Teams don't need to spend the minimum until 2013

bradjock

As per PFT. That means teams can stay far under the cap. Now I'm starting to get worried, especially when you consider:

1. We appear to be done adding offensive playmakers, essentially swapping Greg Olsen and Rashied Davis for Roy Williams & Sam Hurd. Not an upgrade.

2. Considering our d-line was mediocre, after letting Tommie go, I thought we'd add a quality guy to help Peppers. Instead we get Gholston. I have as many NFL sacks as he does. Seeing how we did nothing to improve Gaines Adams, I have no faith in Marinelli. Maybe Gholston will die and then we'll bring in a pro bowl DE.

3. Secondary--We let D Manning go, and we plan to replace him with Major Wright, who I don't think has finished a game without getting injured. Although we have Chris Conte and Craig Steltz waiting in the wings.

4. O-line--We have no sense of urgency to improve. Adding a good blocking TE will help, but I said the same thing when we added Manumaleuna.

I know we can still add guys, but IMO we appear close to being done. While we were big spenders last year, we appear to be going cheap.

But, I thought we were no longer cheap? (Insert sarcasm here...)

As per PFT. That means teams can stay far under the cap. Now I'm starting to get worried, especially when you consider:

1. We appear to be done adding offensive playmakers, essentially swapping Greg Olsen and Rashied Davis for Roy Williams & Sam Hurd. Not an upgrade.

2. Considering our d-line was mediocre, after letting Tommie go, I thought we'd add a quality guy to help Peppers. Instead we get Gholston. I have as many NFL sacks as he does. Seeing how we did nothing to improve Gaines Adams, I have no faith in Marinelli. Maybe Gholston will die and then we'll bring in a pro bowl DE.

3. Secondary--We let D Manning go, and we plan to replace him with Major Wright, who I don't think has finished a game without getting injured. Although we have Chris Conte and Craig Steltz waiting in the wings.

4. O-line--We have no sense of urgency to improve. Adding a good blocking TE will help, but I said the same thing when we added Manumaleuna.

I know we can still add guys, but IMO we appear close to being done. While we were big spenders last year, we appear to be going cheap.

But, I thought we were no longer cheap? (Insert sarcasm here...)

The Bears did not layoff any employees during the lockout which I believe several teams did. They handed out 120 million in contracts last year. Can we get off the cheap angle. I think they will probably get pretty close to the cap (still a lot of players out there plus they will extend Forte).

Peace :dabears

I know! I'm guilty of just poking fun at the McCaskey's expense. (Or lack thereof!) ...see, there I go again! ;)

I will do my best to curtail my knee jerk reaction to when I hear Bears and Cheap used in the same context. Old habits die hard...

The Bears did not layoff any employees during the lockout which I believe several teams did. They handed out 120 million in contracts last year. Can we get off the cheap angle. I think they will probably get pretty close to the cap (still a lot of players out there plus they will extend Forte).

Thats kind of bullshit right there. No need for it.

Given the Bears have handed out a lot of short-term deals this year, I expect the team to have a lot of money to dangle around next off-season as well. Of course if other guys develop (e.g., Roy Williams/Knox play well; Forte, etc), a lot of that money could go into signing our own guys to extensions.

I agree I get tired of the cheap angle. The Bears have spent.

That being said, we've missed the boat on the major free agent signings. Our top free agent expenditure was the punter.

While I praise the Bears for spending the last few years, I won't be happy if we go cheap this year.

good points, but we brought in crap players in my opinion. And now our GM is arguing in the media with one of our best offensive players in Forte. This franchise is very strange