Bears have sights on Durant

GrizzlyBear

By Vaughn McClure, Chicago Tribune reporter

10:45 p.m. CDT, July 26, 2011

As of late Tuesday evening, the Bears had yet to agree to terms with free-agent linebacker Justin Durant. But a source close to the player believes the Bears remain in the picture.

According to the source, the Bears inquired about Durant, last with the Jaguars, Tuesday morning. The Bears are looking for stability at the starting strong-side linebacker spot next to middle linebacker Brian Urlacher and weak-side linebacker Lance Briggs.

Durant has been high on the Lions' radar, too.

The 6-foot-1, 240-pound Durant started 42 games in four seasons with the Jaguars and has 230 career tackles. He missed some time last season with ankle and groin injuries but had been an effective player

http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/newspap...0,6614340.story

Anything you can share on Durant...I know virtually nothing about him. Fast? Big? Rusher? Run stopper?

He's still young (25) very athletic, quick, decent in pass coverage and I think he's a pretty solid tackler. He's not a guy that's going to rush the passer (only two career sacks in 4 years) but I would consider him a definite upgrade over what we have right now.

He's still young (25) very athletic, quick, decent in pass coverage and I think he's a pretty solid tackler. He's not a guy that's going to rush the passer (only two career sacks in 4 years) but I would consider him a definite upgrade over what we have right now.

Yeah, you covered it. Also, you don't have to be a great pass rushing OLB in the Bears system. Typically, you have to cover better than you can pass rush.