Update on Cutler-led offense workouts

balta1701-A

Lots of good in this article.

Cutler continues to gather his offensive teammates at an undisclosed high school field up north for weekly workouts –- typically on Tuesdays and Thursdays –- during the lockout. Receiver Rashied Davis and running back Kahlil Bell have participated in those workouts.

"Jay looks fine, man,’’ Bell said. "The last couple of times I went, we did throwing stuff and I couldn't even tell that he had an injury.

"A lot of people made a lot about what happened, but I think he’s going to be all right. I know he’s going to be all right. He looks fantastic.’’

Davis agreed.

"Jay looks healthy,’’ Davis said. "Both he and Caleb (Hanie) look great. And everybody’s healthy.’’

Well, just about everybody.

Apparently tight end Brandon Manumaleuna and running back Chester Taylor have been the only offensive skill players not regularly attending the workouts. Manumaleuna has a pass as he continues to recover from offseason knee surgery.

As for Taylor, he is working out with private trainers in both Chicago and Houston. And he typically does he own thing during the offseason, dating back to his days with the Vikings. Taylor is not hindered by the knee injury he dealt with last season.

Among the group that has assembled, Davis is one of the players without a contract and still uncertain about his future with the Bears.

"I’m preparing as if I’m going to be in Chicago,’’ said Davis, who has attended 85 percent of the workouts. "The other guys are preparing as if I’m going to be in Chicago as well.’’

That means preparing for another year in offensive coordinator Mike Martz’s complex offense.

"For us, as an offense, this is necessary,’’ Davis said of the organized workouts. "If we didn’t think it was necessary, we wouldn’t be doing it.

"Like with our defense, it’s not necessary. They’ve been in the same system for nine years. But it’s a simple system. For us, we have a bunch of shifts and motions and terminologies and routes. And there’s timing involved. Our quarterbacks have to be able to throw the ball blindfolded basically. And we have to be there. And if they throw it blindfolded, I better be where I’m supposed to be.’’

"We’ve been able to get on a field that has a good surface, and it’s lined so we can actually run the routes that we’re supposed to and not just where we think 10 yards is,’’ Davis said. "That’s a good thing.’’

Hypothetically speaking, or maybe not so much...

I kind of think this is a good thing. It may also be for many QB's in the league. But, for some reason, I see this practicing on one's own as a real potential to learn a "system" better and truly get on the same page w/ teammates. It onlyis the case if everyone takes it seriously. but assuming they are, I think this kind of practicing can be very beneficial. We may find that Cutler and others, due to this, can get one the same page when Martz's pre-planned strategy goes to the way-side due to a pass rush.

I'll put the kool aid down now...

Cutler got criticized (once again) because he wasn't doing what people wanted with workouts as soon as Drew Brees was. I was on the side because I didn't think starting passing drills in May was that big of a deal but wanted to see the offense together in June. I've read the Bears offense was working out with Cutler but I figured it was more routine passing drills. After reading Bennett's comments below I am rather impressed because it appears Cutler is actively working with the WRs to expand our offensive plays. Those parts of the playbook we didn't use last year.

"We meet about four days a week," Bennett said. "We go through plays, route running, coverages … just making sure we remain crisp on our routes.

"We have a couple guys on offense who will step over for a Cover-2 look and things of that nature. But we don't have anybody out there pressing doing 1-on-1 drills.

"We have some new stuff in. We have a lot old stuff. Some of the stuff we have, if you would see it, it's unreal. We have a lot of stuff to go off right now."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,2986256.story

I dont really care what others think about Cutler...as long as he is a good teammate and the guys in the locker room like him and have his back, then the rest of the media and anyone else can go stuff it.

Cutler is cocky and makes some stupid throws on the field. But he is one of the best QB we have ever had in Chicago and I am behind him

When has Cutler ever not done what he's supposed to? It seems the most consistent critics are always complaining just because he doesn't do things the way they want.

In all honesty, I'm pleasantly surprised to read such a description of voluntary practices, but certainly not shocked they're getting together. I don't even think an offense could get away with (because of intra-team and public opinion/pressure) just goofing off all lockout while other teams commit themselves.

I worry that because we're fairly healthy that other teams are benefitting more from this extended offseason than we will, but whatever...there is the issue of only being in the 2nd year of Marz's offense which maybe compensates.

Throw off his back foot too often...

But all kidding aside, I agree. He has been nothing but a model citizen on and off the field. Perceptions aren't doing him any good, and he's responsibile for most of that. But, like Jimmy Mac...he doesn't give a flying f&^k. Neither do I. I like the guy as a ballplayer and a man.

I have some real cautious optimism for this upcoming season for Cutler.

When has Cutler ever not done what he's supposed to? It seems the most consistent critics are always complaining just because he doesn't do things the way they want.

In all honesty, I'm pleasantly surprised to read such a description of voluntary practices, but certainly not shocked they're getting together. I don't even think an offense could get away with (because of intra-team and public opinion/pressure) just goofing off all lockout while other teams commit themselves.

I worry that because we're fairly healthy that other teams are benefitting more from this extended offseason than we will, but whatever...there is the issue of only being in the 2nd year of Marz's offense which maybe compensates.