Where is our strength?

Stinger226

If you look at the roster as is I think our DL is going to be a major upgrade over last year.

DE- Peppers- dont need to say anything about him

DE-Idonije- journeyman-not going to hurt you

DE-Wooten- suppose to look much better than last year- good upside

DE- Gohlsten- could be that speed rusher were missing

DT- Adams- good player

DT-Okoye- could be our best FA signing and inside pressure guy

DT-Melton- the Bears think he is ready to be the man inside(came in at 262 and is now 295 )

DT-Paea- strongman brute that could be up to speed quickly

DT-Toeina- good rotation guy

LBs- second on the team with a lack of depth

It should be our biggest strength as we continue to invest a significant amount of money and draft picks. In just the past 3 drafts:

2008--3rd round Jarron Gilbert, 4th round, Henry Melton

2009--2nd round Gaines Adams, 4th round DE Corey Wooton

2010--2nd round Steven Paea

We know what we have in our veterans. As you mention, Wooten, Gohlston, Paea, and Okoye are the most intriguing guys in the group. If one of these players could become a star . . .

If you look at the roster as is I think our DL is going to be a major upgrade over last year.

DE- Peppers- dont need to say anything about him

DE-Idonije- journeyman-not going to hurt you

DE-Wooten- suppose to look much better than last year- good upside

DE- Gohlsten- could be that speed rusher were missing

DT- Adams- good player

DT-Okoye- could be our best FA signing and inside pressure guy

DT-Melton- the Bears think he is ready to be the man inside(came in at 262 and is now 295 )

DT-Paea- strongman brute that could be up to speed quickly

DT-Toeina- good rotation guy

LBs- second on the team with a lack of depth

Word out of Bourbonnais is that Melton has been terrific so far.

Yeah I heard he showed up to camp at near 300 lbs which his playing weight last year was 260. So he was able to add 40 lbs without losing speed, quickness and toughness that he had. This could be huge considering his motor only runs high. I'm very much intrigued

Link

The second-round pick from Oregon State is one of two newcomers to the interior of the defensive line, joining Amobi Okoye. Both have already made strong impressions, although Paea missed Sunday's practice while wearing a protective sleeve on his right leg.

"Quickness, and they're tough," defensive line coach Mike Phair said. "Those are the two things that jump out. That's what I really like about them."

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli's plan for Paea involves bringing him along gradually at both the nose tackle and under tackle spots, with nose tackle to start. Paea hasn't looked the least bit lost and has gotten a few good pushes against the offensive line.

"I'm a rookie, so I don't know which spot I'm really good at," Paea said. "Right now, I'm just going to listen to coach Marinelli to figure which spot is going to be more comfortable for me in the future."

The Bears are testing out Okoye as well with hopes the former 10th overall pick of the Texans will be rejuvenated in Chicago. Okoye, wearing the same No. 91 Tommie Harris left behind, could battle Henry Melton for reps at Harris' old spot.

"He's got the movement," Marinelli said of Okoye. "He's played in what was close to our system, in terms of an under tackle. He's got good rush ability. He understands it. But now he's just got to go out and execute. We've got some real nice candidates."

Marinelli is a firm believer in rotating bodies. Nose tackle Anthony Adams and Melton have been the interior starters from the outset of camp, with Matt Toeaina, Paea and Okoye in the rotation.

"Rod (Marinelli) always says, 'If you see a lot in the beginning, you're going to see a little. If you see a little, you're going to do a lot,' " Paea said. "I'm just trying to put the entire puzzle together."

Yeah I heard he showed up to camp at near 300 lbs which his playing weight last year was 260. So he was able to add 40 lbs without losing speed, quickness and toughness that he had. This could be huge considering his motor only runs high. I'm very much intrigued

I thought Melton was drafted when he weighed around 260lbs, then added ~15lbs a year ago, and has done the same again this offseason to where he's finally in the 290s. Looking at what he did last season at 275lbs was pretty solid. If he's still got his quickness along with the added the strength we could see a good player emerge this season.

I guess we will not see Melton make any kick / punt returns this preseason!

Veteran Anthony Adams was sidelined by a minor injury and could ultimately supplant Toeaina, and it's also possible that rookie Stephen Paea could work his way into the rotation. But based on recent personnel moves, and the lack thereof, it seems clear the Bears are counting on Melton to provide the interior disruption at the so-called "under tackle" position that is considered a fundamental building block of the Bears' scheme.

Fans who follow the Bears closely know that Melton flashed a few signs of promise at the end of last season, collecting 2 1/2 sacks over the final two months of the season, but no one can credibly stand up and say he is indisputably ready to take on a such a critical role on the defense.

"I'm just trying to establish myself right now," Melton said. "It's time for me to go out there and prove something."

Melton's relative inexperience at the position is stunning. He began his college career at Texas as a 280-pound running back, scoring 16 touchdowns during his first two seasons. He transitioned to defensive end midway through his career, actually losing 15 pounds to meet the program's size requirements, and didn't become a defensive starter until his senior year.

The Bears made him a fourth-round draft choice in 2009, and after a year on injured reserve, Melton played in 16 games last season as a reserve defensive end and occasional inside pass-rusher.

Is that the type of pedigree a Tampa-2 defense should be looking for in its under tackle? It's true that you can't have a proven veteran at every position, and the Bears can put All-Pro defensive Julius Peppers next to him. But they are without question taking a leap of faith with a player of unique athletic background but little seasoning at the position.

When I asked Peppers how he thought the Bears line was shaping up this summer, his answer was revealing.

"It hasn't shaped up," Peppers said. "It's still early. When we make the final team and see who we've got, we'll see what our expectations are. Right now it's kind of up in the air."

I don't think Peppers was implying the Bears will seek a new lineup via free agency or trades later this summer. He just put words to what is obvious: It's impossible to know if Melton is ready to take on this job. But the Bears have been talking up his candidacy for months, so I expect them to give him a long leash as the season begins.

To wit: In March, general manager Jerry Angelo said: "We feel, physically speaking, he's got everything you want in terms of size, speed, toughness. That's not any question. Now it's just a matter of learning the position and that will come with the repetition of more play."

To prepare for the role, Melton gained nearly 30 pounds and is now 295. He said the footwork he learned as a running back will help him because "you've got to position your feet around your opponent before you start using your hands" and suggested it is just a matter of time before he locks down the position.

"It's really just repetitions," he said. "You've got to really get in your groove. Once you get things going, the game really starts slowing down for you."

Link