draft woes

bowlingtwig

I found this hilarious. Everyone talks about how good the Patriots are and everything so much it makes most of us sick. So check this out. My information is from NFLDraftBible on Twitter. Between 2005-2008 the Patriots had a total of 26 picks and hit on just 3 of them. (Meriweather/Mayo/D. Thomas) He refuses to call Gostkowski a hit because he was a 4th rd pick where Brandon Marshall was selected just after him and Elvis Dumervil and also Ray Edwards later in the rd. He refuses to call a 4th rd pick on a Kicker a hit. I tend to agree with him as we have a better Kicker and he was undrafted. Just saying.

They went 14-2 last year. They'll probably repeat that this year. I looked at their roster and out of the 74 players on their roster 36 had 1, 2 or 3 years experience(49%). We are 22 of 65 for 34%. They are younger and will continue to get younger while we will probably go in the other direction for a year or two before an upswing in youth. I'm not going to crack their stones at all for what they are doing.

If you really look at it, every team in the league have tons of misses when it comes to drafting. Not to mention that some of the teams appear to do better in the draft simply by forcing draft picks into action on really bad teams. The Bears have done this themselves a few times where we applaud them for drafting a guy who is starting, and the next thing you know, they are off the team and out of the league.

When you look at successful drafts, I don't think you can look at the number of guys who remain on the team or possibly even starting, but you have to look at the guys drafted that are consistently considered very good players in the league. Angelo hasn't dialed up that kind of success much. Going to nfl.com and looking at the draft history for the Bears, in the last 5 years, the only guys the Bears who have drafted that have been consistently good are Forte, Olsen and Hester.

Admitedly, some of the guys we have drafted could still develop. You really have to look at these over time. Hell, 2005 looks like a pretty damn good draft for the Bears considering we picked Benson, Orton, and Chris Harris.

Does Angelo get credit for drafting Benson? He's turned into a good running back, although he was a tremendous bust for the Bears.

I think it points out again just how important the QB is in this league. When you have the QB position set it makes every else appear to be a better player. Indy, NE, NO, SD, GB, and yes the Bears. You have to consider how far we got with so little talent on offense, in particular the Oline. All of the above teams have had the advantage of not having to devote early picks to the QB position for years. It also frees up scouting resources to focus on other positions. We are just entering that phase since we gave up so much to get Cutler.

Does Angelo get credit for drafting Benson? He's turned into a good running back, although he was a tremendous bust for the Bears.

In my opinion, no. A draft pick is measured on personal and team success. If the player is not successful for the team who drafted him, then the player is a bust for that team. Benson is a double-bust in my opinion because I still contend, just as many of us did before he was drafted, that he was unnecessary at the time.

In my opinion, no. A draft pick is measured on personal and team success. If the player is not successful for the team who drafted him, then the player is a bust for that team. Benson is a double-bust in my opinion because I still contend, just as many of us did before he was drafted, that he was unnecessary at the time.

Yeah, I agree. It's never a good idea to spend a pick that high on a running back, unless the guy's a generational talent like Adrian Peterson or Ricky Williams. And for all the comparisons, Benson was no Ricky Williams in terms of talent. He looked like he'd be a pretty good bell-cow running back, not a game-changing player. Plus, they already had Thomas Jones, who'd put in a very solid performance in 2004. If anything, they just needed a good complement to Jones. You can find those guys anywhere in the draft if you look.

Granted, that was a bad year to have a high first-round pick. Very few teams got a real stud like DeMarcus Ware. That said, the Benson pick could have been Antrel Rolle (who might have been able to stay at corner in a Cover-2, or he could have replaced Mike Brown at FS) or Jammal Brown (who could have started out at RT and then taken over at LT after Tait got old.) Either of those guys would have been a WAY better pick than Benson, even without the benefit of hindsight. And who knows how good the 2006 Bears could have been if they'd had Ware at DE. A d-line of Ware-Tank-Tommie-Wale with Alex Brown and Mark Anderson rotating in would have been a nightmare.

Yes, we needed a big-time WR like Mike Williams/Troy Williamson or a shut down corner like Pac Man Jones. :)

I'll bet that's easily the worst top 10 draft of all time

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft...d=round1#round1

Yes, we needed a big-time WR like Mike Williams/Troy Williamson or a shut down corner like Pac Man Jones. :)

I'll bet that's easily the worst top 10 draft of all time

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft...d=round1#round1

Different point, it has no bearing on whether or not Benson should have been drafted. And aside from that, it's impossible to determine what a Player A on Team B would have been able to do. If Tom Brady were drafted by the Texans, he wouldn't be the current version of Tom Brady. He'd be Sage Rosenfels.