Bears sign Punter

Guest TerraTor

I believe I heard the deal is for 5 yrs making around 2 mil/yr. He did set career highs last year. I like this deal. I think I read he dropped 46% of his punts inside the 20

Middle of the pack last year in yards per punt but #5 in the league in terms of net yardage gained by punt. Longest return against him last year was only 19 yards, best for any punter in the league.

Probably means that Jax had a good coverage squad, but that he also gets some extra elevation on kicks to help them, without sacrificing yardage.

The Jaguars' fourth-round draft pick in 2007, Podlesh was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer known as acinic cell carcinoma in 2009. He returned in 2010 to have the best season of his career, earning Pro Bowl alternate status after averaging 43.8 yards per punt and dropping 26 punts inside opponents' 20-yard line.

Most important to the Bears, Podlesh is 11 years younger than Maynard and presumably will provide stability at the position for years to come.

Link

Brian,

Terra isn't the only one that feels a WR is a big need. His posts may shoot from the hip, but I completely see the logic in needing a legit WR on our team. We can argue who that may be, but to say our group of mighty mites, poor route runners, non-fighters for catches up for grabs, and lack of ability to help a QB in distress are just fine and dandy - I think is incorrect. I expect some imprvement from our guys, but I don't expect a Robert Johnson-like turnaround to being amazing. We need help still.

If we didn't post things that went contrary to the Bears brain trust we'd have about 3 posts on this board. Disagreeing with the FO is almost a full time job for me!

Don't get me wrong though, I like the Podlesh signing. It fits a need, could be there for a while, and looks to be skilled enough to succeed in our ST scheme. It was time to move along from Maynard. He did great for us over the decade, but it was time to part ways.

WR is not a big need, and if it is to you, it's not to the Bears, so stop saying it.

This is a good signing. Podlesh was good last year, and Maynard is old and was horrible last season.

Brian,

Terra isn't the only one that feels a WR is a big need. His posts may shoot from the hip, but I completely see the logic in needing a legit WR on our team. We can argue who that may be, but to say our group of mighty mites, poor route runners, non-fighters for catches up for grabs, and lack of ability to help a QB in distress are just fine and dandy - I think is incorrect. I expect some imprvement from our guys, but I don't expect a Robert Johnson-like turnaround to being amazing. We need help still.

If we didn't post things that went contrary to the Bears brain trust we'd have about 3 posts on this board. Disagreeing with the FO is almost a full time job for me!

Don't get me wrong though, I like the Podlesh signing. It fits a need, could be there for a while, and looks to be skilled enough to succeed in our ST scheme. It was time to move along from Maynard. He did great for us over the decade, but it was time to part ways.

If the Bears don't think WR is a big need, we shouldn't either. Getting your own hopes up for a $50m WR is wasting your time and energy. If they actually had an NFL caliber OL, maybe some of those balls thrown to Knox that he should fight for would've been better throws with more time and he could've caught them in stride.

Of course they have small WR's. Of course they are going to struggle...they're young.

Never did I say we can't disagree. But WR is NOT a huge need for the Bears. If it was, they would've addressed it 3 years ago. They would've kept Berrian if they thought it was a HUGE need. Did they? No. Therefore, to the Bears, getting a WR isn't a big need.

OL is the biggest need on this team.

WR is not a big need, and if it is to you, it's not to the Bears, so stop saying it.

This is a good signing. Podlesh was good last year, and Maynard is old and was horrible last season.

WR is actually a huge need. Unless you enjoy watching Cutler run around trying to find receivers that can't separate from coverage, and can't catch the football. How many times last year did we witness Johnny Knox running the wrong route or dropping passes that have hit him right in the hands? Sometimes more than once in the same game! Devin Hester is certainly not a reliable receiver unless you put him in the position that he can actually succeed in which is the slot-- something Martz seems to never do. Bennett is our only all around average receiver on the team because of his hands, his blocking ability, and his smartness. If you are rating areas of needs, WR is either #1 or #2 and with the Bears cap room, they can afford to sign key players from both WR and OL positions.

Rarely do I agree with the Bears front office when it comes to player management, but I like this punter signing, and I also agree that WR isn't that great of a need.

Fix the OL, and the Bears will soon have a Curtis Painter - or some other random WR who does well despite being unknown - of their own. No WR can excel when he's limited to less than half of the routes in the playbook because the QB is on his ass in less than 3 seconds every other play.

I just simply disagree. I think we should have better ownership and management. Just becasue it is waht it is, doesn't mean I can't think it should be better. But, I do readily admit that it's jousting at windmills. But, I can't help it. When I see the clear logic, I'm shocked that people whose livlihood depends on it, can't. In all fairness, I never said i wanted a $50M WR...I just want a veteran #1. Roy Williams could be that guy. And I've never once argued that OL isn't the #1 priority. It is. I just see WR as #2.

Just becasue the bears didn't adress WR 3 years ago doesn't mean it shouldn't be a priority. They didn't address the OL and it has haunted them since. They didn't keep berrian becasue he simply wasn't worth the moey he wanted. Thankfully, in that case, they were correct.

On OL, we are in pure agreement! I'm just of the mind (or out of my mind) that WR is the next need.

If the Bears don't think WR is a big need, we shouldn't either. Getting your own hopes up for a $50m WR is wasting your time and energy. If they actually had an NFL caliber OL, maybe some of those balls thrown to Knox that he should fight for would've been better throws with more time and he could've caught them in stride.

Of course they have small WR's. Of course they are going to struggle...they're young.

Never did I say we can't disagree. But WR is NOT a huge need for the Bears. If it was, they would've addressed it 3 years ago. They would've kept Berrian if they thought it was a HUGE need. Did they? No. Therefore, to the Bears, getting a WR isn't a big need.

OL is the biggest need on this team.

I can't argue that WR is need #2! I still OL is 1...but Wr is indeed a need.

WR is actually a huge need. Unless you enjoy watching Cutler run around trying to find receivers that can't separate from coverage, and can't catch the football. How many times last year did we witness Johnny Knox running the wrong route or dropping passes that have hit him right in the hands? Sometimes more than once in the same game! Devin Hester is certainly not a reliable receiver unless you put him in the position that he can actually succeed in which is the slot-- something Martz seems to never do. Bennett is our only all around average receiver on the team because of his hands, his blocking ability, and his smartness. If you are rating areas of needs, WR is either #1 or #2 and with the Bears cap room, they can afford to sign key players from both WR and OL positions.

Guest TerraTor

Brian...stop with the attacks for once.

our wr corp is a joke as well as Oline. In case u didnt see GB oline was awful too and they had the WR/qb to overcome at least

our wr corp is a joke as well as Oline. In case u didnt see GB oline was awful too and they had the WR/qb to overcome at least

Please tell me you're joking with that argument.

Clifton - Colledge - Wells - Sitton - Bulaga > Omiyale - Williams - Kreutz - Garza - Webb...and it's not even close.

Clifton is worth ten Omiyales. Maybe 20.

Colledge is better at OG than Williams.

Wells and Kreutz are comparable at this stage in their careers.

Sitton is the only player that might be worse than his counterpart on the Bears.

Bulaga is far superior to Webb, despite the fact that GB fans don't seem to like him that much.

GB was bettter all around except at RB and probably TE (hence please keep Olsen!)

Please tell me you're joking with that argument.

Clifton - Colledge - Wells - Sitton - Bulaga > Omiyale - Williams - Kreutz - Garza - Webb...and it's not even close.

Clifton is worth ten Omiyales. Maybe 20.

Colledge is better at OG than Williams.

Wells and Kreutz are comparable at this stage in their careers.

Sitton is the only player that might be worse than his counterpart on the Bears.

Bulaga is far superior to Webb, despite the fact that GB fans don't seem to like him that much.

Guest TerraTor
GB was bettter all around except at RB and probably TE (hence please keep Olsen!)

our OL was worse by far.... But jason - half the guys u mentioned didnt play most of the year

Finley is better than any TE we have when he is healthy. So Forte is the only advantage the Bears have on O.

Lets face it Martz is the reason the Bears don't feel they need a big WR and he has said that as recently as a couple of weeks ago. IMO the big receiver that we have seems to be on the trading block and that is Olsen. He was huge in the playoffs against Seattle and that is what I have a problem with this stafff. Signing Spaeth along with Sleasanhaus sending out an E-mail for all the world to see has dropped Olsen's value since it looks like the Bears are desperate to move him. There have been rumors before that Olsen is on the block but he seems to always stay with the club because there really isn't a big demand for his skill set.

Wait, Roy Williams could be a #1 WR? Come on. The guy was never all that and he drops tons of passes. He'd fit in here.

Everyone wants them to sign a good #1 WR. If they do, make it a GOOD receiver. Not Roy Williams.

I'm sorry for attacking you. My "stop saying it" comment was way out of hand. Don't tell mommy on me.

If Devin was a #1, Roy certainly can be...

Wait, Roy Williams could be a #1 WR? Come on. The guy was never all that and he drops tons of passes. He'd fit in here.

Everyone wants them to sign a good #1 WR. If they do, make it a GOOD receiver. Not Roy Williams.

I'm sorry for attacking you. My "stop saying it" comment was way out of hand. Don't tell mommy on me.