I don't usually like Reilly...

madlithuanian

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6528474

Rates the last 3 years of drafts how well teams have drafted...

pretty misleading in a lot of areas. it's fine that hester moved up but in reality nobody in their right mind would draft a special teams player in the top 10 (or in the 2nd round for that matter) unless it was angelo.

also us being ranked 18th doesn't even come close to how poorly we drafted/traded away first day picks or chose quality/any players at positions we needed.

what's jeff fisher doing these days? wouldn't he be a nice addition if we sent sweaty teddy packing?

It's definitley a bit out there... But overall, I think it gets it right. We basically drafted poorly...and this makes a case for it.

I'd love to have Fisher over Teddy any day...

pretty misleading in a lot of areas. it's fine that hester moved up but in reality nobody in their right mind would draft a special teams player in the top 10 (or in the 2nd round for that matter) unless it was angelo.

also us being ranked 18th doesn't even come close to how poorly we drafted/traded away first day picks or chose quality/any players at positions we needed.

what's jeff fisher doing these days? wouldn't he be a nice addition if we sent sweaty teddy packing?

But, but, but...all those guys from all those teams have all been in the NFL for years, and therefore all know what they are doing!!! Isn't that what has been said ad nauseum on this board?

I firmly believe this board could have had a better draft history over the last than the Bears' braintrust.

Totally disagree on Hester. He puts up points and changes field position. Via field position changes he also takes points off the board by helping keep the opponents outside of scoring range (at least FG). It takes 11 men on offense to move the ball and they often can't do half of what Hester does on one return.

Which first day trades are you complaining about?

In 2006 would you rather we stayed and drafted John McCargo?

If we hadn't dealt for Cutler, we'd likely used our first round pick this year on Andy Dalton. No thanks.

The Gaines Adams deal ultimately worked out in our favor since his death gave us the motivation to sign Peppers. If he doesn't die, I'm guessing we stand pat and spend the off-season talking about how Marinelli will work wonders with Adams. While you hate to call someones death "luck" . . .

Which first day trades are you complaining about?

In 2006 would you rather we stayed and drafted John McCargo?

If we hadn't dealt for Cutler, we'd likely used our first round pick this year on Andy Dalton. No thanks.

The Gaines Adams deal ultimately worked out in our favor since his death gave us the motivation to sign Peppers. If he doesn't die, I'm guessing we stand pat and spend the off-season talking about how Marinelli will work wonders with Adams. While you hate to call someones death "luck" . . .

i have no problems with the cutler trade, but...

2003 we trade down out of the top 5 in the 1st round and get haynes and grossman?

2006 we traded out of the 1st round to get daniel manning? our first pick a raw safety nobody ever heard of when we had chris harris and mike brown? look up our starting offensive line. a thousand year old r. brown at LG, a one knee'd LG in garza, a RG in t. metcalf, a LT in tait who is playing out of position at extremely average play, a DINOSAUR in fred miller at RT. and we trade down to get a project free safety?????

2009 we trade down in the 2nd round, our FIRST pick because of the cutler trade, and end up with gilbert and melton when our offensive line is even worse than in 2005????? so the guy we gave up two 1st round picks for has absolutely nobody to block for him?? that is not insane?

2010 again we trade our FIRST pick in the draft, we have NO 1st rounder, a 2nd round pick for a defensive player who was benched after 3-5 years in the league???? again while our FRANCHISE qb is being beaten to near death because we couldn't block a junior varsity high school defensive line?

just these instances alone would get a completely incompetent GM fired, yet we give him our vote of confidence? as far as j. peppers goes... we drafted 8 DE's and 6 DT's over angies tenure in chicago. if angelo could draft any talent after EIGHT years on the defensive line we wouldn't have needed to get him.

Totally disagree on Hester. He puts up points and changes field position. Via field position changes he also takes points off the board by helping keep the opponents outside of scoring range (at least FG). It takes 11 men on offense to move the ball and they often can't do half of what Hester does on one return.

i'm sorry, but the overall 8th pick in the draft for any special teams player is not a good deal even if we are going to use 20/20 hindsight.

if i were using hindsight, as in this case, i would pick a primo qb, de, or cb. a player who is a game changer on every down and not just on change of possession.

i'm sorry, but the overall 8th pick in the draft for any special teams player is not a good deal even if we are going to use 20/20 hindsight.

if i were using hindsight, as in this case, i would pick a primo qb, de, or cb. a player who is a game changer on every down and not just on change of possession.

Yes, I'd take one of those guys over Hester but who are they on that list?

To me Hester often does influence every down as a game changer because of what he can do with field position. He doesn't have to return many punts all the way just a couple for 20 yards in a game and you've changed field position enough to help both offense and defense. The two players on that list behind Hester who singlehandedly can do that IMO are Cutler and Brandon Marshall. Marshall has had more than his share of character problems but produces on the field.

So grab a name off the list from that draft. Cutler, yes I'd take him before Hester.

The DEs... Dumervil, he has his moments early in the season but fades quickly (Tommie Harris style). Tamba Hali? I'd still take Hester. Ray Edwards? Nope.

The CBs... Jonathan Joseph, Cortland Finnegan. Good players but I don't think they influence every game the way Hester does with his returns, unless Finnegan punches someone.

Yes, I'd take one of those guys over Hester but who are they on that list?

So grab a name off the list from that draft. Cutler, yes I'd take him before Hester.

we don't need to go any further than this. QB was a HUGE need at this time and getting a franchise qb instead of hester along with the two first round picks we gave up to get him later there is no doubt about it.

whether the clowns we had running the offense could have taught cutler anything is another matter.