Angelo wants to focus on multiple positions

balta1701-A

I know that a big name would be nice, but I'm not sure he's wrong here; everyone on reading this can name 3-4 positions where the Bears could use either one more starter or legitimate depth.

While he said there will be a "bevy" of talented players available in free agency, it sounded like Angelo wants to fortify a couple positions instead of hunting the big fish.

If true, that could rule out chasing a marquee wide receiver like Sidney Rice, who will become a free agent unless the Vikings re-sign him.

But it wouldn't necessarily eliminate the pursuit of talented offensive linemen. The free-agent class will be significantly larger because it will include the players prevented from hitting the open market last offseason when six years of service were required in the uncapped year for players to be unrestricted.

"We're not one player away," Angelo said. "We need to get better at positions, we need to upgrade, create more competition and then we've got to come together as a team."

He classified the addition of Julius Peppers, who received the biggest contract in free agency last year, as an "aberration." But keep in mind that the Bears made other significant signings with tight end Brandon Manumaleuna and running back Chester Taylor.

While much can change when the combine is over, he labeled the draft class below average but said it's particularly strong on the defensive line and "solid" on the offensive line. He called the secondary "OK," and that will be a position the Bears target. The skill positions are not as good as usual.

The Bears haven't had a consistent nickel pass rusher since Mark Anderson had 12 sacks in 2006, and that could be an area that is targeted in the first three rounds.

Offensive line, cornerback and maybe wide receiver are positions that will likely be addressed in the draft, but Smith strongly defended the receivers and said the team has a solid "core."

I know that a big name would be nice, but I'm not sure he's wrong here; everyone on reading this can name 3-4 positions where the Bears could use either one more starter or legitimate depth.

What team couldn't name 3-4 positions where they could use a big name or legitimate depth?

Don't forget last year at this time JA was going around saying they wouldn't make a big splash in free agency. He wisely lied. Nobody expected us to get the jump on Julius Peppers. I'm just saying you have to take everything they are saying with a grain of salt. Lovie defending his WR's could mean the exact opposite (although I doubt it . . . )

What team couldn't name 3-4 positions where they could use a big name or legitimate depth?

Don't forget last year at this time JA was going around saying they wouldn't make a big splash in free agency. He wisely lied. Nobody expected us to get the jump on Julius Peppers. I'm just saying you have to take everything they are saying with a grain of salt. Lovie defending his WR's could mean the exact opposite (although I doubt it . . . )

great point. JA and company have always told us what they think we want to hear, which isnt saying much. I just hope that they strike gold a couple of times in this draft especially with an olinemen in the 1st round.