Mayock's got us taking PIT WR, Baldwin

madlithuanian

You know this is a bad mock for the Bears when Mayock writes, "The Bears want offensive or defensive line help, but at this point in the draft, those spots have been hit hard. If a trade down isn’t an option . . . " I'd think we'd take Sherrod over Baldwin.

I tend to agree.

You know this is a bad mock for the Bears when Mayock writes, "The Bears want offensive or defensive line help, but at this point in the draft, those spots have been hit hard. If a trade down isn’t an option . . . " I'd think we'd take Sherrod over Baldwin.

I tend to agree.

+2

I agree the Bears need a bigger WR at some point...one who Cutler could "throw open" and hit their back shoulder as they're being covered. He can't do that with all of the small WRs the Bears currently have. I believe that is a big reason as to why Cut loved throwing to Aromashodu so much.

However- they can find other ways of addressing that type of WR without using a 1st Rounder on one.

+2

I agree the Bears need a bigger WR at some point...one who Cutler could "throw open" and hit their back shoulder as they're being covered. He can't do that with all of the small WRs the Bears currently have. I believe that is a big reason as to why Cut loved throwing to Aromashodu so much.

However- they can find other ways of addressing that type of WR without using a 1st Rounder on one.

I know a lot of people don't like Baldwin, but he seems like a big, physical receiver that Cutler would really benefit by having. The hard part is, we also need oline help. However, I could live with Baldwin. The question is going to be whether he's fast enough to get open and what his work ethic is. The size and physical skills appear to be there.

Can he become a polished route-runner, have great hands, and create enough seperate, time will tell. The one key is, only one of those things requires physical ability (seperation), the rest is all about how much time you put into your craft.

If the Bears don't pick Baldwin, we better get Sidney Rice. This team won't get anywhere with Johnny Knox and Devin Hester as its #1 and #2 receivers. None of those guys have the ability to be a major threat at moving the chains. We need that Marcus Colston type receiver that might not have that stretch ability but he definitely can go up and grab a ball, and is a guy you can rely upon to make a big catch when it matters. I think Baldwin can be that type of player.

If the Bears don't pick Baldwin, we better get Sidney Rice. This team won't get anywhere with Johnny Knox and Devin Hester as its #1 and #2 receivers. None of those guys have the ability to be a major threat at moving the chains. We need that Marcus Colston type receiver that might not have that stretch ability but he definitely can go up and grab a ball, and is a guy you can rely upon to make a big catch when it matters. I think Baldwin can be that type of player.

I'd rather trade down and make a play for Rice than pick Baldwin. The Bears need an immediate contributor at WR, and rookie WRs very rarely make a big impact. Between Baldwin's so-so route running and Martz's incredibly demanding offense, I'd be pretty surprised if he were able to win a starting job as a rookie. I think he's an incredibly talented player, and down the road he's going to be a legit #1 target, but picking him in the 1st when he won't be an immediate starter seems counter-productive. If Pouncey, Watkins, Marvin Austin, and all the top tackles are gone (like in Mayock's mock,) I'd rather trade down into the early 2nd and add some extra picks. I'd much rather have James Carpenter and Drake Nevis in the 2nd than Baldwin in the 1st. Then we can go after Rice and try to get Cutler a go-to receiver that way.

Also, here's another thought on the WR front: what about Steve Smith? Apparently he wants to go to a contender rather than stick around and rebuild with Clausen and company (who can blame him?) I've been hearing a LOT of people suggest that the Panthers are working with him, and they're going to shop him when trades can happen again. He should be cheap, too...I've been reading that he could go for a 4th or even a 5th. The more I think about it, the more I could see the Bears dealing a 4th or so for Smith. After all, they seem to love trading with Carolina, and our last big trade for a WR was for Moose. Plus, Smith is a great fit for Martz's scheme. He's quick and explosive out of his cuts, which Martz needs above just about anything else. He may only be 5'9", but anybody who's watched him play will tell you that he routinely wins jump balls over much bigger DBs. In fact, I don't think anybody in the league fights harder for the ball in tight coverage. That's just what Cutler needs, and what our current WR group is missing.

Getting Smith on the cheap would give us a #1 receiver for Cutler for right now, and let us develop a later-round WR for a couple of seasons. Rather than pick Baldwin at #29, I'd much rather get Smith as a stopgap and spend a Day 3 pick on Cecil Shorts or Courtney Smith or DeAndre Brown.

I really don't want to draft a WR first...I fear too much learning curve regardless who it is...and we so desperately need the OL help.

Steve Smith is intruiging. His profile is a bit too similar to what we have..(short & speedy). But he is a vet. I don't think I'd have any issue picking him up on the relatively cheap.

I'd rather trade down and make a play for Rice than pick Baldwin. The Bears need an immediate contributor at WR, and rookie WRs very rarely make a big impact. Between Baldwin's so-so route running and Martz's incredibly demanding offense, I'd be pretty surprised if he were able to win a starting job as a rookie. I think he's an incredibly talented player, and down the road he's going to be a legit #1 target, but picking him in the 1st when he won't be an immediate starter seems counter-productive. If Pouncey, Watkins, Marvin Austin, and all the top tackles are gone (like in Mayock's mock,) I'd rather trade down into the early 2nd and add some extra picks. I'd much rather have James Carpenter and Drake Nevis in the 2nd than Baldwin in the 1st. Then we can go after Rice and try to get Cutler a go-to receiver that way.

Also, here's another thought on the WR front: what about Steve Smith? Apparently he wants to go to a contender rather than stick around and rebuild with Clausen and company (who can blame him?) I've been hearing a LOT of people suggest that the Panthers are working with him, and they're going to shop him when trades can happen again. He should be cheap, too...I've been reading that he could go for a 4th or even a 5th. The more I think about it, the more I could see the Bears dealing a 4th or so for Smith. After all, they seem to love trading with Carolina, and our last big trade for a WR was for Moose. Plus, Smith is a great fit for Martz's scheme. He's quick and explosive out of his cuts, which Martz needs above just about anything else. He may only be 5'9", but anybody who's watched him play will tell you that he routinely wins jump balls over much bigger DBs. In fact, I don't think anybody in the league fights harder for the ball in tight coverage. That's just what Cutler needs, and what our current WR group is missing.

Getting Smith on the cheap would give us a #1 receiver for Cutler for right now, and let us develop a later-round WR for a couple of seasons. Rather than pick Baldwin at #29, I'd much rather get Smith as a stopgap and spend a Day 3 pick on Cecil Shorts or Courtney Smith or DeAndre Brown.

Steve Smith is intruiging. His profile is a bit too similar to what we have..(short & speedy). But he is a vet. I don't think I'd have any issue picking him up on the relatively cheap.

Yeah, that's what I thought at first, too. But the more I thought about it and remembered watching him play, I didn't think of him as that small. So I went back and watched some highlights from '08 and '09...the dude may be 5'9", but he makes a TON of plays on the kinds of passes you usually associate with big receivers: back-shoulder throws, end-zone fades, jump balls in tight coverage, etc. Plus he's WAY better at beating a jam than any of our current WRs.

I think, more than a big receiver, the Bears need a receiver who can't be easily jammed and who fights for the ball in the air. That's what Jay Cutler had with Brandon Marshall, and clearly it made him better. I think Steve Smith can do that, too, as long as he's still got something in the tank.

Sold.

Yeah, that's what I thought at first, too. But the more I thought about it and remembered watching him play, I didn't think of him as that small. So I went back and watched some highlights from '08 and '09...the dude may be 5'9", but he makes a TON of plays on the kinds of passes you usually associate with big receivers: back-shoulder throws, end-zone fades, jump balls in tight coverage, etc. Plus he's WAY better at beating a jam than any of our current WRs.

I think, more than a big receiver, the Bears need a receiver who can't be easily jammed and who fights for the ball in the air. That's what Jay Cutler had with Brandon Marshall, and clearly it made him better. I think Steve Smith can do that, too, as long as he's still got something in the tank.