Interesting Rumor

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

@ESPNChiBears

Dickerson and Wright

Filed to ESPNChicago.com: Mutual interest exists between Bears and free agent LB Lofa Tatupu. JD

8 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

Favorite Retweet Reply

Like someone said on this board, they'd bring him in for a year or 2 until Urlacher retires or leaves. Which BTW is interesting because I believe his contract is up after this year or next, and with the way Kreutz left, it wouldn't surprise me if the Bears do the same with Urlacher.

Anyway, that's for a different day, so when that happens, Tatupu becomes the MLB. If this happens, I bet Roach won't be too happy.

Guest TerraTor

well. Roach is a good backup for all LB positions but not a top starter. Tatupu though isnt too far behind Urlacher in age however. Anyway, i think it would be a great signing. Our depth at LB sucks to begin with.

Spend the money...its not mine.

Do as much as possible to make our team better on paper then coach the living daylights out out of them. Lofa may actually be superior to Brian at this time TBH. I swear dude has pick sissies every year.

I seriously doubt that Tatupu would be superior to Urlacher in doing all the things that Urlacher does on the field. He's the best pass coverage LB I've seen in the last decade, still was last year, and that doesn't make him ineffective against the run either.

I seriously doubt that Tatupu would be superior to Urlacher in doing all the things that Urlacher does on the field. He's the best pass coverage LB I've seen in the last decade, still was last year, and that doesn't make him ineffective against the run either.

Roach has even been quoted as saying that he believes that we will bring in a vet to compete with him

@ESPNChiBears

Dickerson and Wright

Filed to ESPNChicago.com: Mutual interest exists between Bears and free agent LB Lofa Tatupu. JD

8 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

Favorite Retweet Reply

I'm always on board for bringing in good players, so I like the idea. That being said:

1. Urlacher had a helluva of a season. Tatupu is 29 in Nov. You don't bring in a guy that old to be an "eventual" replacement. Hell, he might retire before Urlacher.

2. Unless he beats out Urlacher or Briggs, Tatupu would be the strong side linebacker. Those duties include engaging blockers to free up blitzers, matching up with the TE one on one, and going off the field in nickel situations. Nick Roach is thinking, "If he wants it, he can have it."

3. Per PFT, we have 20+ million to spend. We desperately need to upgrade the secondary and the o-line. So lets get a MLB . . . WTF?

FAs are practicing now so the pressure ratchets up on the FAs who haven't signed anywhere. The more the new guys practice the more time they get to make a lasting impression. If we get a good deal on Lofa and he's our starting LB then I really like our run defense on 1st and 2nd down this year.