Unrealistic trade idea!

chwtom

How about we send Cutler to Cincinatti for Palmer and their first round pick (number 4 overall)? Then we draft AJ Green at #4.

Palmer won't play for Cincinatti anymore--he said he'd retire before he played there again. He could be posturing, but who knows. Cincinatti is thought to be looking for a qb at #4.

In my opinion, Cutler doesn't have the accuracy or decision-making needed to get our team a Lombardi. I don't know that Palmer does either, but I think Palmer's strengths (timing throws, accuracy, decision-making) mesh with Martz's system better than Cutler's strengths (cannon arm, mobility). I'd take my chances with Palmer, a new o-line and a Andre Johnson-like receiver over Cutler, Knox and a new line.

It's not going to happen, but it's interesting to think about.

How about we send Cutler to Cincinatti for Palmer and their first round pick (number 4 overall)? Then we draft AJ Green at #4.

Palmer won't play for Cincinatti anymore--he said he'd retire before he played there again. He could be posturing, but who knows. Cincinatti is thought to be looking for a qb at #4.

In my opinion, Cutler doesn't have the accuracy or decision-making needed to get our team a Lombardi. I don't know that Palmer does either, but I think Palmer's strengths (timing throws, accuracy, decision-making) mesh with Martz's system better than Cutler's strengths (cannon arm, mobility). I'd take my chances with Palmer, a new o-line and a Andre Johnson-like receiver over Cutler, Knox and a new line.

2 problems with the trade:

1. Is Cutler better then Palmer? Palmer has issues and is on the decline, but he put up better numbers last year (albeit for a bad team). Cutler's stock is not high now.

2. The #4 pick is worthless unless there's a new CBA which changes the money top picks receive. Washington gave last year's #4 pick Trent Williams 60+ million with 37 million guaranteed. For that much money we could sign Percy Harvin & have enough left over to sign another player.

One of the reasons we were able to afford Peppers was because we didn't have to spend money on top picks. I'll take the proven veteran over the expensive/unproven rookie any day. To hell with the top 10 picks.

2. The #4 pick is worthless unless there's a new CBA which changes the money top picks receive. Washington gave last year's #4 pick Trent Williams 60+ million with 37 million guaranteed. For that much money we could sign Percy Harvin & have enough left over to sign another player.

I'll be absolutely stunned if there isn't a rookie wage scale at the end of this.

Nah. Cutler's our a-hole! I prefer to keep him! More upside... Plus I don't trust JA using the pick correctly...

1. Is Cutler better then Palmer? Palmer has issues and is on the decline, but he put up better numbers last year (albeit for a bad team). Cutler's stock is not high now.

Also, now that I think about it...

Last year, Cutler put up a (slightly) higher QB rating than Palmer did. Cutler did that while Palmer had 2 big name WR's, and Cutler did that behind one of the worse O-lines in the NFL. Cleveland's O-Line wasn't necessarily great...but how many other QB's would have even survived behind the Bears O-Line last year?

Last year, Cutler put up a (slightly) higher QB rating than Palmer did. Cutler did that while Palmer had 2 big name WR's, and Cutler did that behind one of the worse O-lines in the NFL. Cleveland's O-Line wasn't necessarily great...but how many other QB's would have even survived behind the Bears O-Line last year?

Yeah, Cutler significantly outperformed Palmer, despite having a WAY worse o-line and no go-to wideout. Cincinnati's o-line is underrated...Whitworth is a top 12 left tackle (allowed just 1.5 sacks last season) and their interior line is very solid. From left tackle through right guard, every member of the Bengals' o-line would start over his counterpart on the Bears. Webb could maybe compete, because Cincinnati's guys at RT are underwhelming. If Palmer could barely get it done behind that o-line, how's he going to look in Chicago?

Palmer's numbers are not better than Cutler's. Palmer put up more total yardage than Cutler, but that's misleading, since he threw the ball 586 times to Cutler's 432. Look at their yards-per-attempt, and it's clear that Cutler's on a completely different level. Palmer averaged 6.8 yards per passing attempt, which puts him 21st in the league (tied with Hasselbeck and Ryan Fitzpatrick.) That's a pretty poor mark, unless you're a game-manager in an ultra-conservative passing offense. Cutler, on the other hand, had 7.6 yards per attempt - tied with Matt Schaub for 6th in the league. The only guys who did better were Rivers, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Vick, and Brady.

I mean, compare their stat lines if Cutler had thrown the ball as many times as Palmer:

Palmer: 362 completions on 586 attempts, for 3,970 yards, 26 TDs, 20 Interceptions

Cutler: 354 completions on 586 attempts for 4,441 yards, 31 TDs, 21 Interceptions

Here's my two cents on the trade: Palmer was good back in 2006-2007, but his arm strength has been declining ever since he refused to get Tommy John surgery, and his mobility disappeared when that Steelers DT destroyed his knee. The Bears need a QB with enough arm to throw through the wind at Soldier Field and enough scrambling ability to compensate for a bad o-line. Palmer has neither. On top of that, his ball placement has gotten really hit-or-miss since the elbow injury, which would hurt him in Martz's offense. I don't know if it's because he's lost some velocity on the ball or what, but last season it looked like he couldn't lead his receivers or fit the ball into a tight space. And that's all ignoring the fact that he's 31 years old...he's only going to get worse from here on out.

Getting AJ Green would be great for Chicago, but losing Cutler for Palmer would send them right back to square one at QB. They finally got that position solidified after god knows how long...if there's a worse move they could make than trading Cutler away, I can't think of what it would be. It'd be one step forward, ten steps back.

Palmer was horrible last year. His timing throws were way off and sometimes he just flat looked lost or uncertain about where to throw the ball and it wasn't always that receivers were covered. The only big surprise is that Cincinnati still wants him.

Palmer was horrible last year. His timing throws were way off and sometimes he just flat looked lost or uncertain about where to throw the ball and it wasn't always that receivers were covered. The only big surprise is that Cincinnati still wants him.

I'm not even sure they want him that bad. In an interview at the Combine, their DC said that he hasn't even bothered to watch film of the 1st-round defensive players...it's THAT much of a sure thing that they'll be going offense in the 1st. They've got a few good receivers, serviceable running backs, a promising young TE, and a very solid o-line...that only leaves one position that they could be considering at #4. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they picked Cam Newton, or Blaine Gabbert if the Panthers take Newton first overall.

Good points on Cutler being better! It's refreshing to hear the positive on the guy. All things being equal, I'd take Cutler.

Yeah, Cutler significantly outperformed Palmer, despite having a WAY worse o-line and no go-to wideout. Cincinnati's o-line is underrated...Whitworth is a top 12 left tackle (allowed just 1.5 sacks last season) and their interior line is very solid. From left tackle through right guard, every member of the Bengals' o-line would start over his counterpart on the Bears. Webb could maybe compete, because Cincinnati's guys at RT are underwhelming. If Palmer could barely get it done behind that o-line, how's he going to look in Chicago?

Palmer's numbers are not better than Cutler's. Palmer put up more total yardage than Cutler, but that's misleading, since he threw the ball 586 times to Cutler's 432. Look at their yards-per-attempt, and it's clear that Cutler's on a completely different level. Palmer averaged 6.8 yards per passing attempt, which puts him 21st in the league (tied with Hasselbeck and Ryan Fitzpatrick.) That's a pretty poor mark, unless you're a game-manager in an ultra-conservative passing offense. Cutler, on the other hand, had 7.6 yards per attempt - tied with Matt Schaub for 6th in the league. The only guys who did better were Rivers, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Vick, and Brady.

I mean, compare their stat lines if Cutler had thrown the ball as many times as Palmer:

Palmer: 362 completions on 586 attempts, for 3,970 yards, 26 TDs, 20 Interceptions

Cutler: 354 completions on 586 attempts for 4,441 yards, 31 TDs, 21 Interceptions

Here's my two cents on the trade: Palmer was good back in 2006-2007, but his arm strength has been declining ever since he refused to get Tommy John surgery, and his mobility disappeared when that Steelers DT destroyed his knee. The Bears need a QB with enough arm to throw through the wind at Soldier Field and enough scrambling ability to compensate for a bad o-line. Palmer has neither. On top of that, his ball placement has gotten really hit-or-miss since the elbow injury, which would hurt him in Martz's offense. I don't know if it's because he's lost some velocity on the ball or what, but last season it looked like he couldn't lead his receivers or fit the ball into a tight space. And that's all ignoring the fact that he's 31 years old...he's only going to get worse from here on out.

Getting AJ Green would be great for Chicago, but losing Cutler for Palmer would send them right back to square one at QB. They finally got that position solidified after god knows how long...if there's a worse move they could make than trading Cutler away, I can't think of what it would be. It'd be one step forward, ten steps back.