Reaching on Draft Day

jason

I've seen several mention the hope that the Bears do not reach on draft day. This is especially true with the first round pick. Made me think of the following question:

Would any of these guys be a reach?

Tyron Smith

Anthony Castonzo

Nate Solder

Mike Pouncey

Gabe Carmini

Derek Sherrod

If the answer is yes, then it's a bit of surprise to me. But that's player evaluation for you. People disagree.

If the answer is no, then there is no reason one of those guys shouldn't be available when the Bears pick. And the guy who they have rated the highest should be selected.

Sherrod might be a slight reach. ESPN has him at #41, just ahead of Cannon who's #44. Everything I've read has him listed as the 5th best tackle, and likely a RT.

You can't reach in the 1st round. If we think Corey Liuget is the 13th best player in the entire draft, and he's there at #29, you draft him.

I'd be THRILLED with Smith, Castonzo, Solder, Carmini, or Pouncey. I'd be thrilled with Liuget. We're often linked to Sherrod & Marvin Austin in the mocks. If they are a slight reach, I hope we're able to trade down

I've seen several mention the hope that the Bears do not reach on draft day. This is especially true with the first round pick. Made me think of the following question:

Would any of these guys be a reach?

Tyron Smith

Anthony Castonzo

Nate Solder

Mike Pouncey

Gabe Carmini

Derek Sherrod

If the answer is yes, then it's a bit of surprise to me. But that's player evaluation for you. People disagree.

If the answer is no, then there is no reason one of those guys shouldn't be available when the Bears pick. And the guy who they have rated the highest should be selected.