Bears Pass on signing CB Kelvin Hayden (For Now)

balta1701-A

I believe Tommie still has the same bad knees. If Hayden has recovered from his injury then he's likely one of our top two CBs. Indy doesn't spend much on their defense other than targetting a few key players so for Hayden to have gotten that contract from them means something. Of course they can say the same about Tommie except he wasn't cut for cap reasons.

I believe Tommie still has the same bad knees. If Hayden has recovered from his injury then he's likely one of our top two CBs. Indy doesn't spend much on their defense other than targetting a few key players so for Hayden to have gotten that contract from them means something. Of course they can say the same about Tommie except he wasn't cut for cap reasons.

I think that Harris is a fine 3rd down guy to rotate in, but he doesn't have the every down dominating explosiveness that he used to have. He's still an ok player, he had a few decent games last year, but he can't get paid like an everydown lineman, and that's why the Bears had to cut him.

I have to believe one of two things are going on.

1) Hayden did not convince the Bears he is fully healthy when he took the physical

2) Hayden is looking for more money than the Bears are willing to gamble on so the Bears will see what the marketplace sets his value at

If it is the first of the two, as Hayden has missed time from the lineup for 3 years running, we need to take a pass

If it is a money issue, I suspect we will be seeing Hayden in our locker room as he will be of greater value to us as a cover 2 CB than any other team I see on his list of teams entertaining him for visits. Give him a contract with incentives around playing time and staying healthy during the season.

Well said Pix. The fact the Bears said they'd consider indicates to me it's a money issue. Hayden is probably thinking someone could get hurt and it will up his value. The Bears must think he ain't worth it and are going to try and get him for the minimum.

I know I wanted to see the Bears make this move partly out of shear frustration and doing so little to upgrade the team. It's almost like I'd rather see us make a bad move then no move at all. (I for one was a big fan of the Adam Archuletta deal . . . )

I have to believe one of two things are going on.

1) Hayden did not convince the Bears he is fully healthy when he took the physical

2) Hayden is looking for more money than the Bears are willing to gamble on so the Bears will see what the marketplace sets his value at

If it is the first of the two, as Hayden has missed time from the lineup for 3 years running, we need to take a pass

If it is a money issue, I suspect we will be seeing Hayden in our locker room as he will be of greater value to us as a cover 2 CB than any other team I see on his list of teams entertaining him for visits. Give him a contract with incentives around playing time and staying healthy during the season.