Bears sign Gholston

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor
Vernon Gholsten is going to become a Bear. >? You think Marinelli can make something out of chopped liver? He might have been out of place with OLB position in New York. It is worth a look.

Guy was a freak in college, hard to believe he was as awful as Jets claimed..

Vernon Gholsten is going to become a Bear. >? You think Marinelli can make something out of chopped liver? He might have been out of place with OLB position in New York. It is worth a look.

Marinelli's been with the team for over two seasons now and we repeatedly heard how great he is. Except, what the hell has he done? Linemen he's worked with:

Tommie Harris--Did not improve and he was cut

Jaron Gilbert--3rd round pick. He was bad and he was cut.

Marcus Harrison--he's actually regressed under Marinelli

Gaines Adams--he came here bad and didn't get better

Julius Peppers looks good, and Idonije is somewhat effective playing opposite of him.

Honestly, after 2 years, I have zero reason to believe that Marinelli's worth a damn at developing players.

Marinelli's been with the team for over two seasons now and we repeatedly heard how great he is. Except, what the hell has he done? Linemen he's worked with:

Julius Peppers looks good, and Idonije is somewhat effective playing opposite of him.

Honestly, after 2 years, I have zero reason to believe that Marinelli's worth a damn at developing players.

I think Melton, Adams, Izzy, and Toe have all progressed.

He may have more talent to work with that Harris, Gilbert, Harrison and Adams. I am still up in air about him but how good a coach he is , but taking a chance on Gholstein is a no brainer.

Guest TerraTor

Like i wrote in another post, he was another BS friendly hiring....

Melton--I hope you're right. Seems like every year we've got that young guy we expect great things from like Dusty Dvoracek & Harrison.

Adams--I argued he's stayed the same. He's always been very solid. Before he just kept getting benched for guys with more potential.

Izzy--What would Izzy have done if he wasn't playing opposite Peppers?

Toe--Same with Adams.

I would have to second all of this. Another that seems to be pretty decent, after starting as an unknown: Wootton.

Let alone the DLmen you have players like Urlacher and Briggs who like working for Marinelli. That means something.

I would have to second all of this. Another that seems to be pretty decent, after starting as an unknown: Wootton.

Let alone the DLmen you have players like Urlacher and Briggs who like working for Marinelli. That means something.

What scares me about signing Gholsten is that I feel like we have room for one guy. That's it. Basically, we've dropped Tommie (who wasn't good) and we're replacing him with a 2nd round rookie. To me that ain't nearly enough of an upgrade.

If we get Vernon and sign Jenkins, I'd be all for it.

Our entire defense looked pretty damn good last year. I see nothing wrong with Marinelli, I like him and think it was a great move to make him DC.

Agree with you Pix. Marinelli motivates and players love to lay for him.

Officially a Bear...

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4708/vernon-gholston

Bears signed DE Vernon Gholston, formerly of the Jets.

The No. 6 overall pick in the 2008 draft never tallied a sack in three years with the Jets, so noted D-Line tutor Rod Marinelli has his work cut out for him. On a positive note, it's a low-cost flier and Gholston has nowhere to go but up in a 4-3 scheme better suited to his strengths.

Reading more of the Rotoworld link:

"In his new book "Play Like You Mean It," Rex Ryan reveals that he advised his friend Eric Mangini not to draft Vernon Gholston in 2008.

"I didn't like the kid coming out of college," Ryan said, "... thought he was a phony." Ryan insists he was in Gholston's corner once he became "one of my guys," but he was never able to turn the No. 6 overall pick in the 2008 into a contributor. Apr 26, 3:11 PM"

I trust Ryans analyisis but perhaps the previous article was right in saying that Gholston is better suited to a 4-3. This will test Marinelli's mettle and influence. Good luck coach.

My understanding he was kick ass in college as a DLman. Was drafted high, switched to a standup outside rusher in a 3/4 defense, and only got 5 starts. If this is correct and he is allowed to get back down to a traditional 4/3, and work with Rod, I wonder if we could get a bargain out of this? Some DLmen cannot transform to a standup 3/4 guy. Am I correct in his history? If I am I am all for it as long as we do not over commit and can cut him anytime we see it is not going to work.

I get that he was signed for the league minimum. So, it's really a bargain at this point. Only upside really...

My understanding he was kick ass in college as a DLman. Was drafted high, switched to a standup outside rusher in a 3/4 defense, and only got 5 starts. If this is correct and he is allowed to get back down to a traditional 4/3, and work with Rod, I wonder if we could get a bargain out of this? Some DLmen cannot transform to a standup 3/4 guy. Am I correct in his history? If I am I am all for it as long as we do not over commit and can cut him anytime we see it is not going to work.