Bears sign Gholston

Guest TerraTor

He was a terror in college, which was 4-3, Moved to 3-4 OLB position and never made the transition, His pass coverage was horrible. Here all they ask him to do is what he did in college, Get after the QB. He took alot of bad press early on like he was not motivated to play football, As a matter of fact Warren Sapp said it today on the news, But I think it was more his position then Football. And I feel alot of Ryans eval had to do with that as well. It will be interesting to see thats for sure. This could bode quite well for the Bears if he truly shows up.

My understanding he was kick ass in college as a DLman. Was drafted high, switched to a standup outside rusher in a 3/4 defense, and only got 5 starts. If this is correct and he is allowed to get back down to a traditional 4/3, and work with Rod, I wonder if we could get a bargain out of this? Some DLmen cannot transform to a standup 3/4 guy. Am I correct in his history? If I am I am all for it as long as we do not over commit and can cut him anytime we see it is not going to work.

Hay Pix ur memory hasn't failed u yet. U are correct. To me I don't think Ryan ever gave him a chance to succeed. High picks like that should start right away and instead he only got 5 starts. There has to be something to that

gholston1_1_.jpg

This guy makes Clay Mathews arms look like pencils. I like the signing. It can't hurt. If he doesn't produce then you can be done with him. Although I do believe that RM can turn him around. He's better suited as a 4-3 DL anyways. That's what he played in college.

I like it too. Marinelli has another toy to play with and hopefuly he can be a welcoe compliment to Peppers.

Bears still have room to add an impact lineman or tackle. This move makes sense. Very little risk and he's super quick and talented. Bears are banking on the fact that him going back to DE will be beneficial to him. Remember, he was a DE in college who the Jets tried to utilize in a hybrid 3-4 role. That didn't work out.

Whose to say it wasn't due to the system. Lovie mentioned that they are looking forward to seeing what he can do once he gets his hands back on the ground (e.g., in the 4-3). I'd still like Cully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Gholston

look at his pre draft numbers, 40 time 4.55, Bench 37 reps, vert 41 inches. 6'3 266. Does anyone know what type of shape he is in now?

He reminds me of Feeney as far as size and speed. I know he was a beast at OSU when playing DE. Lets pray that moving him to OLB is the reason he didnt perform well. If he still has the speed and quickness he displayed in college he could be good in our scheme. If this guy could turn it around by putting his hand in the dirt again this could be huge for the Bears.

Dude has some pipes too!!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view...umb=GZZoMtJAaM4

I fail see why the sub-title for this thread talks about Gaines Adams. Vernon Gholston has 0 sacks in his career, while Adams had 13.5 in his 4 seasons.

Yes but will they be of any quality??? The quality ones are coming off the board left and right.

They're not really "coming off the board left and right." Check my "Dahl to STL" thread. There are plenty of solid OL left.