Anyone worried about Cutler's weight

bradjock

I went to the 2nd practice and I thought Cutler looked like Robbie Gould. This concerned me. He says it was to imrpove his mobility, except he was pretty damn mobile to begin with and Martz doesn't want his QB's leaving the pocket. So why did he slim down?

Meanwhile the media is saying Cutler looks great and worked hard to slim down. The thing is, to me Cutler always looked like a big strong athlete who could take a beating and get up. Now he's built more like Robbie Gould.

I'm sitting here trying to think of times/situations where players wanted to lose weight and it was a good thing. Marcus Harrison: Good. The fat OT from Minny: Good. Tony Mandarich: Bad. Sammy Sosa: Bad

What I'm scared to death of is one of two things:

a) Cutler didn't lift much in the offseason and lost muscle mass

B) He quit taking HGH for fear of being caught with the new CBA. (just for the record I want all our players to be on HGH . . . just win damnit!)

B) He quit taking HGH for fear of being caught with the new CBA. (just for the record I want all our players to be on HGH . . . just win damnit!)

I'm sure Cutler wasn't on HGH. Unless.....the double chin he had last season was just another muscle around a really strong neck.

But, I really didn't see anything that I would consider alarming with his size.

I went to the 2nd practice and I thought Cutler looked like Robbie Gould. This concerned me. He says it was to imrpove his mobility, except he was pretty damn mobile to begin with and Martz doesn't want his QB's leaving the pocket. So why did he slim down?

Meanwhile the media is saying Cutler looks great and worked hard to slim down. The thing is, to me Cutler always looked like a big strong athlete who could take a beating and get up. Now he's built more like Robbie Gould.

I'm sitting here trying to think of times/situations where players wanted to lose weight and it was a good thing. Marcus Harrison: Good. The fat OT from Minny: Good. Tony Mandarich: Bad. Sammy Sosa: Bad

Cutler is a diabetic and that may be the sole reason he is making sure he maintains a certain weight.I have in the past felt he looked a little puffy but once I learned he was a diabetic I refrained from making comments about it. I remember the first Bear player who I new was a diabetic was Jay Leuenberger a formerC/G during the Wannie days.There was much talk about how he couldn't bulk up to play OG and then it was revealed that he was diabetic.I have no idea what those guys go through while playing such a physically demanding sport but I guess the Bears should know how to monitor something like that.

Cutler is a diabetic and that may be the sole reason he is making sure he maintains a certain weight.I have in the past felt he looked a little puffy but once I learned he was a diabetic I refrained from making comments about it. I remember the first Bear player who I new was a diabetic was Jay Leuenberger a formerC/G during the Wannie days.There was much talk about how he couldn't bulk up to play OG and then it was revealed that he was diabetic.I have no idea what those guys go through while playing such a physically demanding sport but I guess the Bears should know how to monitor something like that.

Yep...that would be a major reason for his weight loss. I believe his Diabetes is Type II which is also known as "adult-onset" or something. A major issue with Diabetics overall is how they metabolize glucose (sugar) in that the body has difficulty in producing insulin to break it down. One of the tried and true ways of keeping it at bay is weight management. If he looks thinner and healthy that is a great thing, not something to be concerned about. If he looks skinny (think runway model) and lethargic and no pep, then be cOncerned. I think, from what I hear, is that he is the first option and will actually do better in sports in that condition. More flexibility and mobility wOuld be a by-product which is also very good.

It's actually Type 1...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9126975

Yep...that would be a major reason for his weight loss. I believe his Diabetes is Type II which is also known as "adult-onset" or something. A major issue with Diabetics overall is how they metabolize glucose (sugar) in that the body has difficulty in producing insulin to break it down. One of the tried and true ways of keeping it at bay is weight management. If he looks thinner and healthy that is a great thing, not something to be concerned about. If he looks skinny (think runway model) and lethargic and no pep, then be cOncerned. I think, from what I hear, is that he is the first option and will actually do better in sports in that condition. More flexibility and mobility wOuld be a by-product which is also very good.

Not in the the least...

I'm thrilled!

Fat doesn't pad the beating you take as much as you think! I can vouch for that as I'm fairly fat and took my share of licks as a youth on the field. Muscle pads the beating.

Looks at the beating the a guy like Steve Largent took?

I seriously doubt he was on HGH due to his diabetes...but one never really knows. It's possible, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Becasue he didn't look like the Hulk, he looked a little chubby around the face and neck.

I don't believe he lost muscle mass from the pics I've seen. He just looks to have lost fat. Assuming he did so by both diet and excercise, I would imagine he has more muscle mass.

As for Diabetes, MY wife has it, Although she control hers by diet. After going to the Seminar on it, If your a type 1 You have to have a continous flow of insulin that monitered quite often throughout the day, Why Jay had a Pump implanted. When he was at camp he was tired and loosing weight like crazy, After the insilin he balooned up a bit which is normal according to our brochures. Iam sure after a couple of years with this condidtion he found a very happy medium with diet , excersise, and insulin intake. Bobby Clark went through this with the Philly Flyers in the 70's he had the same problem early oin his condidtion. I think its more learning about his intake versus insulin and workout regiment. From all accounts he is looking great in camp.

From the pictures he looked pretty cut up, well at least his arms looked good. I would be worried he got on the LA diet and that is why he lost the weight. If he worked out hard and that is why he dropped some weight then its all good

• 2 weeks later...
It can be risky in Chicago commenting on a public figure's weight. The other day at a River North restaurant, singer LeAnn Rimes expressed disgust after a patron referenced her skinny frame, reports say. So it was a relief when I asked Cutler if he ever had been leaner entering a season and he politely confirmed the obvious.

"I have not been this lean,'' Cutler said. "I could tell the difference in my footwork and my ability to get up in the pocket. I don't really get as tired as much throughout camp because I'm not carrying the weight.''

Link

I totally agree.

I see more confidence as well. The whole package is seemingly getting better...

Agree I think he seems more focused and on a mission coming into this season, while he may deny it you can bet the end of last season is motivation to him to prove people wrong about him and this team. I was pleased to see him come into cap in shape, and in better overall shape. I felt he was a bit heavy (now I'm not a light guy either lol so no throwing stones in glass houses). It's good to see him making the extra effort to put himself in a better position to play better, his weight along with that he ran practices in the extended off-season as well as focusing on tightening up his footwork. I like seeing a player dedicating himself to improvement. Unlike guys like Harrison who showed up overweight or Roy Williams that showed up out of shape.

Cutler, the other night vs the Giants, looked more cool and calm when things didn't go right. His fundamentals were leaps and bounds better. His "body language" (whatever the f*** that even means) wasn't bad.

Hopefully Cutler continues to play this way throughout the season.

Your right. unfortunately i didnt get the chance to watch the game but when I was listening to the radio all the guys were raving about how calm and collected he was, especially considering he didnt kill Roy Williams after those drops. I wanted to kill Roy Williams after the 1st drop lol I guess that says how calm and collected I am.

I don't have the option of watching the games so did not see it, but if Cutler can get time to throw and used to the system, I cannot imagine a better scenario. That guy has got immeasurable talent IMO, he can throw the ball, if he has the time, personnel, and mental part down he is a lock to greatness.

LETS GO BEARS!