Roy Williams a Bear!

GakMan23

Bears | Roy Williams reunited with Mike Martz

Fri, 29 Jul 2011 04:23:11 -0700

With the Chicago Bears acquiring WR Roy Williams, the team reunites Williams with former offensive coordinator Mike Martz and gives QB Jay Cutler a bigger (6-3, 215 pounds) target in the passing game. Williams, who has had a tumultuous career, had his best season (82-1,310-7) under Martz while the two were in Detroit in 2006.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1TUmYTdHj

You know, at first I was not too happy with this move, but thinking about it, under the circumstances, it might just be the best option the Bears had. Do to the lockout, it would be difficult in such short time to bring in a Braylon Edwards or the like and get him up to speed in the Mike Martz system. Roy Williams had his best year under Martz, even went to the Pro Bowl under him. He should be able to pick back up on the system and be full steam by opening day of the season. I am not sure any of the other big WRs we were looking at would have been able to do this.

Yes, Williams has had some other issues as well. But many would have loved O.C. and he certainly can be a hand full, B Edwards probably set a record for dropped passes a few years ago, just about every WR we were considering on the forum has issues, many old and on their last tour of duty, other locker room issues, others ???

All I am saying is I am anxious to see the Williams that went to the Pro Bowl under our current OC.

Great pick up!!! We got a WR taller the 5'9" with speed that is familiar with Martz and Drake. He is also a vet that can bring some experience to our stable of "colts".

This move also makes up for Greg Olsen. Sure Olsen had talent, but now we can run more plays into the Martz playbook to include 7 step drops. We could not run/attempt a pass play like that with a TE that cannot block and if we took Olsen out, that also put the writing on the wall what play might be coming.

This will also help Bennett, Knox, and Hester as I see teams fearing RW and putting Safety help closer to him.

BUT DUDE THEY NEEDZ A BIG WR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

I hope everyone is happy. Roy Williams sucks, but he has had 1 great year under Martz. Let's hope he can make some plays.

At least they are trying to get better, Cutler did well with a big fast WR in Marshal. Williams did well with Martz before. As stated before he knows the Martz system. IT should not be overlooked how important that is. I think everyone can agree that Williams has issues. But where can we find a WR that has size, speed and knows the system we use??? Hopefully Williams is fired up and wants to prove that he is a Pro Bowler and not the player he have seen of late.

Hopefully the Bears are working on some Oline guys now.

Guest TerraTor
At least they are trying to get better, Cutler did well with a big fast WR in Marshal. Williams did well with Martz before. As stated before he knows the Martz system. IT should not be overlooked how important that is. I think everyone can agree that Williams has issues. But where can we find a WR that has size, speed and knows the system we use??? Hopefully Williams is fired up and wants to prove that he is a Pro Bowler and not the player he have seen of late.

Hopefully the Bears are working on some Oline guys now.

With how bad he is lately... Hes instantly the best WR on the team which is scary. But Yes I imagine the focus is on both Lines

Guest TerraTor

I hope everyone is happy. Roy Williams sucks, but he has had 1 great year under Martz. Let's hope he can make some plays.

Brian how old are you

Great pick up!!! We got a WR taller the 5'9" with speed that is familiar with Martz and Drake. He is also a vet that can bring some experience to our stable of "colts".

This move also makes up for Greg Olsen. Sure Olsen had talent, but now we can run more plays into the Martz playbook to include 7 step drops. We could not run/attempt a pass play like that with a TE that cannot block and if we took Olsen out, that also put the writing on the wall what play might be coming.

This will also help Bennett, Knox, and Hester as I see teams fearing RW and putting Safety help closer to him.

Good point. The upgrade, of course, is that the TE in the game this year should serve as the 6th OLineman we heard so much about before the 2010 season when Manuseless was picked up.

Well said Pix...

You know, at first I was not too happy with this move, but thinking about it, under the circumstances, it might just be the best option the Bears had. Do to the lockout, it would be difficult in such short time to bring in a Braylon Edwards or the like and get him up to speed in the Mike Martz system. Roy Williams had his best year under Martz, even went to the Pro Bowl under him. He should be able to pick back up on the system and be full steam by opening day of the season. I am not sure any of the other big WRs we were looking at would have been able to do this.

Yes, Williams has had some other issues as well. But many would have loved O.C. and he certainly can be a hand full, B Edwards probably set a record for dropped passes a few years ago, just about every WR we were considering on the forum has issues, many old and on their last tour of duty, other locker room issues, others ???

All I am saying is I am anxious to see the Williams that went to the Pro Bowl under our current OC.

I'd only be truly happy with Vincent Jackson. But this is a good thing all else considered.

He could prove all the nay sayers right and be another Marty Booker bust... But, maybe he pulls a B. Lloyd and thrives in the right envirnment?

I have to think we didn't break the bank. So maybe the most realistic hope is that he's a replacement for Olsen's productivity. Maybe we're not done getting WR's? Is Floyd still in the mix? We won't know for a while. But, at tleast this is a move that makes some sense given his history with the coaching staff.

I too was not exactly pleased to hear we signed him but a lot of that has to do with his being an arse clown at times. Celebrating a routine first down when your team is being blown out, running his mouth in the media, etc. But what he does bring is size, speed, and ability we lack at WR. He hasn't produced as well recently but I do agree that being familiar with Martz system and having thrived in it is a positive, he will draw more defensive attention because of who he is he's not a receiver that defensive coordinators will opt to ignore or leave single covered or even roam free. His presence on the field should help Knox, Bennet, Hester, et all. He will fight for the ball, that has been one of my pet peeves about so many "WR"s we have shuffled through here. If you can't catch the ball don't quit on the play make sure if you can't catch it no one can.

Honestly this is a mixed bag, I'm going to reserve judgment till I see how this plays out on the field.

To terra-

Internet tough guys wanting to know another member's age. Get a life. I'm in my 20's. What does that even matter? It seems like you're 13, with your constant spam and overreaction to the smallest s***. Seriously, after every Bears loss, you post 7 new threads with 8 words each. Consider yourself lucky that this message board lacks members and activity, because you'd be banned on any other site, at least if I was a mod or admin.

If you don't like anything the FO does or players on the Bears do in the games, then become a fan of another team. Seriously. We all get it by now: you wish Jerry Angelo would jump off of a building, you wish Lovie would've been fired 5 years ago, you hate Cutler, Knox/Bennett/Hester all suck, WR is a huge need.

I remember an old poster on here that eventually got banned. He once said "Orton sucks. Jake Delhomme is a real QB who the Bears should go after." Point being, you two seem like the same people.

Get over yourself.