Soldier Field Turf Conditions

bradjock

Rosenbloom has a nice take http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/newspap...0,5420889.story

I've been to Family Night (it sucks, but that's besides the point)

I'm pissed. How is this possible? The field hasn't been used since July 22 for the stupid soccer game. But it's not ready . . .

The Bears have to be accountable in all this. This didn't get cancelled until 5:30. We had nobody there?

What an embarrassment.

The only silver lining is that people will be pissed off enough to see a change.

Rosenbloom has a nice take http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/newspap...0,5420889.story

I'm pissed. How is this possible? The field hasn't been used since July 22 for the stupid soccer game. But it's not ready . . .

The Bears have to be accountable in all this. This didn't get cancelled until 5:30. We had nobody there?

What an embarrassment.

The only silver lining is that people will be pissed off enough to see a change.

The problem is the Park district isnt a very good landlord for the renter.(Bears) They have never taken care of the field right and the Bears have not put pressure on them to change. I think something so foolish, will start the ball rolling now.

Maybe the Park District missed the memo that the HOF game was canceled and the Bears needed the field today...

In all seriousness, this is a complete joke, but it's been this bad (though not this early in the year) the past 4 years. Why would they turn to turf now?

I wonder if the maintenance cost of the field turf the Packers are is higher then grass, the Packers have the Grass Turf blend. Could it be cost of upkeep? If it costs the same why dont Bears just pay for the grass turf blend to be installed if the park district wont cover the cost?

I wonder if the maintenance cost of the field turf the Packers are is higher then grass, the Packers have the Grass Turf blend. Could it be cost of upkeep? If it costs the same why dont Bears just pay for the grass turf blend to be installed if the park district wont cover the cost?

I can't speak for the turf at Green Bay, but I interviewed one of the sales reps for field turf and it is much less expensive over time.

Peace :dabears

I can't speak for the turf at Green Bay, but I interviewed one of the sales reps for field turf and it is much less expensive over time.

Peace :dabears

The players hate the field at Soldier Field. Since Lovie arrived we've had a fast defense on slow turf.

I can't help but think that this might be a way to put the situation up front and center. Do something.

Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher voiced his displeasure with the Soldier Field playing surface a day after unsafe field conditions caused the team's Family Fest practice to be canceled.

"It's a joke," Urlacher said. "I don't understand (why) they can't have the field ready. It sucks for the fans because I'm sure it was a pain in the butt to get down there with the all traffic and everything. I think coach (Lovie Smith) did the right thing in not letting us practice on that stuff."

Tim LeFevour, general manager of Soldier Field, took responsibility for the playing surface being unsafe for the Bears' Family Fest practice Friday night, but LeFevour assured the field would be ready for next Saturday’s preseason opener against Buffalo.

"Over the last few weeks, we've had some extreme heat conditions,'' LeFevour explained Friday. "It was a miscalculation on our ground crew's part. They did not get enough water on the field. Some of the seams opened up. It's not an issue or concern with next week's game. We know it can be corrected. But in the best interest of the team tonight, it was the right move to send them back to Bourbonnais to practice.''

The Bears practiced until 10:30 p.m.after returning to Bourbonnais from Chicago.

The field has been an issue for quite some time and has raised the question on whether the Bears should install FieldTurf.

"I don't understand why we don't have FieldTurf yet," Urlacher said. "We're a fast team. We play fast on FieldTurf.

The injury issues (with FieldTurf) aren't as bad as they used to be."

Urlacher said he is hopeful next weekend's game is not called off due to field issues. LeFevour promised Soldier Field would be ready.

Lacher

Truly embarrassing.

Why are we always the butt of a joke due to our own failures?

What an embarrassment.

It certainly could not be more expensive than re-sodding Soldier Field every other week as it appears they do every season. Also, it seems there are a lot of other events and games on the field which contributes to the mess as well.

World class City with 3rd World playing field. Utter embarrassment.

"Our primary concern is player safety," McCaskey said. "We want to prolong careers. We want our guys to be available on a week-to-week basis. The evaluation is ongoing. Every year we take a look at it. Our considered opinion is that right now the best surface for our team, primarily considering player safety, is a natural grass field.

"The Park District has already said that it was a miscalculation on their part, that they need to do a better job. And we need to do a better job to take a more active role in monitoring their treatment of the field. It needs to be a collaborative effort."

That process already has begun, McCaskey said.

"I was there (Sunday) and spoke to Ken Mrock, our groundskeeper, who was the first person I saw when I got there," he said. "The second person I saw when I got there was John Nolan, the park district’s groundskeeper. Both of them said that they’re very confident the field is going to be ready for Saturday."

McCaskey dismissed a question about whether the Park District violated its lease with the Bears by not having the field ready Friday, saying, "We're not concerned about the legalities. We're concerned about making sure we have the best possible surface for our players."

Link