Free at Last

Wesson44

Ok now that the man will be free today.....the question is do we make a run to sign him once the lockout is over? IMO I would try in a heartbeat. He will be a perfect fit for the bears passing game and someone cutler can throw to. I like our WR's , but I say this all the time...with the tallest being 6'0 they are just too small to do real damage. Burress will make and have mismatches all day with the 6'1 and under DB's in the game. This will be a great advantage for the Bears, even more so in the red zone where we really need the height. If not Burress then Floyd or Jackson from the Chargers will do

Ok now that the man will be free today.....the question is do we make a run to sign him once the lockout is over? IMO I would try in a heartbeat. He will be a perfect fit for the bears passing game and someone cutler can throw to. I like our WR's , but I say this all the time...with the tallest being 6'0 they are just too small to do real damage. Burress will make and have mismatches all day with the 6'1 and under DB's in the game. This will be a great advantage for the Bears, even more so in the red zone where we really need the height. If not Burress then Floyd or Jackson from the Chargers will do

I agree. Make a run at Plaxico, Floyd or Jackson. Remember the jets are going to have a difficult time signing both holmes and Edwards. So there is a good chance that the bears could get a bigger receiver without paying top dollar. Another thing to consider with plaxico is that with the lockout he will be hungry (hopefully) to get into shape and there are only so many coaches that can take on a rehab project and only so many teams that have strong veteran leadership.

Agreed. Realistically, I just see a run at Plax or Floyd. I'd actually prefer Holmes over the lot...but I'll take any of the 3. (I really want V-Jack, but he's too pricey)

I agree. Make a run at Plaxico, Floyd or Jackson. Remember the jets are going to have a difficult time signing both holmes and Edwards. So there is a good chance that the bears could get a bigger receiver without paying top dollar. Another thing to consider with plaxico is that with the lockout he will be hungry (hopefully) to get into shape and there are only so many coaches that can take on a rehab project and only so many teams that have strong veteran leadership.

Whats with the Plax love? A 34 year old receiver who had diciplinary &injury concerns when he last played a game nearly 3 years ago? It took Vick a year to get back any form & he was younger coming out of jail. I can't see Plax being much help

I think it's more of an indictment of what most here feel lacks in our corps, than true Plax love...

We are in dire need of a big savvy possession guy. At least I, and a good lot of folks feel that way.

Plax maynot be that guy. The age and readiness is certainly anissue. There are really a lot of toehr guys I'd rather have. But given nothing else, and a contract that is light, I'd have no problem giving Plax a whirl...

Whats with the Plax love? A 34 year old receiver who had diciplinary &injury concerns when he last played a game nearly 3 years ago? It took Vick a year to get back any form & he was younger coming out of jail. I can't see Plax being much help

I think it's more of an indictment of what most here feel lacks in our corps, than true Plax love...

We are in dire need of a big savvy possession guy. At least I, and a good lot of folks feel that way.

Plax maynot be that guy. The age and readiness is certainly anissue. There are really a lot of toehr guys I'd rather have. But given nothing else, and a contract that is light, I'd have no problem giving Plax a whirl...

Yeah, but it's comical because just about everyone seems to be jerking it to the thought of picking up Plax, a guy, who, ya know, just got out of prison for actually committing a crime, but have in the same breath said something similar to, "Oh, no. Not TO or Moss. Those guys wouldn't work." Even though anyone who's been watching football knows that TO would be a better option than Plax, and Moss probably still has more raw talent and ability (not that he was given a chance to show it the past year or so).

His crime was accidentally shooting himself in the leg...with a gun he had no permit for. We've now seen Vick come back from a far more distrubing crime and play better than before. Possibly the experience can make a player hungry to prove themselves. The age thing is a red herring. What he's had is 3 years of recooperation. He should be in better shape to play for future seasons than Urlacher, who's a year younger.

But that's a bit of devil's advocate. I don't actually know enough about him as a player to know if we should want him or not. Also, I prefer having character guys even at the expense of some talent. I'm just saying the crime, the age and the years ago injuries don't scare me as much as what I don't know about his character.

I hear ya. Hell, I want TO! Really, I'd rather have Ocho...I think he just needs a new location. I'd also more than give Moss a shot!

Yeah, but it's comical because just about everyone seems to be jerking it to the thought of picking up Plax, a guy, who, ya know, just got out of prison for actually committing a crime, but have in the same breath said something similar to, "Oh, no. Not TO or Moss. Those guys wouldn't work." Even though anyone who's been watching football knows that TO would be a better option than Plax, and Moss probably still has more raw talent and ability (not that he was given a chance to show it the past year or so).

3 teams gave Moss a shot last year, how'd that work out?? Hell the Titans couldn't use him & they aint blessed with much talent at WR

Let's analyze that a bit...

NE - 4 games, 9 rec, 3 TDs. Not the receptions you'd normally like, but 3 TDs in 4 games equates to 12 in a season, which is a very good season for 90% of the WRs in the NFL.

MIN - 4 games, 13 rec, 2 TDs. Again, not up to Moss standards, but they were still figuring out how to use him and he still got 3 catches a game. Keep in mind that players spend the entire offseason, and sometimes multiple years, trying to figure out how to play on an offense. On top of that, Farv was atrocious last year. On top of THAT, the fourth game was against NE: a much better team than the Vikings, a team Moss just left, and a team Moss still wanted to be on. So, really those stats (except for one catch) were in 3 games.

TEN - I live where the Titans are covered exclusively, and he didn't work out because they never gave him a shot. He barely saw the field (only started four of eight), and when he did, he saw the ball even less (had multiple no catch games). Add to that the Titans run-first philosophy, their turmoil at QB, and their inconsistency when the QB position was decided, and there was no chance for a WR to succeed there. It's not a slight on Moss that he wasn't used; it's a slight on the Titans' organization from top to bottom.

Sorry, but I just don't buy the thought that last season defines how Randy Moss can play at this current time. He's much better than that. His previous season of 83 catches, 1200+ yards, and 13TDs speaks volumes...just like his off the field antics that led to last season.

we the Pats get rid of you, you know you are done. Sorry, the Bears do not need Randy Moss...I am more apt to go for Santana Moss though

COMPLETELY disagreed.

When the Pats get rid of you, it's because they are already a team that has proven it can win without you. They are the equivalent of a millionaire throwing away 50 bucks. The did because they can.

I agree that Moss can still play at a pretty high level but I disagree that he's the type of WR we need on our roster. He's not the big physical type who hits the quick slants well, he's a soft outside type who takes some plays off and doesn't always block well. Would he make our WR corps better in terms of talent? Yes but only because our depth is so weak. Would he fit into Martz' precision offense? On that I'm not so sure and I'll leave that up to guys on the board who are better at knowing how well WR run routes.

I agree that Moss can still play at a pretty high level but I disagree that he's the type of WR we need on our roster. He's not the big physical type who hits the quick slants well, he's a soft outside type who takes some plays off and doesn't always block well. Would he make our WR corps better in terms of talent? Yes but only because our depth is so weak. Would he fit into Martz' precision offense? On that I'm not so sure and I'll leave that up to guys on the board who are better at knowing how well WR run routes.

Moss is done. The only route he is willing to run is a half assed go route.

Pass.

Not interested. He's a jag bag and he's done.

Peace :dabears

Moss is done. The only route he is willing to run is a half assed go route.

Pass.

Now THIS is a valid reason why the Bears shouldn't get Randy Moss. He does half ass it when he is disinterested. And we've already seen what half assed routes can lead to in a Martz offense (Cutler and a few of his interceptions are looking at you Knox).

But any talk of his talent being lessened because he had to go to a few teams last year is just ridiculous. The guy still has the physical goods.

Now THIS is a valid reason why the Bears shouldn't get Randy Moss. He does half ass it when he is disinterested. And we've already seen what half assed routes can lead to in a Martz offense (Cutler and a few of his interceptions are looking at you Knox).

But any talk of his talent being lessened because he had to go to a few teams last year is just ridiculous. The guy still has the physical goods.

Since I'm talking about the White Sox right now I'll use a comparison...Juan Pierre.

Juan Pierre was really good at 1 thing...stealing bases. But once he lost a step, everything else in his game fell apart.

Randy Moss does one thing well...running a fly pattern where he outruns everyone else. If he can't outrun everyone else, if all he's done is lose 1 step on the CB, then he goes from incredible to nearly useless.

He may still have gifted physical talents compared to most receivers, but given that he is only really effective running one single type of route, you can't rely on those talents to keep him a great WR if he gets caught on the fly pattern.

Since I'm talking about the White Sox right now I'll use a comparison...Juan Pierre.

Juan Pierre was really good at 1 thing...stealing bases. But once he lost a step, everything else in his game fell apart.

Randy Moss does one thing well...running a fly pattern where he outruns everyone else. If he can't outrun everyone else, if all he's done is lose 1 step on the CB, then he goes from incredible to nearly useless.

He may still have gifted physical talents compared to most receivers, but given that he is only really effective running one single type of route, you can't rely on those talents to keep him a great WR if he gets caught on the fly pattern.

Comparing Pierre to Moss is laughable. Pierre will be forgotten in 20 years, and Moss will still be discussed as one of the greatest WRs of all time. The two are nowhere near the same ballpark.

Your statements about Pierre are dead on accurate...but Moss didn't put up the career stats he has by simply running a fly pattern. His football talents FAR outweigh anything Pierre did, or will ever do.

matt Bowen via twitter says it will be 2 years before TO is back fit

@MattBowen41

Matt Bowen Reading the opinion on T Owens... Rehab isn't the issue for blown knee, it is the time it takes to get explosion back. Usually 2 seasons.

2 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®