Rumor: Bears have agreed to terms with Brad Smith

DABEARSDABOMB

Rumor on the ChicagoBears.com message boards is indicating that the Bears have agreed to terms with Brad Smith on a deal. Smith would act as a slot wideout and would provide the Bears with another special teams weapon. Additionally, he'd also provide an added threat out of the backfield in wildcat/trick plays.

Thanks for the info. Thankfully this doesn't sound like a legit WR pick-up... We still need that.

I watched one Jets game last year, I believe vs GB, and Brad Smith can also hit on ST as well. He can play some wildcat QB, he can catch, he can do a lot of offensive s***. Plus, he's a really good ST player. This is a good pick-up, without seeing the money involved.

Brad Smith was the QB at Mizzou before Chase Daniels and has developed into a hybrid offensive/special teams player that IMO is not worthy of anything other than a minimal contract. The cap money could be better spent on some o-line comp/help.

Rumor on the ChicagoBears.com message boards is indicating that the Bears have agreed to terms with Brad Smith on a deal. Smith would act as a slot wideout and would provide the Bears with another special teams weapon. Additionally, he'd also provide an added threat out of the backfield in wildcat/trick plays.

Is there any credible source confirming this? Hub Arkush mentioned on the SCORE Monday the Bears might be interested. When your quarterback is an athlete with one helluva an arm, we shouldn't have to make trick plays our focus.

Because this is a copy-cat league the fact that teams are putting more passing friendly guys in their Wildcat formations is inevitable. Smith is not the end all be all but he is another asset the Bears can aqcuire that will keep Devin Hester's plate limited to returns and offensive plays. Hopefully, when I attend TC this year I won't see Hester lined up in WC formations.

Because this is a copy-cat league the fact that teams are putting more passing friendly guys in their Wildcat formations is inevitable.

Disagree. This happened immediately, but overall, the wildcat was not very effective last year. Teams use it to hide bad/inexperienced QB's. Cutler can run and throw as well as any QB in the league. Why would we mess with the wildcat?

Smith is not the end all be all but he is another asset the Bears can aqcuire that will keep Devin Hester's plate limited to returns and offensive plays.

Either way, Hester's role in the wildcat are done IMO. If you have a talented QB, don't spend millions on a guy to take the ball out of his hands once or twice a game.

Hopefully, when I attend TC this year I won't see Hester lined up in WC formations.

I saw the training camp schedule. I can't wait to go!