One of the 11 non-spenders...

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...re-in-cap-room/

11 teams still have $20 million or more in cap room

Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2011, 8:02 AM EDT

Getty ImagesOne week into the 2011 spending spree under the new $120.4 million salary cap, 11 teams still have more than $20 million available for the coming season. A source with knowledge of the numbers has shared them with PFT.

Leading the way are the Bengals, with more than $41 million in cap room. The Jaguars have more than $34 million.

And the bronze goes, surprisingly, to the Browns, with more than $30.4 million.

The others are: the Buccaneers (more than $30.2 million); the 49ers (more than $30.0 million); the Chiefs (more than $28.7 million); the Broncos (more than $26.7 million); the Bills (more than $26.5 million); the Bears (more than $24 million); the Cardinals (more than $23.6 million); and the Seahawks (more than $21.2 million).

It remains widely believed by fans and some in the media that the mandatory minimum cash spend of 89 percent under the new labor deal immediately applies. It doesn’t.

While the league as a whole must spend cash in 2011 that equates to 99 percent of the cap, there’s no minimum requirement for each team until 2013. Thus, neither the Bengals nor any other specific team is required to spend another dime — as long as all 32 teams cuts checks this year that equal at least $3.814 billion.

UPDATE: These numbers include the $3 million one-time exemption available to each team in 2011, which pushed the total spending limit to $123.4 million

One comment that stood out....

mightymightylafootball says:

Aug 2, 2011 8:10 AM

With the *possible* (but unlikely) exception the Bears and Bucs,, every one of those teams has a losing record in 2011?

Coincidence?

One comment that stood out....

mightymightylafootball says:

Aug 2, 2011 8:10 AM

With the *possible* (but unlikely) exception the Bears and Bucs,, every one of those teams has a losing record in 2011?

Coincidence?

Ist, I do not think we are finished in the FA market.

2nd, We still have some of our own FAs to sign

3rd, many on the board were screaming at Angelo for not giving Forte his extension, could some of this money be used there, obviously yes.

So let's not get things out of kilter here.

I'm honestly not sure that the ringing of this bell is off base. It may end up being if much of what you mention comes to pass. However, I think there's enough info out there that would make a resonable fan concerned.

1. I don't think so either...but the real studs are pretty much gone. We can fill in some spot needs, and hope a former bust turns to gold, but at the moment, there doesn't apepar to be a major move here. And as we progress intot he pre-sason, more injuries will occur, and more FA's will be taken off the market. I see no need to over-pay or be hasty. But, I see no movement at all. If we're waitng to re-sign Forte and others...then let's do it.

2. Are there any FA's left of ours to re-sign, or do you mean extend contracts? If it's extending contracts, then by all means...let's extend! What does waiting for help other than to irritate our players. Yes, we can hold off and see if someone gets hurt, and then not extend him. But that just doesn't vibe well. If we're going to, then let's do.

3. Items 2 and 3 are basically the same.

I'm just not satisfied by our GM right now. This off-season. I've had my issues w/ him for previous bungles, and props for Peppers,etc. But, it just seems that he appears ill prepared for the events that have unfolded. Colon was a mis-fire. Kreutz was a mis-fire (at minimum on how we let him go...and it seemed like the discussion could have well taken place a long while ago). and now it appears not doing anything to bolster the OL through right now, appears to be a mis-fire. He can step in and make something happen...but I'm just not getting the feeling he will. Smokescreen? Maybe. Maybe not. Until otherwise, I simply do not like the state of our offensive line.

I'm not panicked...I'm just not pleased. I may end up being so. But right now, I have legit concerns.

Ist, I do not think we are finished in the FA market.

2nd, We still have some of our own FAs to sign

3rd, many on the board were screaming at Angelo for not giving Forte his extension, could some of this money be used there, obviously yes.

So let's not get things out of kilter here.

2. Are there any FA's left of ours to re-sign, or do you mean extend contracts? If it's extending contracts, then by all means...let's extend! What does waiting for help other than to irritate our players. Yes, we can hold off and see if someone gets hurt, and then not extend him. But that just doesn't vibe well. If we're going to, then let's do.

It helps with the math. If you know exactly which guys you have in camp, exactly which guys you keep, exactly which guys you have signed, then you can spend the rest in extensions and be able to get yourself right up next to the cap. That way you don't sign Forte then wind up wishing you had $400k more to spend, or wishing that you'd given Forte $500k more on this year's cap to save space for next year.

Yes, but aren't we past that point? Who are remaining FA's we need to re-sign? I thought we were done with that portion. We honestly have so much money under that cap that they can make Forte right..right now.

Nothing is 100% foreseeable. Every move you make or don't make has an impact. Let's take care of business. It just doesn't seem like we are.

I'm probably just being impatient. But, other top shelf organizations are paying their own right now. We seem to be lollygagging with the cellar dwellers.

It helps with the math. If you know exactly which guys you have in camp, exactly which guys you keep, exactly which guys you have signed, then you can spend the rest in extensions and be able to get yourself right up next to the cap. That way you don't sign Forte then wind up wishing you had $400k more to spend, or wishing that you'd given Forte $500k more on this year's cap to save space for next year.

Yes, but aren't we past that point? Who are remaining FA's we need to re-sign? I thought we were done with that portion. We honestly have so much money under that cap that they can make Forte right..right now.

Nothing is 100% foreseeable. Every move you make or don't make has an impact. Let's take care of business. It just doesn't seem like we are.

I'm probably just being impatient. But, other top shelf organizations are paying their own right now. We seem to be lollygagging with the cellar dwellers.

it doesn't wind up being used every year...but when the Bears do things like go out and sign Peppers, they're able to do it because of how nimble they are with their cap.

Seriously, I don't think the issue is what was done in the past with the cap...it's waht they are(n't) doing with it right now...

We have a window on that D pretty much for onnly 3 more years...I'm not sure hoping and praying our OL will be that much better is the way to go about it. Strike now, and set your sights on GB, ATL and Philly to get a shot at the SB now!

I'm not saying they have to spend up to the cap...I'm just saying they can spend a good chunk of it getitng some more help on that OL that almost got Cutler killed and had 9 sacks in one game last year.

If trot out any QB other than Cutler, we're done for...

it doesn't wind up being used every year...but when the Bears do things like go out and sign Peppers, they're able to do it because of how nimble they are with their cap.

Seriously, I don't think the issue is what was done in the past with the cap...it's waht they are(n't) doing with it right now...

We have a window on that D pretty much for onnly 3 more years...I'm not sure hoping and praying our OL will be that much better is the way to go about it. Strike now, and set your sights on GB, ATL and Philly to get a shot at the SB now!

I'm not saying they have to spend up to the cap...I'm just saying they can spend a good chunk of it getitng some more help on that OL that almost got Cutler killed and had 9 sacks in one game last year.

I'm trying to keep my patience here. First, with 2 years left on his contract, I do NOT extend Forte. Give him a nice bonus and resign him in the coming off-season. Now, worry about nothing else but fixing the OL. I'm tired of praising our FO for their frugal nature with the cap. It always leads back to the same old thing. Decent team that sells out the stadium and sell shirts. To be a winner, your QB needs protected. This year we have the money and it needs invested to preserve Cutler.

Yeah, but think about it. How little were they spending that they could go out and get Cutler and Peppers and still be way under the cap.....

You're preaching to the choir with me Madlith. What everyone is forgetting is that we were so cheap for so many years, that we always extended everyone well in advance with upfront money. So last year when we were the #1 spenders in free agency, we were something like 15th in overall spending. For a large market team like the Bears, that's unacceptable.

We have plenty of money to go after players and take care of Forte. (who is a free agent in next year???)

...and it seems like we extend some guy when we shouldn't. See Harris, etc. JA just doesn't seem to hit well...

You're preaching to the choir with me Madlith. What everyone is forgetting is that we were so cheap for so many years, that we always extended everyone well in advance with upfront money. So last year when we were the #1 spenders in free agency, we were something like 15th in overall spending. For a large market team like the Bears, that's unacceptable.

We have plenty of money to go after players and take care of Forte. (who is a free agent in next year???)

bradjock while I agree the Bears always seem to shop at the thrift store when it comes to FAs but when you call them a large market team thats not really true because one its family owned(Aka The Lucky Sperm Club) and they don't own their own stadium like others do and they seem to be run similar to the White Sox.

I'm trying to keep my patience here. First, with 2 years left on his contract, I do NOT extend Forte. Give him a nice bonus and resign him in the coming off-season. Now, worry about nothing else but fixing the OL. I'm tired of praising our FO for their frugal nature with the cap. It always leads back to the same old thing. Decent team that sells out the stadium and sell shirts. To be a winner, your QB needs protected. This year we have the money and it needs invested to preserve Cutler.

This is the last year of Forte's contract. You want to extend him before he reaches free agency.

Peace :dabears

bradjock while I agree the Bears always seem to shop at the thrift store when it comes to FAs but when you call them a large market team thats not really true because one its family owned(Aka The Lucky Sperm Club) and they don't own their own stadium like others do and they seem to be run similar to the White Sox.

Terrible comparison. First because the Sox play second fiddle to the Cubs in Chicago. Meanwhile, the Bears dominate the 3rd largest market in America.

The NFL clubs receive billions of dollars each year in TV revenue. That means the crappiest and most worthless NFL franchises still make money. NHL, NBA, and MLB all have money concerns because teams are operating in the red. The NFL only worries about how to best divy up the billions.

While teams like Jacksonville have trouble filling up the stands, 3 minutes after Bears tickets went on sale, the only tickets you could find were those stupid club seats, which are in the corner and cost $250.00 each.

Despite not owning their own stadium, Forbes lists them as the 9th most valuable NFL franchise:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/footba...tions_Rank.html

Hey, I love the thrift spending. We've picked up lots up mediocre players with tons of potential on the cheap. But we had plenty of dough to get a difference maker.