Bears Pass on signing CB Kelvin Hayden (For Now)

balta1701-A

"It would be great to come home and play for the home team," Hayden told the Tribune on Saturday. "It would be a great situation, playing with a great defense and an explosive offense."

Multiple sources familiar with the Bears' thinking confirmed the team has an interest in Hayden, who was released by the Colts. The former Illinois and Hubbard standout recently visited the Redskins and has two more visits lined up, but not one to Chicago yet.

At least nine teams, including the Bears, have expressed an interest in Hayden. The 28-year-old veteran hopes to select a new team by Thursday.

link

Guest TerraTor
Hopefully we can add another CB, since that position has been neglected

Still more concerned the OLine is awful... not sure what they could do about it tho

We have the money and we have the need. Peanut is getting up there in age, and the guys plays opposite of him have failed to make their mark.

Hayden was good enough to receive a huge contract from Indy. Then he got hurt, and then they inked Manning which made it necessary for them to free up cap space.

Unfortunately, the Bears don't seem interested in bringing him in . . .

Explosive offense?

I have just read yesterday that we have made contact with him. Dont know what that means. With all the money we have we need to sign him, go get Tatupo for LB depth and sign Walters/OG for a stop gap fill in at LG to help with Webbs progression.

I have just read yesterday that we have made contact with him. Dont know what that means. With all the money we have we need to sign him, go get Tatupo for LB depth and sign Walters/OG for a stop gap fill in at LG to help with Webbs progression.

The SCORE reported the Bears are still interested in Hayden and Totupu (the LB from Seattle . . . I still don't get how he'd fit in with the team.)

Hayden could be one helluva a pick up.

With FA's like Hayden and Tatupu the Bears have often let them visit other teams and basically let them set the market with their offers. They tell the players when they have an offer they like to give them a call and the Bears will see if they want to offer more. Since we have so much cap space agents know we definitely have the ability to improve upon any offer they get so the Bears will get that chance.

This would be a relatively big signing. Hayden is a pretty good, physical cover 2 corner. In fact, this would be the best corner duo the Bears have had, if he does sign and is healthy, since Peanut & Vasher were both playing at pro-bowl like levels (which was a long time ago and pre-Vasher extension). Would definitely provide the defense with some great depth.

The question is would one of Jennings/Bowman be on the way out? What would this do for Joshua Moore? Would one of Jennings/Bowman move to nickel and replace DJ Moore (who was pretty money at nickel)?

Really would be a fan of this signing.

This would be a relatively big signing. Hayden is a pretty good, physical cover 2 corner. In fact, this would be the best corner duo the Bears have had, if he does sign and is healthy, since Peanut & Vasher were both playing at pro-bowl like levels (which was a long time ago and pre-Vasher extension). Would definitely provide the defense with some great depth.

The question is would one of Jennings/Bowman be on the way out? What would this do for Joshua Moore? Would one of Jennings/Bowman move to nickel and replace DJ Moore (who was pretty money at nickel)?

Really would be a fan of this signing.

Im with you on this one, sign him up!!!! He would help with covering all those GB WR's!!

I am not finding this on NLF.com. Where are you finding this info? Link?

It was a twitter from a writer, Rich Smith. He's more recently updated his twitter to indicate that the Bears have waived QB Matt Guitirrez to make room for Hayden.

Zach Zaidman, a Chicago sports guy, has confirmed with Lovie that the Bears are currently visiting with Hayden.

http://twitter.com/#%21/ZachZaidman

So in short, it sounds like it is close, but not a done deal. There have also been tweets within the last 2 or so hours from Jennings & Tillman. Tillman has indicated he's on board to have Hayden come in. Jennings said he's interested but also tweeted that if Hayden comes he feels that one of Jennings/Bowman will be cut.

I hope this happens, to pick up a quality corner from a system that ran the cover 2 would be fantastic. He should fit in immediately and have a smooth transition.

Agreed. He's 28, listed at 6-0, and we wanted to sign him two years ago. It ought to be one helluva a pick-up.

I hope the rumors that he's agreed to sign with us are correct. It was reported he was going to visit another team after the Bears.

I think D.J. Moore has a lock on the nickel role. He was pretty solid there last year and hopefully another year in the system translates into improved play. I suspect the new and improved Josh Moore gets the "upside" benefit. Therefore the bubble spot goes to Jennings, Bowman, and Graham.

Graham might be Toub's special teams pick. Or will Sanzenbacher force the teams hand in keeping 6 WRs with Hurd being the special teams pick? I searched and found nothing a potential signing but if he ends up in our training camp it will have ramifications for many players.

Here are some Lovie quotes. Makes it sound like it isn't done. But at the same time, when your head coach is commenting about a guy that is visiting with you in this sort of detail, makes me think the interest is at the very least, mutual:

Lovie Smith on Kelvin Hayden's familiarity with system: "I think that's probably why he's looking at us a little bit."

Lovie Smith on Kelvin Hayden: "He's a good football player. We'll see what happens."

Lovie Smith on Kelvin Hayden: "Right now, we're in the informative stage."

Here are some Lovie quotes. Makes it sound like it isn't done. But at the same time, when your head coach is commenting about a guy that is visiting with you in this sort of detail, makes me think the interest is at the very least, mutual:

Lovie Smith on Kelvin Hayden's familiarity with system: "I think that's probably why he's looking at us a little bit."

Lovie Smith on Kelvin Hayden: "He's a good football player. We'll see what happens."

Lovie Smith on Kelvin Hayden: "Right now, we're in the informative stage."

If he signs does he then become our best corner?

Guest TerraTor
Agreed. He's 28, listed at 6-0, and we wanted to sign him two years ago. It ought to be one helluva a pick-up.

I hope the rumors that he's agreed to sign with us are correct. It was reported he was going to visit another team after the Bears.

Can he block?

Like Brad Biggs said, a "good" CB isn't still on the market 2 weeks in training camp. Something's wrong here.

I think the type of corner he is has more to do with his signing. He is a typical cover 2 corner, Many teams dont run that type D, So his signing is more to that then his inability to play good.

Like Brad Biggs said, a "good" CB isn't still on the market 2 weeks in training camp. Something's wrong here.

Probably. But is he better then Jennings/Graham/Bowman? If he's healthy, probably.

On a side note, I was talking to a buddy of mine from Indy who was gushing they signed Tommie Harris. You'd have thought they'd signed the Tommie Harris of 5 years ago. He believes that the change of scenery, the time off, and the desire to be great again will be difference.

I believe Hayden can be good, they believe Tommie can be good . . .