Bears pursuing pass rusher Babin

bradjock

As per Brad Biggs:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...0,5687009.story

He's a 31 year old former #1 pick who did almost nothing for years, then puts up 12.5 sacks for Tennessee last season.

On an unrelated note, we've also been linked to wanting Cullen Jenkins from the Packers.

Pending cost, both these guys have glaring red flags with inconsistency and health.

I can't argue we need to upgrade the d-line. That being said, we spend an enormous amount of time, money, and draft picks on the d-line, with disappointing results.

Plus, it seems we have a nice 3-man rotation at DE with Peppers, Idonije, and Wootton. I can understand bringing a body in at DE, but I have to believe Babin would rather sign somewhere where he can be penciled in as the starter (and get starter money). No comprende.

Pass. He's a 31 year old, and it took him like 8 years to finally do something productive on the field. I don't want to invest a ton of money in a player that could be a one year wonder..

I'd pass as well how many times have we picked someone up who had a breakout year only to take up a rosterspot here doing nothing. no thanks. We don't need to get older on D we need to get younger anyway

We need somebody for depth at DE. We can't go into the season with just the 3 we have. Outside of ending Favre's career Wooton is nothing but hype. Adding a proven DE would be helpful for a couple years while we see if Wooten steps up. I just wonder what type of money Babin is looking for. No doubt his agent wants the bidding to start at the 12.5 sack rate while JA will come in at his average sack/season rate of 3.0. For the right price he seems like he'd be good depth for us.

We need somebody for depth at DE. We can't go into the season with just the 3 we have. Outside of ending Favre's career Wooton is nothing but hype. Adding a proven DE would be helpful for a couple years while we see if Wooten steps up. I just wonder what type of money Babin is looking for. No doubt his agent wants the bidding to start at the 12.5 sack rate while JA will come in at his average sack/season rate of 3.0. For the right price he seems like he'd be good depth for us.

I think we need a speed rusher to complement Peppers. If he comes at a moderate price , it will upgrade that position. Give him a contract with incentives and see what he has. He doesnt deserve a big payday.

I think we need a speed rusher to complement Peppers. If he comes at a moderate price , it will upgrade that position. Give him a contract with incentives and see what he has. He doesnt deserve a big payday.

Charles Johnson got $30m guaranteed from Carolina today. If he can get that, Babin will get a good amount as well, and that likely takes the Bears out of his sweepstakes.

Charles Johnson got $30m guaranteed from Carolina today. If he can get that, Babin will get a good amount as well, and that likely takes the Bears out of his sweepstakes.

Charles Johnson just turned 25 and he's been in the league 4 years.

Jason Babin is 31, has been with 5 teams, and he's been bad besides last year.

I agree Babin won't be cheap, but based on his history, I can't imagine he'll cost THAT much.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Bears aren't content to drive up prices on some of these Tier 2 FAs. Past history has shown that if there's a guy they really want they'll get aggressive on the deal. If someone signs at a reasonable price that's fine too. Otherwise with guys like Durant, Babin they are pretty much Just-Another-Guy as Bill Parcells used to say. While we need players to fill out the roster it's not hard to find guys who can contribute 3 sacks a season like Babin, especially if they are opposite of Peppers. I just don't think we've seen their best offers yet, I'm hoping it all shows up with the Oline FAs.