Guy in the draft you DON'T want?

dawhizz

Like others here, I've started to look to the draft and we've seen a lot of names thrown out. Any guys that are potential targets for the Bears you really want them to stay away from?

I'll start: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pitt. Seems like the big WR the Bears need and may be around when the Bears pick in the first, but he doesn't make anyone miss, looks like a TE when he runs, and he body-catches way too much (even when he catches with his hands, he seems to need to hold the ball against his body to steady it). Mix in attitude/maturity concerns and I'm out.

I'm also weary of Mike Pouncey in the first. I think if his name was Mike Jones, he'd be a third round pick.

Body catch? watch his Backyard brawl video. Or better yet watch his Highlight vid, one handed catches. As for Attitude you have to read into it I read the articles that claimed he Character problems, It seemed more biased then factual. Ill take in the middle. So he is more like Jackson or Smith as attitude goes. Diva type. But as far practice and staying outa the law. He is solid.

Body catch? watch his Backyard brawl video. Or better yet watch his Highlight vid, one handed catches. As for Attitude you have to read into it I read the articles that claimed he Character problems, It seemed more biased then factual. Ill take in the middle. So he is more like Jackson or Smith as attitude goes. Diva type. But as far practice and staying outa the law. He is solid.

Yeah, I think Baldwin's problems are pretty manageable, all told. Especially when you consider his potential physically.

I like the idea for this thread, though. Here's my two cents:

Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland: seen him projected to the Bears more than once. I love the guy as a prospect, but not for Chicago. He's got decent size and phenomenal speed, but needs a HUGE amount of work on his route-running. He's very gifted and is apparently an ultra-high-character guy, but he's just too raw. As a rookie, he's only really going to provide a deep threat, and the Bears have that covered. Down the road he could end up a very good #1 receiver, but it's going to take a lot of time and the Bears need a #1 target right away.

Yeah, I think Baldwin's problems are pretty manageable, all told. Especially when you consider his potential physically.

I like the idea for this thread, though. Here's my two cents:

Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland: seen him projected to the Bears more than once. I love the guy as a prospect, but not for Chicago. He's got decent size and phenomenal speed, but needs a HUGE amount of work on his route-running. He's very gifted and is apparently an ultra-high-character guy, but he's just too raw. As a rookie, he's only really going to provide a deep threat, and the Bears have that covered. Down the road he could end up a very good #1 receiver, but it's going to take a lot of time and the Bears need a #1 target right away.

DFG what you just said sound very much like another Maryland alum Darius Heywerd-Bey. Like you said the Bears don't need anymore "Raw" guys than they already have if you consider the growing pains of Johnny Knox, Hester and Bennett. This team needs a solid route running possession-type WR that can get seperation by using his size and technique. Thats why I like the prospect of them going for Greg Little or Randall Cobb who IMO is going to be similar to Greg Jennings.

To answer the thread question, I have to say Edmund Gates from Abilene Christian WR who ran one of the fastest times of the WR group at the Combine. I have learned through extensive research for the past few years that some of the smaller faster guys at this event don't translate to the next level. How is Jerome Mathis and Yamon Figures doing in the NFL? Not so good. They both posted blistering times in the 40 at the Combine but have yet to really make an impact besides on special teams. Matis actually made the Pro Bowl as a returner for the Texans in his rookie season but has battled some injury problems also.

This kid is considered raw with good hands but is a little lacking in route running (A Martz No-No) and shys away from middle routes.(See DA).

DFG what you just said sound very much like another Maryland alum Darius Heywerd-Bey. Like you said the Bears don't need anymore "Raw" guys than they already have if you consider the growing pains of Johnny Knox, Hester and Bennett. This team needs a solid route running possession-type WR that can get seperation by using his size and technique. Thats why I like the prospect of them going for Greg Little or Randall Cobb who IMO is going to be similar to Greg Jennings.

Well, Smith isn't THAT raw; he's already a more polished wideout than DHB, but that's not saying very much. I think he'll eventually be a very good WR (which I don't think DHB will) but it's just going to take too long.

But yeah, I'm with you all the way - the Bears have enough speedy, raw receivers. They need a big possession guy who runs good routes. I'm starting to warm up to Austin Pettis - his speed is a concern, but he looked really smooth changing directions at the Combine, and he shows really good hands in traffic when you watch his college games. The Bears should be taking a long look at both Little and Pettis in Round 3-4. Randall Cobb is EXACTLY the kind of route runner that Martz would love, but I'm not sure he'll last until the Bears pick in the 2nd. Lots of teams would love to have that guy.

Well, Smith isn't THAT raw; he's already a more polished wideout than DHB, but that's not saying very much. I think he'll eventually be a very good WR (which I don't think DHB will) but it's just going to take too long.

But yeah, I'm with you all the way - the Bears have enough speedy, raw receivers. They need a big possession guy who runs good routes. I'm starting to warm up to Austin Pettis - his speed is a concern, but he looked really smooth changing directions at the Combine, and he shows really good hands in traffic when you watch his college games. The Bears should be taking a long look at both Little and Pettis in Round 3-4. Randall Cobb is EXACTLY the kind of route runner that Martz would love, but I'm not sure he'll last until the Bears pick in the 2nd. Lots of teams would love to have that guy.

DFG are you looking on my cheat sheet? Just kidding of course. I remember you saying you were watching the Combine when I was and we have echoed some of the same comments about the same guys because you are look at these guys as footbal player first and not going gaga over their Combine exploits. Beacuse I get off from work at Noon on Sat. I get to watch a lot of college games and that some times totals 5 games in a week and through my eyes-sight and the analysis on each broadcast I get to learn more about these players.

On another note I have a question for you. There is a WR from Western Michigan that wore number 83 who I believe has the last name of White that I like also as a late rounder or UFA. You got any info on this guy? I'm stumped.

DFG are you looking on my cheat sheet? Just kidding of course. I remember you saying you were watching the Combine when I was and we have echoed some of the same comments about the same guys because you are look at these guys as footbal player first and not going gaga over their Combine exploits. Beacuse I get off from work at Noon on Sat. I get to watch a lot of college games and that some times totals 5 games in a week and through my eyes-sight and the analysis on each broadcast I get to learn more about these players.

On another note I have a question for you. There is a WR from Western Michigan that wore number 83 who I believe has the last name of White that I like also as a late rounder or UFA. You got any info on this guy? I'm stumped.

I found him. Jordan White 6-0 208, 94 receptions 10 TDs 1378 yds and14.7 per catch.

The player I don't want: Mark Ingram.

Reasons?

1) RB is not needed

2) He's not really that fast

3) I watched multiple Alabama games this year, and always was more impressed with the OL than the RB

4) Richardson stepped in and did just as well

5) He won the Heisman because of hype, not necessarily performance (Toby Gerhardt should have won and had better stats)

6) The entire team is packed full of future NFL players, and the opponents usually have at least a few less

7) He reminds me of Emmitt Smith, a player I was never terribly impressed with (watch a highlight film and you'll see a bunch of OL studs plowing holes)

I admit that most of this may be because of #7.

To say he reminds you Emmitt Smith and were not impressed with him, says everything I need to know about your Viewing of Games. Especially after watching Mr Smiths HOF induction.

To keep on the thread. Robert Sands DB WV. Called "The Predator" No feet at all. Long 6'4" Not much of ball hawk, but he does take good angles to light people up. Just dont think he would fit.

I think jason took this too serious. I think he meant what player what have you seen mocked to the Bears but do not want any part of.

There are a few players. It used to be Anthony Castonzo, but he's looked good. Nate Solder once looked like he'd have no chance of falling to the Bears, and he's been unimpressive.

If I had to choose AT THIS JUNCTURE, I'd say Derrek Sherrod, or any RT for that matter. J'Marcus Webb is horses*** at this point, but he showed promise for a 7th round pick from a small school.

To say he reminds you Emmitt Smith and were not impressed with him, says everything I need to know about your Viewing of Games. Especially after watching Mr Smiths HOF induction.

To keep on the thread. Robert Sands DB WV. Called "The Predator" No feet at all. Long 6'4" Not much of ball hawk, but he does take good angles to light people up. Just dont think he would fit.

Seriously. Emmitt Smith was a very good pro, but nowhere near the credit he gets. He made a career of running behind the best OL in possibly NFL history, and the majority of his monster runs were the direct result of holes that anyone on this board could run through.

I think jason took this too serious. I think he meant what player what have you seen mocked to the Bears but do not want any part of.

There are a few players. It used to be Anthony Castonzo, but he's looked good. Nate Solder once looked like he'd have no chance of falling to the Bears, and he's been unimpressive.

If I had to choose AT THIS JUNCTURE, I'd say Derrek Sherrod, or any RT for that matter. J'Marcus Webb is horses*** at this point, but he showed promise for a 7th round pick from a small school.

I understood the intent, just chose to go an alternate route. I can't think of too many players I specifically don't want. If the Bears pick the right positions for a change, that, in and of itself, would make me fairly happy.