Bears cut KS, TH, and HH

Ed Hochuli 3:16

WHOA!!! I mean, this is something many of us have thought was the right move, but it still wasn't something I expected the Bears to do.

Judging from the last few years, Angelo must have a hard time getting shorts over his huge nuts. Go big or go home!

Ha!

Hunter is no surprise, nor is Shaffer.

Harris shouldn't be...but kind of is.

WHOA!!! I mean, this is something many of us have thought was the right move, but it still wasn't something I expected the Bears to do.

Judging from the last few years, Angelo must have a hard time getting shorts over his huge nuts. Go big or go home!

I think Paea's awesome, but I'm not sure that he's a fit for the Bears. They need a replacement for Tommie Harris, and Paea's not a great three-technique prospect. He really doesn't have any pass-rushing moves other than a bull rush, and he doesn't have the kind of quickness and agility that great pass-rushing 3-techs need to have. Mostly, he's just incredibly strong and impossible to move backward. In the Bears' D, I think he'd play the 1-tech, Anthony Adams' position. He'd be great at it, but that's not the biggest need on the d-line right now.

It's probably a moot point anyway; I'd be shocked if he's still around when the Bears pick in the 2nd. CBS Sports has Paea as a borderline 1st-2nd round pick, and their rankings are usually more accurate than most. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the mid-1st: between weighing in over 300 pounds and the ridiculous bench press, a lot of 3-4 teams are probably going to be considering him as a nose tackle, which is a huge premium position. Paea's not the traditional build for NT, but he's similar in terms of build and strength to Kyle Williams on the Bills or Kelly Gregg on the Ravens, and both those guys are beasts at nose. If 3-4 teams think he can play nose tackle, he's not making it out of the first 40 or 50 picks.

Bears terminate contracts of T.Harris, H.Hillenmeyer, and K.Shaffer, per everyone's twitter.

Tommie was a $$$ issue, but it does surprise me we've seem to "cut ties" indicating we won't resign him. On a defense predicated by a quick DT who can get to the QB, he's the only guy we've got that fits that description. Who do we replace him with?

While the draft is an option, you can't count on a rookie. It'll be interesting to see what we do.

On that note, HH & Shaffer didn't fit, but those guys were always class acts who took care of business.

Goodbye to Tommie Harris. I wish we had you for the Superbowl in 2006 because we might very well have won that game. For now, I'm glad to finally see one of my predictions on roster moves come true. Like the Cubs, I've been due for about 10 years. Ok, perhaps the Cubs have been due a little longer than that.

Tommie was a $$$ issue, but it does surprise me we've seem to "cut ties" indicating we won't resign him. On a defense predicated by a quick DT who can get to the QB, he's the only guy we've got that fits that description. Who do we replace him with?

While the draft is an option, you can't count on a rookie. It'll be interesting to see what we do.

I've heard that Melton could be an option. He's got the quickness and agility, but he's pretty undersized. I see him more as an interior nickel rusher, but that could still be a solution, at least for a year. Ideally, you'd have a three-down under tackle, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to use more of a run-plugging DT (like Toeaina) on first and second down, then sub Melton in for third downs and obvious passing situations. It's not as good as having a legit 3-tech who can play the run and the pass, but it could be a band-aid solution while we develop a rookie to take over.

In truth, I've known this day was coming since I landed on IR back in September. In that conversation with Lovie, he acknowledged that having been made aware of my history, and the number of concussions I had sustained on his watch, that he could not be a part of forcing me back out on the field.

"While at the time I was frustrated with such an abrupt end to my season, I have sought out and continue to seek the medical opinions of the best doctors in country as it relates to brain health and concussions. I am yet to find one that thinks it is a good idea to continue playing football. In hindsight, that makes me grateful that Lovie cared enough about me specifically, but really any player, to take that decision away as it pertains to a medical issue.

"Barring some unforeseen turn of events, I don't think there was a set of circumstances where I would have been cleared to play next season anyway..."

Excerpt from HH

hillenmeyer say goodbye

I've heard that Melton could be an option. He's got the quickness and agility, but he's pretty undersized. I see him more as an interior nickel rusher, but that could still be a solution, at least for a year. Ideally, you'd have a three-down under tackle, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to use more of a run-plugging DT (like Toeaina) on first and second down, then sub Melton in for third downs and obvious passing situations. It's not as good as having a legit 3-tech who can play the run and the pass, but it could be a band-aid solution while we develop a rookie to take over.

Just hear me out on this wacky idea.

Towards the end of the season Corey Wooten was getting more playing time and so was Melton. When you look at it both made a couple of clutch plays and Wooten's sack of Farve will endear him to me for quite some time but if he makes the strides this offseason that Melton has made we may have the makings of a nice DE rotation. So where does that leave Izzy? Would you be mad if he was shifted back inside again to DT? I wouldn't. Now say this scenario arises in the draft and say the Bears do their usual reach and draft Marvin Austin in the first round, a rotation of Toeina,Melton,Austin and Harrison inside might not be bad. Your DE rotation of Peppers, Izzy,Wooten and sometimes Melton also is intriguing. As I put down my shot glass and grab an unopened 1.75 litre of my favorite beverage, disregard my plea for you to hear me out for a wac-hic-wac-hic-wacky idea.

Here's to Wooten! Right now, he can do no wrong for me based on that most amazing play!

Just hear me out on this wacky idea.

Towards the end of the season Corey Wooten was getting more playing time and so was Melton. When you look at it both made a couple of clutch plays and Wooten's sack of Farve will endear him to me for quite some time but if he makes the strides this offseason that Melton has made we may have the makings of a nice DE rotation. So where does that leave Izzy? Would you be mad if he was shifted back inside again to DT? I wouldn't. Now say this scenario arises in the draft and say the Bears do their usual reach and draft Marvin Austin in the first round, a rotation of Toeina,Melton,Austin and Harrison inside might not be bad. Your DE rotation of Peppers, Izzy,Wooten and sometimes Melton also is intriguing. As I put down my shot glass and grab an unopened 1.75 litre of my favorite beverage, disregard my plea for you to hear me out for a wac-hic-wac-hic-wacky idea.

After seeing his stats at the combine and hearing all the praise heaped upon by the likes of Sapp, Austin seems the like the perfect (and typical) Bears reach at the end of Rd 1. If Pouncey is there, JA you better realize he has the higher floor and fits a bigger need!

After seeing his stats at the combine and hearing all the praise heaped upon by the likes of Sapp, Austin seems the like the perfect (and typical) Bears reach at the end of Rd 1. If Pouncey is there, JA you better realize he has the higher floor and fits a bigger need!

I don't think anybody is going to take a risk on Austin in Round 1, especially not with how deep this D-line class is. Fairley, Dareus, Paea, Liuget, and Muhammad Wilkerson will all go before him, plus all the ridiculous DEs this year. Even after his great Combine, I think there's a very good chance that he makes it to the Bears' pick in the bottom of the 2nd round. He was being projected as a 2nd-to-3rd round pick before the Combine, so just solidifying himself as a late 2nd-rounder would be a step up for him.

So here's a player that could be the answer at three-technique: Brandon Mebane, from the Seahawks. He played both the nose and the three-tech in Seattle, and Ruskell (our new personnel guy) is the one who drafted him. He's either going to be a UFA or a restricted FA, depending on how the new CBA shakes out, but even if he's restricted, they only tendered him at the original pick level, so he would only cost a 3rd-rounder to get. He's still fairly young (26) and he's great against the run, pretty good rushing the passer. I'd be very OK with a line of Peppers-Adams-Mebane-Idonije, and then rotating to Peppers-Mebane-Melton-Idonije on passing downs to get a little more rush. Plus, getting a starting DT with our 3rd-rounder would free us up to go OL-WR or OL-OL in the 1st and 2nd.

Russkell drafted him and then got fired. Ok it wasn't based on that pick but when Seahawk fans are happy to see Russkell go there's a reason. We're all accustomed how JA drafts but it's going to be different this year for a couple reasons: We have Russkell in and Lovie now has a diminished role in personnel decisions. I'm glad Lovie's role is reduced because it seemed he was the guy pushing for the draft day reaches in guys like DManning because of their athleticism.

If Mebane was UFA I'd be interested in him but I don't think we should trade a 3rd for him considering the draft is supposed to be deep in Oline and Dline this year. If Seattle were willing to go for a 4th Rd pick then we should have some discussions. Any idea what kind of a contract Mebane wants?