Angelo is a moron

Guest TerraTor

Maybe so, I don't have a comment in general other than I love this quote:

"You are not talking about a UFA (unrestricted free agent)," Angelo said. "There's an open market there, you bid. ... These extensions are much tougher because agents usually look at the UFA market to set their comps. But he's not a UFA, so that's the challenge."

I get annoyed at players not living in reality who seem to think if they pretend hard enough that renegotiating a contract early for them won't come at a price, then it won't. Angelo's not taking that BS. Does Jamarcus Russell have to give back the prorated money he wasted of the Raiders in those 3 years? Nope. It may not be fair, Forte, but your union is complicit in making things this way (that is, that rookies get peanuts if they aren't drafted in the 1st round and Top 10ers get stupid amounts of cash). Maybe things will be different after this new CBA, but for now, Forte, your old contract must play by the same rules as everyone else's. It's alright to treat it like a business (it is) and play hardball, just don't get your feelings hurt over it and talk about being disrespected.

I wonder if JA is handling this situation like he did last year with Olsen. According to this article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,5068685.story

But from what I'm hearing, Forte has since decided that he will join the team and leave any negotiations (if any) up to JA and his agent. Forte's a smart kid and has been working hard off season to improve himself.

In any case there is no reason for JA to give away his negotiating position while talking to a reporter. Was he supposed to tell the reporter that of course Forte is more valuable to our team than Deangelo Williams is to theirs? He has to build a team and if too much money goes one direction then there isn't enough to get depth in the other. IMO it's fair to evaluate results and last year we among the top 4 teams in the league. Was our team perfect, not even close. Had JA not failed so miserably in the 2007 draft we might have won the Superbowl.

In any case there is no reason for JA to give away his negotiating position while talking to a reporter. Was he supposed to tell the reporter that of course Forte is more valuable to our team than Deangelo Williams is to theirs? He has to build a team and if too much money goes one direction then there isn't enough to get depth in the other. IMO it's fair to evaluate results and last year we among the top 4 teams in the league. Was our team perfect, not even close. Had JA not failed so miserably in the 2007 draft we might have won the Superbowl.

I think we would be better off if he wasnt around anymore. He is lousy at drafting but has had moments at FAgency. We cant live in the past, so we have to look at this years draft and I think that looks good on paper. He has brought in lots of bodies so we will have to see how that pans out.

I wonder if JA is handling this situation like he did last year with Olsen. According to this article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,5068685.story

But from what I'm hearing, Forte has since decided that he will join the team and leave any negotiations (if any) up to JA and his agent. Forte's a smart kid and has been working hard off season to improve himself.

The new CBA has a provision in it to levy significant daily fines for holdouts and with Forte making what he makes it would be financial suicide for him to hold out. I think the dollar amount is 30K.

Anyone who's watched the Bears for 2 hours in the last decade knows how this is going to go. It's going to be a "Complex" deal that will get done sometime late in camp or early in the season. If you're a Bears draftee or player, and you perform, they will find a way to take care of you, but they will not carry things out into public. They want you to show up to camp, be in shape, perform, keep your mouth shut, and don't go off on some silly rant about how you need "Respect".

The Bears will get to the end of camp knowing how much space they have left on this year's cap, how many players they have to extend, and how much comparable players get per year. They will then use their remaining cap space for this year to do those extensions, putting as much of the contract onto this year's cap as they can, maintaining maximum flexibility for next year. That's how they've done it for the past decade. They don't franchise you, they don't screw you, they just ask you to keep it behind closed doors and to perform, and they'll take care of you.

Anyone who's watched the Bears for 2 hours in the last decade knows how this is going to go. It's going to be a "Complex" deal that will get done sometime late in camp or early in the season. If you're a Bears draftee or player, and you perform, they will find a way to take care of you, but they will not carry things out into public. They want you to show up to camp, be in shape, perform, keep your mouth shut, and don't go off on some silly rant about how you need "Respect".

The Bears will get to the end of camp knowing how much space they have left on this year's cap, how many players they have to extend, and how much comparable players get per year. They will then use their remaining cap space for this year to do those extensions, putting as much of the contract onto this year's cap as they can, maintaining maximum flexibility for next year. That's how they've done it for the past decade. They don't franchise you, they don't screw you, they just ask you to keep it behind closed doors and to perform, and they'll take care of you.

Great post.

Peace :dabears

They don't franchise you, they don't screw you, they just ask you to keep it behind closed doors and to perform, and they'll take care of you.

I would agree with 99% of what you wrote except for the "bolded" part. I think Briggs might have something to say contrary (at least back in '07). Although he eventually saw the light and decided to stick around, despite saying otherwise.

I would agree with 99% of what you wrote except for the "bolded" part. I think Briggs might have something to say contrary (at least back in '07). Although he eventually saw the light and decided to stick around, despite saying otherwise.

And I'm pretty sure that was the only case since what, 2002, where the Bears have had to use the franchise tag, and then they wound up getting things done with him fairly anyway?

Edit: and now that I think about it, wasn't that right after Briggs's driverless car managed to total itself on the side of the Tri-state?

The Bears have always done a great job taking care of there own under the JA era. Look at all of the extensions we've handed out to our own guys. Whether it was Vasher, Tillman, Tommie, Urlacher, etc.

Absolutely true and rarely do they get credit for it.

The Bears have always done a great job taking care of there own under the JA era. Look at all of the extensions we've handed out to our own guys. Whether it was Vasher, Tillman, Tommie, Urlacher, etc.

Briggs, Kreutz, Hester, Idonije, Toeaina, etc too.

Forte and C.Harris will be added to the list eventually as well. If they don't extend Forte, I seriously may contemplate finding a new team.