ball to the two MEGA-TE's the Bears have already! And if that's not good enough, then pick one of the following later. Cheaper.

Terrence Toliver, LSU - Solid

Tori Gurley, South Carolina - Good prospect, looks the part, overshadowed by Jeffires

Chris Matthews, UK - Tons of praise, tall, fights for the ball, blocks hard downfield

Kris Durham, UGA - Overshadowed by AJ Green

DeAndre Brown, Southern Miss. - Injury history, but measurables make him worth a late round pick

If the purpose is so narrowly focused as to get an elite red zone, shield the DB, jump ball threat, then they need to throw the damn ball to the two MEGA-TE's the Bears have already! And if that's not good enough, then pick one of the following later. Cheaper.

Terrence Toliver, LSU - Solid

Tori Gurley, South Carolina - Good prospect, looks the part, overshadowed by Jeffires

Chris Matthews, UK - Tons of praise, tall, fights for the ball, blocks hard downfield

Kris Durham, UGA - Overshadowed by AJ Green

DeAndre Brown, Southern Miss. - Injury history, but measurables make him worth a late round pick

Jason good point but some of the guys you have mentioned have been running the same as the DL and LBs at the combine and thats what we don't need. From all indications JA is saying that the skill positions are not as good as the the DL and OL and he rates the LBs even lower. Now that maybe smoke screen because none of us saw the Cutler or Peppers moves coming. So maybe he goes against his norm and picks a WR early but I doubt it.

Jason good point but some of the guys you have mentioned have been running the same as the DL and LBs at the combine and thats what we don't need. From all indications JA is saying that the skill positions are not as good as the the DL and OL and he rates the LBs even lower. Now that maybe smoke screen because none of us saw the Cutler or Peppers moves coming. So maybe he goes against his norm and picks a WR early but I doubt it.

Plus the fact that Olsen can't grab jump balls against smaller DB's he goes against.

I think a bigger Brandon Marshall type is a need, but not over an OL.

That may be true. I was simply replying to the tired garbage everyone keeps using in defense of a WR being drafted early. The "we need a red zone threat who can man-up, box-out, and get a jump ball" is a bogus argument. As if the jump ball is the primary weapon for a cold weather team when in the red zone. As if scheming and a strong running game, which has the added side effect of successful play action, don't create a near non-requirement for that type of player.

If the Bears' front office thinks a WR is needed - a concept several here agree with (not me) - then I sincerely hope it's not a narrowly focused grab at a tall WR who can be good on specific types of plays.

Semi-related note...if that's the player they want, I'd like to see Aroma given a shot to fulfill that need.

Oh its garbage? And yours is Gold right? Common dude just cuz we see things differently dont mean its garbage. More like different view. DA had his chance , HE DOES NOT BLOCK OR RUN OVER THE MIDDLE. Thats why Martz did not use him. Get someone who does that with same height and better hands.

Regardless weather you agree or not your view is garbage to me as well, OL is deep, deep, DEEP this draft. Meaning that talent differences are not that much different in the late first round to early 3 round. Position in the draft means alot as well. We will not get a premier Tackle in the late first. That is my beleif. We can get a nasty OL throughout the second and third.

That may be true. I was simply replying to the tired garbage everyone keeps using in defense of a WR being drafted early. The "we need a red zone threat who can man-up, box-out, and get a jump ball" is a bogus argument. As if the jump ball is the primary weapon for a cold weather team when in the red zone. As if scheming and a strong running game, which has the added side effect of successful play action, don't create a near non-requirement for that type of player.

If the Bears' front office thinks a WR is needed - a concept several here agree with (not me) - then I sincerely hope it's not a narrowly focused grab at a tall WR who can be good on specific types of plays.

Semi-related note...if that's the player they want, I'd like to see Aroma given a shot to fulfill that need.

I agree with you two-fold.

1 I believe that DA should have been given more of a chance and feel he along with Des Clark went into a season long offensive doghouse.

2 I also agree that the first 2 picks should be used on both lines 1 each.

With that being said if a solid corner(with size since Bowman is in the Defensive doghouse and Graham will never get another shot at corner) is at the 30th pick then take him. Now with me saying that if the 3rd rated CB Colorado's Jimmy Smith is there do it because listening to him talk he will be pissed and will want to prove everyone who passed him wrong.

Now if Gabe Carimi is there take him and figure out who is going to move on the line left ,right or to the bench. With Schafer being cut something has got to be added.

Didn't Nate Solder do something like 20 or 22 reps of 225lbs at the combine? Plus there were comments there that he didn't move as well as advertised. Seems he's not a first round talent. He might develop into something but he's not ready to contribute any time soon. I'd rather stick with Webb and see what he develops into in his second season. Adding someone like Carimi seems like it would do some good.

Now that we cut Shaffer does it mean we have our three OTs in Williams, Omiyale, Webb? Or is Williams still a guard? Or are we willing to add one OT to the group and let them compete? Nobody will find that out until after the draft.

Oh its garbage? And yours is Gold right? Common dude just cuz we see things differently dont mean its garbage. More like different view. DA had his chance , HE DOES NOT BLOCK OR RUN OVER THE MIDDLE. Thats why Martz did not use him. Get someone who does that with same height and better hands.

Regardless weather you agree or not your view is garbage to me as well, OL is deep, deep, DEEP this draft. Meaning that talent differences are not that much different in the late first round to early 3 round. Position in the draft means alot as well. We will not get a premier Tackle in the late first. That is my beleif. We can get a nasty OL throughout the second and third.

I didn't say mine was gold, but if getting a WR in the first round is done so the Bears have a jump ball threat in the end zone, then yes, it's garbage.

Secondly, DA did not get a chance. What alternate universe Bears games did you watch last year? DA was in the doghouse almost the entire year, and it wasn't really fair considering one of the main things you want is a WR. If the Bears need a WR, then surely those who played didn't do well enough in your eyes, which means they should have explored the DA option. Which they didn't.

If the OL is deep, it still has an upper crust. And that upper crust is much more important than drafting a tall WR simply because he ::might:: be able work in jump ball situations. Because as well all know, if the BPA presents itself later, JA and crew might just go after that player. Which means OL gets skipped til rd.3. Wash, rinse, repeat. To say that there aren't really talent differences between the first, second, and third rounds is so utterly ridiculous it's not even worth addressing.

I didn't say mine was gold, but if getting a WR in the first round is done so the Bears have a jump ball threat in the end zone, then yes, it's garbage.

Well mister Gm have you seen Baldwin play? I did and end zone is not his only talent. He goes over the middle and is one helluva blocker.

Secondly, DA did not get a chance. What alternate universe Bears games did you watch last year? DA was in the doghouse almost the entire year, and it wasn't really fair considering one of the main things you want is a WR. If the Bears need a WR, then surely those who played didn't do well enough in your eyes, which means they should have explored the DA option. Which they didn't.

DA got his chance in Practice to prove he can do what Martz asked of him. It was reported he wa was not a willing blocker and hesitant to go over middle without short arming it. It was proven this year with T Harris benching , if you dont show it in practice you dont play. Harris was a former Pro bowler, so should DA get off the same treatment?

If the OL is deep, it still has an upper crust. And that upper crust is much more important than drafting a tall WR simply because he ::might:: be able work in jump ball situations. Because as well all know, if the BPA presents itself later, JA and crew might just go after that player. Which means OL gets skipped til rd.3. Wash, rinse, repeat. To say that there aren't really talent differences between the first, second, and third rounds is so utterly ridiculous it's not even worth addressing.

Your really limiting baldwins ability, Watch tape on the kid, There is a whole lot more to him then you give em credit for. But I doubt seriously there will be the same talent in the later round of the first as well as the second. Thats why I structured it that way.

Now with Harris released dont doubt that JA drafts a DL with them being even deeper then the OL.

Look it time to put drafts the way we see them going, its not a time to act like you know it all and try challenge everyone that dont think like you. Just take chill pill and enjoy the process, if Iam right then yeah ILll ask to eat your crow pie, And you will hear me whooping it up all the way from Arizona for the pick. Not because they took my guy, but because I was right. LOL

But its all in fun. And doing mocks is fun. Its why we all do em.

Well mister Gm have you seen Baldwin play? I did and end zone is not his only talent. He goes over the middle and is one helluva blocker.

Your really limiting baldwins ability, Watch tape on the kid, There is a whole lot more to him then you give em credit for. But I doubt seriously there will be the same talent in the later round of the first as well as the second. Thats why I structured it that way.

Now with Harris released dont doubt that JA drafts a DL with them being even deeper then the OL.

Look it time to put drafts the way we see them going, its not a time to act like you know it all and try challenge everyone that dont think like you. Just take chill pill and enjoy the process, if Iam right then yeah ILll ask to eat your crow pie, And you will hear me whooping it up all the way from Arizona for the pick. Not because they took my guy, but because I was right. LOL

But its all in fun. And doing mocks is fun. Its why we all do em.

1. defiantgiant's quote is what I responded to:

"I'm not crazy about a lot of aspects of Baldwin's game, but he does bring exactly what the Bears' WRs are missing - a big red-zone jump-ball threat. I mean, his height/reach/vertical leap combination is in the same conversation with Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. He's not as fast or shifty as either of those players, but he has the potential to be elite in red-zone situations."

For that express purpose, it's stupid. If the dude is Larry Fitzgerald reincarnated, then it's not as bad of a move. I still hate it in RD1, especially given his production against inferior opponents.

2. Why is it that when there is disagreement someone always says chill out, or something similar? This is a civil discussion. If anyone is excited about it, it's you. Especially when considering the DA situation that makes drafting a WR in the first round somewhat illogical.

DA got his chance in Practice to prove he can do what Martz asked of him. It was reported he wa was not a willing blocker and hesitant to go over middle without short arming it. It was proven this year with T Harris benching , if you dont show it in practice you dont play. Harris was a former Pro bowler, so should DA get off the same treatment?

3. We simply disagree on whether or not Aromashodu got a shot and I don't think Tommie Harris cements the deal for the coaches. We saw what Aromashodu can do on the field when given a legit chance. He blew up. Then he got buried last year. I'd rather have a player who shits the bed in practice and then destroys the league in games, versus the opposite of that. Essentially you're using the inverse "Dez White Argument," a guy who allegedly tore it up in practice and then replaced his hands with bricks when gametime rolled around. Again, using logic, if the Bears WR did poorly enough that you think a WR needs to be drafted in the first round, then it stands to reason that they shouldn't have been playing the entire year when other options were present; others should have been given opportunities to at least see if they'd improve the offense. The gametime opportunity never came for Aromashodu. That means the Bears are either happier with their WRs than you and some others (my hope), or that they are incompetent evaluators or vindictive towards players (my fear).

4. Yes, doing mocks is fun. And you should notice I didn't say much about the rest of your mock. But, this is a message board, and the greater majority of content on message boards is debate. I'm debating your first round selection of a lesser-known WR, who you originally seemed to want because he's "elite in red-zone situations," from a smaller school, who put up average stats against average teams, and got completely shut down against the one SEC team he played against.

The fact that Aromashodu didn't play in many games doesn't mean that the team didn't explore him as an option. It means that they explored the option during the offseason and in practice (and for the first game or two of the regular season) and determined that he didn't earn playing time. You don't find out if a developmental guy can be a starter by giving him the job outright and hoping for the best - you make him prove that he's a starter in practice. If a guy sucks in practice, why would you play him in a game? Lovie Smith said that they were looking for Aromashodu to take a step forward last offseason, he failed to do it, and Mike Martz basically confirmed that when asked about him. I don't know what more there is to say.

I know there's a lot of love for Aromashodu on this forum, but let's be realistic. The guy had a great game in relief of Hester against Minnesota, but how much did it tell us about him? He was running mostly vertical routes against an injured Antoine Winfield, who was so hobbled that he had to line up 10 yards off and bail immediately, and he still couldn't keep up. Any fast WR in the league will look great if he gets a free release at the line against a corner who can barely run. Bernard Berrian would have looked like an all-star if he'd been playing in Aromashodu's place in that game, and we all know that Berrian isn't the answer at WR.

And outside of that game, what has DA shown? Baltimore and Detroit contained him very well in 2009, despite having two of the worst secondaries in the league. He contained himself against Detroit in Week 1 of 2010, by dropping at LEAST 3 or 4 passes that hit him in the hands, including one throw that was a sure TD if he'd held on. And it's not like he didn't get his chances in the games he played - Cutler clearly loves throwing to the guy, and forced the ball to him like there was no tomorrow. He got 10 passes in Week 1 and dropped 4 easy catches...that's just unacceptable.

I'm not hating on the guy for no reason, I just think the cons vastly outweigh the pros with him. I like his size/speed combination, and I like him on vertical outside-the-numbers stuff, go routes, back-corner fades, etc. But those just aren't enough when you throw in his lack of physicality, his total inconsistency running routes and catching the ball, the fact that he seems to hear footsteps over the middle, and the fact that he doesn't play in the slot or offer anything on special teams. Plus, we have other guys who can run 7, 8, and 9 routes. We need a guy who can go over the middle, be in the right place at the right time, and reliably catch the ball in traffic. DA isn't that guy, any more than Hester or Knox are.

The Colts figured he wasn't worth keeping, and they definitely know how to evaluate receivers, especially the late-round/free-agent types. Peyton Manning has made a lot of receivers less talented than Aromashodu look really good, because they're consistent and dependable. Aromashodu has enough physical talent to be a starting receiver, but so far he's proven (with multiple teams) that he's too inconsistent and unreliable to earn the job. It's time to cut him and move on.