jerry angelo... village idiot or just criminally stupid?

Lucky Luciano

Dan Pompei On the NFL

9:26 p.m. CDT, August 8, 2011

Chicago Tribune - http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/newspap...,6161371.column

Jerry Angelo: "We have a good history of picking up free agents at the position, and there is nothing wrong with that," Angelo said, pointing to Roberto Garza, John Tait, Ruben Brown and Fred Miller. "But we want to bring along young guys.

this is why our GM should have been fired 4-5 years ago and we are in the position we are in now in regards to this 'offensive' line. by neglecting the draft for quality offensive linemen over the last 10 years he has put this club behind the 8-ball with this mind-set. every player he mentions, except tait (who in their collective wisdom they played a very good player out of position nearly his entire time in chicago and wasted his career), was a stop-gap short term player who you bring in when you do have GOOD young linemen you are grooming to become quality starters or a young quality starter that may have been injured.

"Mike Tice has a great track record of developing young players. He is a great evaluator, a great teacher and developer of players. We want to take advantage of his expertise and that's why we want to start bringing these young guys along. Just because they are unknown doesn't mean they won't be good players. At some point the player has to start from the bottom and work his way up."

what "young guys" is he talking about bringing along? walkons and 7th round draft picks? does he really think tice or any coach in the history of nfl football can turn players without quality talent into HOF players? before it was marinelli and now it's tice's turn to make up for angies lack of expertise as a GM.

they are "unknown" for the most part, you idiot, because it is HIGHLY unlikely they will turn into very good players. the league, INCLUDING you, have passed on drafting them high or even drafting them at all because they looked the least likely to succeed because of limited talent or physical attributes.

"We made our bed," Angelo said. "We have to make it work. You can't have stars at every position. It doesn't work that way."

no angie, WE didn't make our bed, YOU did!!! you bet the farm on a quality free agent quarterback, that i might add you couldn't find one to draft, and surround him in a system not just to fail, but to physically end his career in the nfl!! then you state "you can't have stars at every position"???? are you completely nuts?

in an nfl GEARED to give the offense every advantage in the rules they play by YOU fail to even give this team the basics to succeed. by poor drafting at every single position, offense AND defense, over your tenure in chicago. the only quality players left to give this franchise a flying chance is to bring in free agents to make up for your failure. it is a lose, lose situation. you not only don't have the ability to cure it but to even REALIZE what is wrong!!

Dan Pompei On the NFL

9:26 p.m. CDT, August 8, 2011

Chicago Tribune - http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/newspap...,6161371.column

this is why our GM should have been fired 4-5 years ago and we are in the position we are in now in regards to this 'offensive' line. by neglecting the draft for quality offensive linemen over the last 10 years he has put this club behind the 8-ball with this mind-set. every player he mentions, except tait (who in their collective wisdom they played a very good player out of position nearly his entire time in chicago and wasted his career), was a stop-gap short term player who you bring in when you do have GOOD young linemen you are grooming to become quality starters or a young quality starter that may have been injured.

what "young guys" is he talking about bringing along? walkons and 7th round draft picks? does he really think tice or any coach in the history of nfl football can turn players without quality talent into HOF players? before it was marinelli and now it's tice's turn to make up for angies lack of expertise as a GM.

they are "unknown" for the most part, you idiot, because it is HIGHLY unlikely they will turn into very good players. the league, INCLUDING you, have passed on drafting them high or even drafting them at all because they looked the least likely to succeed because of limited talent or physical attributes.

no angie, WE didn't make our bed, YOU did!!! you bet the farm on a quality free agent quarterback, that i might add you couldn't find one to draft, and surround him in a system not just to fail, but to physically end his career in the nfl!! then you state "you can't have stars at every position"???? are you completely nuts?

in an nfl GEARED to give the offense every advantage in the rules they play by YOU fail to even give this team the basics to succeed. by poor drafting at every single position, offense AND defense, over your tenure in chicago. the only quality players left to give this franchise a flying chance is to bring in free agents to make up for your failure. it is a lose, lose situation. you not only don't have the ability to cure it but to even REALIZE what is wrong!!

PREACH IT!!!

Guest TerraTor

Like i said in another post the staff responsible for putting this group on the field shouldnt be allowed near an office. Not only has Angelo completely wrecked the Oline he feeds people this bullshit and thinks it believable. Then in another line of Bears' hiring of former co-workers. They bring another total numbskull of Tim Ruskell.....

Seriously, it's amazing that we perfromed at the level we did despite all that bumbling...

But this year may be costly. Besides what we already know about the poor OL, let's not forgot how many lucky breaks we got not facing #1 QB's and staying healthy. The odds of that repeating itself again this upcoming season is highly unlikely. In fact, one should expect the opposite if everything evens out...

PREACH IT!!!

Like i said in another post the staff responsible for putting this group on the field shouldnt be allowed near an office. Not only has Angelo completely wrecked the Oline he feeds people this bullshit and thinks it believable. Then in another line of Bears' hiring of former co-workers. They bring another total numbskull of Tim Ruskell.....

Hey Terra since ur such an expert why don't u go to the bank and ask for a loan to buy a team and show exactly who to hire and everything

Guest TerraTor
Hey Terra since ur such an expert why don't u go to the bank and ask for a loan to buy a team and show exactly who to hire and everything

How many coaches or FO Staff are from former Tampa and St. Louis regimes....

Well I'll be the odd man out and say that there must be something to what JA says. Especially with regards to Tice. Things didn't look so good starting out but PROGRESSIVELY got better. Do I like that Cutler was sacked a bunch of times in the Meadowlands? Nope. Do I like they haven't yet gotten a new lineman via FA? Nope but I ain't worried. They will IF it's needed.

The team hasn't even played a game yet, not even Pre-Season and a lot of you guys are sure the team will fail. This was how many of you were last year and the team was one game from GoiNG BACK to the Super Bowl. That would've been Lovie's second appearance. I know that means little to a lot of you but I am inclined to think the big picture really isn't all that bleak.

I'm torn between what you wrote and what Madlith posted above (that we were lucky last year, things even out, and we've squandered a good opportunity to improve.)

You're right that this group is too pessimistic for a team that's won the NFC North 3 of the last 6 years. For all of our bitching, JA must be doing something right.

We do have a lot of things to be optimistic about. A great defense, a great special teams, adding talented players with something to prove . . . yet I keep thinking about the offensive line and it's scary on paper.

Well I'll be the odd man out and say that there must be something to what JA says. Especially with regards to Tice. Things didn't look so good starting out but PROGRESSIVELY got better. Do I like that Cutler was sacked a bunch of times in the Meadowlands? Nope. Do I like they haven't yet gotten a new lineman via FA? Nope but I ain't worried. They will IF it's needed.

The team hasn't even played a game yet, not even Pre-Season and a lot of you guys are sure the team will fail. This was how many of you were last year and the team was one game from GoiNG BACK to the Super Bowl. That would've been Lovie's second appearance. I know that means little to a lot of you but I am inclined to think the big picture really isn't all that bleak.

I can't say I completely agree with JA and Co on everything, but to say he is stupid is a bit much even if the team were losing, much less coming off a year like last year. I think we can question his strategy in various ways but to brand him as an idiot overall is inaccurate and a bit ignorant in and of itself.

As far as the O Line, definitely some question marks, but lets see what happens. I would bet they will be alot better than last year regardless of who Tice puts out there, because again, Tice is not stupid IMO.

"they are "unknown" for the most part, you idiot, because it is HIGHLY unlikely they will turn into very good players. the league, INCLUDING you, have passed on drafting them high or even drafting them at all because they looked the least likely to succeed because of limited talent or physical attributes."

Wasn't Brady a 5th or whatever round "nobody"? Funny thing is the Bears are taking "flyers" on OTHER teams' high round picks (Okoye, Gholsten, Williams) that were graded high (by other teams) but didn't pan out. I'm ok with seeing if maybe, just maybe these guys, given a second chance, could prove their former ratings. Imagine if just one or two of them do how much better the team will be? Hell look at what a "no-name" like Idonije did playing alongside a guy like Peppers.

Actually you should be worried more about what happens in about 4-5 years when players like Urlaccher, Peppers, Briggs Forte etc start to reach their shelf life...or beyond. But you must "win now" or bust so they are trying to do that. Got close last year, let's wait to see how things pan out this year first.

Remember, and this bears repeating, the Bears still have around $20 mil in cap space and FOUR pre-season games to play. Let's not go 'helter skelter' just yet.

:cheers :cheers :cheers

Genius post. :rolleyes:

The old "you should just go out and get an NFL team" logical fallacy.

NOTE: IIRC, most thought the team would do pretty well last year.

NOTE 2.0: I think the team will do well this year. But I think, as do most, that the team didn't sufficiently address it's primary deficiency.

There's a difference between being upset about a part of the team and being upset about the team.

NOTE: IIRC, most thought the team would do pretty well last year.

NOTE 2.0: I think the team will do well this year. But I think, as do most, that the team didn't sufficiently address it's primary deficiency.

There's a difference between being upset about a part of the team and being upset about the team.

Yes! But I think it will hold the team back from any potential greatness. I really hope I'm wrong. Arrogance makes me doubt it though. :headbang

Good to see this board hasn't changed a bit since last year. :rolleyes:

Looks guys, I've been bitching about the O Line for pretty much the last 6 seasons and we've won the division half that time. The line still looks like a weakness but hopefully the new kid will bring some much needed piss and vinegar. Tice has proven himself to me.

As to JA, no comment. I've been a pretty big defender of his over the years and after all this time (and reasonably good success) he still rightfully takes criticism.

Now let's hope we don't lose to the f'in Packers in the playoffs again this season. Sheesh! I'm still not over THAT.

The truth probably lies somewhere in-between my fears and Alaska's hopes!

I'm torn between what you wrote and what Madlith posted above (that we were lucky last year, things even out, and we've squandered a good opportunity to improve.)

You're right that this group is too pessimistic for a team that's won the NFC North 3 of the last 6 years. For all of our bitching, JA must be doing something right.

We do have a lot of things to be optimistic about. A great defense, a great special teams, adding talented players with something to prove . . . yet I keep thinking about the offensive line and it's scary on paper.

Good point.

Pretty much everywhere else other than OL, I'm either OK with it or quite happy. It's the OL that scres the crap out of me. It's the foundation of everything. I see the potential for improvement, but it doesn't mean my fears are squelched. It's not like our oppenents haven't been improving either...

Do you really care about record or SB wins? We could go 7-9 and win a SB and I'd sure as hell be a lot happier than what happened to the perfect Pats a few years back...

Record helps get you there...but it's not the end all.

Whatever. Angelo exists so people on this board can criticize 99% of the stuff he does. It doesn't matter what the team's record is.

Peace :dabears

Crack is back! Glad to see you postin' up again!

Good to see this board hasn't changed a bit since last year. :rolleyes:

Looks guys, I've been bitching about the O Line for pretty much the last 6 seasons and we've won the division half that time. The line still looks like a weakness but hopefully the new kid will bring some much needed piss and vinegar. Tice has proven himself to me.

As to JA, no comment. I've been a pretty big defender of his over the years and after all this time (and reasonably good success) he still rightfully takes criticism.

Now let's hope we don't lose to the f'in Packers in the playoffs again this season. Sheesh! I'm still not over THAT.

not to be facetious, but progressively better than what? we gave up 52 sacks last season!!!

if everyone thinks tice is such a genious by getting the most out of the worst talent in the nfl to rank an offensive line at the bottom of the league then think what he could have done with even AVERAGE talent to work with.

even just starting training camp can you possibly believe that without an unlooked for miracle this offensive line could possibly rank in the top 10 by seasons end?