Time for "Bears are cheap" talk...

madlithuanian

I think it's risky to lose either of them.

Toub - He's dominated year after year after year. Dude is the best ST coach in the NFL. For as long as he's been here, the Bears have not only returned well on kickoffs and punts, but they have covered extrememly well.

Martz - Has shown past brilliance, and was essentially hog-tied in his offense because of one of the worst OL in NFL history. Showed the ability to adjust when his offense wouldn't work and was directly responsible for a philosophy modifcation that changed the Bears' season. On top of that, do the Bears really need to change offensive schemes AGAIN? It would be nice for Cutler to get a chance with the same offense for more than one year.

I'm pleased with the coaches on offense and special teams.

Toub - He's dominated year after year after year. Dude is the best ST coach in the NFL. For as long as he's been here, the Bears have not only returned well on kickoffs and punts, but they have covered extrememly well.

Agreed. He deserves a fat raise.

Martz - Has shown past brilliance, and was essentially hog-tied in his offense because of one of the worst OL in NFL history.

I can't argue with that. I was thrilled when we hired him . . . that being said, he's lucky he wasn't fired on the spot after the Giants game. The o-line sucked . . . so quit passing the damn ball!

Showed the ability to adjust when his offense wouldn't work and was directly responsible for a philosophy modifcation that changed the Bears' season.

He was directly responsible for the modification? It's a rumor, but I assumed Lovie told him to knock the stupidity or leave.

Week 17 vs. Green Bay, he reverts back to his old ways, again almost getting Cutler killed. If the offense does anything, the Packers don't make the playoffs . . .

On top of that, do the Bears really need to change offensive schemes AGAIN? It would be nice for Cutler to get a chance with the same offense for more than one year.

If he keeps getting Cutler killed it won't matter. As I mentioned, I was thrilled with the Martz hire, but the offense got worse and the Mad Genius looked incompetent. If Martz walks, he'll have had bad experiences with Detroit, San Fran, and Chicago. I can't imagine any team will make him their OC again.

Make him earn it this year. If the offense performs, pay him. You don't reward a guy for incompetence.

Hard to say what is a good offer when there's a reasonable chance these guys won't even work this year. If that were to happen or even a partial season there's no telling what happens to ticket revenues. We've seen this before in plenty of other sports to know that fallout from a prolonged lockout/strike (either) is not well received by fans. Anyway, it's early on in the negotiation process and these were likely just feeler offer the Bears put forth to get a idea what the other side is looking for. It always gets blown out of proportion, and it's done by those who want the negative publicity against the owners.