Postgame thoughts thread

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Well, I finally got to see the "tape" from the game and only caught half before I had to head off to work. Here are my "two cents" and for what that is worth:

- I am a HUGE fan of Tim Jennings. He hits and he hits hard. And historically he seems to be in the right place at the right time. In the first half of the game he would have had an INT had it not been for offensive pass interference. His one big downside...size, or lack thereof.

- I like Major Wright. Mostly for what I see him doing similar to Jennings in the hitting department. And the above mentioned article got it spot on with Wright. He is playing with mucho more confidence than I recall seeing before. His big downside....health.

- The minuscule amount of time I saw Roy Williams play, I liked what I saw. He was going over the middle, with little concern, and that is a BIG plus for Cutler. The confidence in having a guy do that and be THAT guy will pay HUGE dividends later for Jay. The fact that he DIDN'T get thrown to tells me that there is much more in store. That to me is exciting.

- My wife would say I have a "man-crush" from time to time and she thinks now its for Marion Barber (sorry Jay). That guy and his running is just jaw-dropping. I am a big big big fan of the physical play when it comes to running. Granted this was one PRESEASON game but I am encouraged that he has not lost that tenacity that he had when he went to the Pro Bowl in '07.

- There is no doubt in my mind that Hanie is a VERY capable back-up QB. I would go as far as to say that should Cutler get hurt or be unavailable (I don't ever hope for this) I have utmost confidence in Hanie being able to fill in. Just review him in last year's NFC Championship game (the biggest I'm sure in his career) and he did pretty well. Minus the two INTs.

- Dave Toub is like Mike Shannahan when he was coaching in Denver. Where Shanny could employ his "zone-scheme" blocking and virtually guarantee a 1,000 rusher...whoever it was, Toub can do the same with a return man. I would qualify that Hester is simply amazing and Knox is fast but when you get a guy like Bennett (not fast or Hester=like amazing) and he can run one back there is something special being orchestrated. Toub is the conductor and man is he good.

- This is fact, don't care what you think about management or coaches. This TEAM knows it some Defense. No ifs, ands or buts.

- I mistook Okoye for a young Tommie Harris. Not just because he was wearing his old number but he looked like he is ready to make it a big year, but maybe better.

- And lastly, perhaphs my only real negative observation (if you can call it that). To me, it is obvious the team (coaching) is aware that the OL is the weak link in the WHOLE team right now. The fact they played the "starters" for a huge chunk of the game tells me they are still reviewing. And I liked the few glimpses I saw of Cutler and Tice talking on the sideline. Could they have been talking about going out on the town later sure but me thinks they were comparing notes. And with a guy like Tice listening to a guy like Cutler, that is awesome.

Last year I had "cautious optimisim", this year I feel barn-storming good about. Fellas....I feel good about what is upon us.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally saw the game on NFL Network. I was not impressed at all with Hanie, too many double clutches before he was throwing. That's a huge tip off the defenders, and of course he had a tendency to throw late. He didn't get much in the way of practice reps last year and with the lockout he's only had 10 practices in this offense so I'm still on his side. Enderle is lost but I loved some of his throws. He has the ability to drop the ball in over the top of good coverage. Seems like a decent pickup for a 5th rd pick.

- I like Major Wright. Mostly for what I see him doing similar to Jennings in the hitting department. And the above mentioned article got it spot on with Wright. He is playing with mucho more confidence than I recall seeing before. His big downside....health.
Major Wright is gonna be a beast, but he plays with such reckless abandon. His body is always going to be hurt.

- The minuscule amount of time I saw Roy Williams play, I liked what I saw. He was going over the middle, with little concern, and that is a BIG plus for Cutler. The confidence in having a guy do that and be THAT guy will pay HUGE dividends later for Jay. The fact that he DIDN'T get thrown to tells me that there is much more in store. That to me is exciting.
I think this pick up is going to be huge. I only hope it offsets the loss of Olsen. Olsens field stretching ability often kept coverge honest. Davis will need to burn somebody early on to get that back.

- My wife would say I have a "man-crush" from time to time and she thinks now its for Marion Barber (sorry Jay). That guy and his running is just jaw-dropping. I am a big big big fan of the physical play when it comes to running. Granted this was one PRESEASON game but I am encouraged that he has not lost that tenacity that he had when he went to the Pro Bowl in '07.
Solid pickup.

- Dave Toub is like Mike Shannahan when he was coaching in Denver. Where Shanny could employ his "zone-scheme" blocking and virtually guarantee a 1,000 rusher...whoever it was, Toub can do the same with a return man. I would qualify that Hester is simply amazing and Knox is fast but when you get a guy like Bennett (not fast or Hester=like amazing) and he can run one back there is something special being orchestrated. Toub is the conductor and man is he good.
Toub is easily the best coach on this team.

- I mistook Okoye for a young Tommie Harris. Not just because he was wearing his old number but he looked like he is ready to make it a big year, but maybe better.
Love this pick up. The staff was drooling over this kid when he was drafted. This may quietly be the best offseason move.

- And lastly, perhaphs my only real negative observation (if you can call it that). To me, it is obvious the team (coaching) is aware that the OL is the weak link in the WHOLE team right now. The fact they played the "starters" for a huge chunk of the game tells me they are still reviewing. And I liked the few glimpses I saw of Cutler and Tice talking on the sideline. Could they have been talking about going out on the town later sure but me thinks they were comparing notes. And with a guy like Tice listening to a guy like Cutler, that is awesome.
Sorry, but Tice has not won me over. I simply dont trust the whole chain on the offensive side of the ball. I hope I'm wrong, because I want so badly for the O, especially OL, turn the corner. Still think we fall short of contending because of them.

Great observations!

I was very impressed with Barber, Bell and Unga. Those guys ran hard and mean. Lowered shoulders, bounced off tackles... A great balance to Forte's style.

Also, did you notice the guns on Okoye? Between Izzy, Peppers and him, they look like a superhero group like the Avengers!

I'm honestly not sure how the results of games will go in the season...but I got the vibe we will be dangerous to play against. I like that.

Well, I finally got to see the "tape" from the game and only caught half before I had to head off to work. Here are my "two cents" and for what that is worth:

- I am a HUGE fan of Tim Jennings. He hits and he hits hard. And historically he seems to be in the right place at the right time. In the first half of the game he would have had an INT had it not been for offensive pass interference. His one big downside...size, or lack thereof.

- There is no doubt in my mind that Hanie is a VERY capable back-up QB. I would go as far as to say that should Cutler get hurt or be unavailable (I don't ever hope for this) I have utmost confidence in Hanie being able to fill in. Just review him in last year's NFC Championship game (the biggest I'm sure in his career) and he did pretty well. Minus the two INTs.

- This is fact, don't care what you think about management or coaches. This TEAM knows it some Defense. No ifs, ands or buts.

Last year I had "cautious optimisim", this year I feel barn-storming good about. Fellas....I feel good about what is upon us.

I think Biggs hits the perfect tone here.

The problem for the Bears after the 10-3 victory is they'll be stuck all week on the number nine — the Bills' sack total. It's the same number the line allowed in the first half against the Giants last October, when Jay Cutler was lost to a concussion. The Bears return to New Meadowlands Stadium, where they set a dubious NFL record, to face the Giants in their next exhibition game Aug. 22.

"Too much pressure on the quarterback," coach Lovie Smith said. "We need to tighten that up."

Left tackle J'Marcus Webb needs to look a lot better, and he will be facing Jason Pierre-Paul, who had two sacks Saturday night against Panthers Pro Bowl left tackle Jordan Gross, and possibly an angry Osi Umenyiora, who has not received the contract he demanded.

Webb was responsible for at least two sacks in a half of action against the Bills and was dominated early by Shawne Merriman, who had two sacks and forced a third in nine snaps.

"Maybe I didn't match his intensity," Webb said. "They came out as if we were in the regular season, and obviously I didn't. I've got to get a little bit better."

That's a scary admission, but Webb fielded questions honestly afterward, knowing he can't look like that the next time out.

Evaluating the offensive line in preseason is tricky. There wasn't any chip blocking or tight end help that you'll see during the regular season. The Bears, of course, are better off with running back Matt Forte out in a short pattern than throwing a shoulder into a pass rusher.

Depending on how the coaches break down the tape, at least one-third of the sacks were the result of the quarterback holding the ball too long or receivers failing to break open. You can't always pile it on the line, but when it's the group that allowed a league-high 56 sacks last season, it's the first place everyone points. For all the knocks, the offense rushed for 164 yards, averaging 4.7 per carry.

Young right guard Lance Louis also looked a little overwhelmed, and that was coming off two solid weeks of training camp. He's a physical performer who fell flat on his face at times.

"My technique was all over the place," Louis said. "And I just feel real bad about the way I performed. I can't afford to do that."

The best news was Roberto Garza looked experienced at center and Carimi was poised at right tackle. They should have confidence moving forward.

"I thought I played pretty well," Carimi said. "I had solid technique, and I'll just keep on trying. I've got to get better every day."

The Bears could sub out Louis if they move Garza back to his familiar right guard spot and insert newcomer Chris Spencer, who played well in the second half, at center. They're unlikely to have a quick trigger, but that's a definite option.

There isn't much of a fall-back plan at left tackle. Presumably the club has learned from experience about yo-yoing players around, and that should discourage them from moving Carimi. If other teams thought Carimi was a left tackle, he wouldn't have lasted until No. 29 in the draft.

The solution is Webb has to come ready to play.

Edit: of course, one thing left unwritten is that "If other teams thought Webb was a left tackle, he wouldn't have lasted to the 7th round".

"Maybe I didn't match his intensity," Webb said. "They came out as if we were in the regular season, and obviously I didn't. I've got to get a little bit better."

I don't find this type honesty refreshing or encouraging. This guy is starting his first NFL game at left tackle, against Merriman and he is not playing like it's a real game. These are the type of pussies that do not deserve an NFL check. Potential, check. Lazy, CHECK! Unmotivated, CHECK CHECK! If I were his coach I'd rip the C off his helmet in front of the team and immediately demote him. Absolute horseshit. Sorry for the rant...

So far Lance Louis has been a training Camp star just like last year but in games he is showing that he is not a starter and should be replaced like last year.

If ever there was a preseason game that followed that old cliche' "Defense is ahead of offense", this was it.

Giving up 3 sacks in the first 9 snaps is discouraging to say the least but atleast they actually have game film to evaluate who can translate practice into production during games.

The defense played well the whole game but 2 core rotation players got injured(Wooten and Bowman). This will give the staff a chance to give a good look to Gholsten how showed flashes and the 2 Moores (DJ and Josh).

I too believe that the battle for backup RB may be decided soon if indeed Barber continues to impress and that would allow the Bears to do the right thing and cut Taylor early enough to try and catch on with another team. Bell will probably be that 3rd guy because of his special teams play. Trying to figure out why there is FBs on this roster,has me scratching my head because of what we saw last year from the offense often had the TE as the lead blocker.The team even showed som 2 TE sets with a FB against the Bills and I was shocked. There was a lot of great runs during the game but I really liked Unga's when he turned what looked like a one yard gain into a five yarder with a big pile of players that resembled a rugby play. I believe if he sticks it will be as a practice player.

Goodbye Marcus Harrison,your injury is the main reason why you should show up to camp in shape.

The possible extra WR spot isn't Sazenmachers to lose.The kid Adams from UTEP looked decent also.

I think Biggs hits the perfect tone here.

Edit: of course, one thing left unwritten is that "If other teams thought Webb was a left tackle, he wouldn't have lasted to the 7th round".

HA!! Nice one. And too true.

Carimi should be at LT, and Webb should be at RT. Webb proved, once again, that he's below average as a LT.

Biggs

Whatever fire line coach Mike Tice lit under Webb after the game — and the guess here is it was a multi-alarm blaze — it worked Monday afternoon. Webb was as intense as he has ever been in practice, walling off Peppers in one-on-one pass-rushing drills.

"I can't wait to see the film," Tice said. "I know for a fact that was his best one-on-ones. He's a hell of a talent. He just needs to realize that just because you're gifted, it's not going to be easy."

Webb and the offensive linemen ran sprints after practice, something they don't do very often.

"I took it upon myself to practice with more of a purpose and practice with more intensity," he said.

Webb probably regrets saying after Saturday's game that he didn't match the intensity of Merriman, the former Pro Bowl star who has been derailed for three seasons by injuries.

"I played for a long time and I don't know that I ever had that (intensity) problem," Tice said. "I have a problem with that from a personal standpoint — a player that's saying he didn't have the intensity level. I mean, after sitting around for five months you should have plenty of intensity built up inside you.

"He's got to understand we put a world of weight on his shoulders. He needs to step up and play better and he needs to grow up quicker. He's out on the island with our philosophy this year, hoping that we don't keep backs in and chip. He needs to buck up."

Fair or not, a seventh-round pick from 2010 is under the microscope, and to a great degree, the success of quarterback Jay Cutler and the offense depends upon that position excelling. Remember, Mike Martz's Greatest Show on Turf in St. Louis had the blind side anchored by Orlando Pace, one of the best left tackles of the last two decades.

Does Webb believe he's being spotlighted?

"Depends on who you ask, I guess," he said.

"I'm not looking at (the Bills game) as a hiccup. I'm looking at it as a chance to get better, something to build off of, something not to take for granted."

I don't find this type honesty refreshing or encouraging. This guy is starting his first NFL game at left tackle, against Merriman and he is not playing like it's a real game. These are the type of pussies that do not deserve an NFL check. Potential, check. Lazy, CHECK! Unmotivated, CHECK CHECK! If I were his coach I'd rip the C off his helmet in front of the team and immediately demote him. Absolute horseshit. Sorry for the rant...

This really shouldn't come as any surprise on this team. Rex Grossman done the same against Green Bay & that was a regular season game

Some of this criticism is a bit unwarranted IMO. It's common to hear players and coaches across the league state that intensity picks up when the real games start. The only way that can happen is if intensity is lower during the preseason. Even guys like Urlacher have said as much in years past. Intensity also picks up again in the playoffs and the only way that can happen is?

I would say that years ago it used to be common that teams didn't blitz much during preseason, and in general the hard licks on QBs, WRs, RBs were avoided as a matter of professional courtesy, and it went both ways. In fact you wanted your starters out when the backups were on the field because you never knew what some overzealous guy might do to impress someone (i.e. headhunter) thinking it will help him make the team.

Over the last decade that has changed dramatically. Buffalo had no problem blitzing us from the first snap of the game and coming after our QB. Perhaps it's a factor of all the free agency changes in personnel and the need to get so many new players understanding all aspects of their new offense or defense, guys fighting over starting roles moreso than before FA, etc.

My concern isn't so much that guys like Urlacher aren't playing all out, we know what he can do. It's a young player like Webb who should be going all out to hold down what could be a very highly paying job at LT. He had a great opportunity to demonstrate what he could do against Shawn Merriman, what a great opportunity. This week he gets another shot to show he belongs against the Giants defense that made our entire Oline look horrible.

I think your last point sums it up. If it's Url lacking a little intensity, hey no worries...we know he'll ratch it up when it counts. But a guy like Webb, who is trying to be a starter in this league has no excuse not to be giving it his all. I don't mind the honesty. But, he better learn from this error and ratch it up now.

Some of this criticism is a bit unwarranted IMO. It's common to hear players and coaches across the league state that intensity picks up when the real games start. The only way that can happen is if intensity is lower during the preseason. Even guys like Urlacher have said as much in years past. Intensity also picks up again in the playoffs and the only way that can happen is?

I would say that years ago it used to be common that teams didn't blitz much during preseason, and in general the hard licks on QBs, WRs, RBs were avoided as a matter of professional courtesy, and it went both ways. In fact you wanted your starters out when the backups were on the field because you never knew what some overzealous guy might do to impress someone (i.e. headhunter) thinking it will help him make the team.

Over the last decade that has changed dramatically. Buffalo had no problem blitzing us from the first snap of the game and coming after our QB. Perhaps it's a factor of all the free agency changes in personnel and the need to get so many new players understanding all aspects of their new offense or defense, guys fighting over starting roles moreso than before FA, etc.

My concern isn't so much that guys like Urlacher aren't playing all out, we know what he can do. It's a young player like Webb who should be going all out to hold down what could be a very highly paying job at LT. He had a great opportunity to demonstrate what he could do against Shawn Merriman, what a great opportunity. This week he gets another shot to show he belongs against the Giants defense that made our entire Oline look horrible.

Agreed like you mentioned he should have been one of those overzealous guys trying to prove that his level of comp in college didn't matter and he could block a former All-Pro LB Merriman. He should have been foaming at the mouth to go against Merriman especially since he practices against Peppers and Idonije everyday who are intense every practice.

Agreed like you mentioned he should have been one of those overzealous guys trying to prove that his level of comp in college didn't matter and he could block a former All-Pro LB Merriman. He should have been foaming at the mouth to go against Merriman especially since he practices against Peppers and Idonije everyday who are intense every practice.

Sometimes though, it takes getting beat by a guy doing something unexpected to really get you going. Hopefully that happened here.

Sometimes though, it takes getting beat by a guy doing something unexpected to really get you going. Hopefully that happened here.

I don't think its in his makeup. During the offseason he made a few in studio appearances with some of the local sportcasters and he came across as being kind of laidback IMO.Soft-spoken and somewhat intellectual. I have no problem with him being sort of a gentle giant but, that is not the guy who was described as someone who smacked Tice around in workouts prior to the draft. If you have heard Chris Williams interviewed,there isn't much difference in their demeanor IMO. Early during TC I saw a clip of Lovie giving it to Williams about his ugly goatee telling him"You outta shave that ugly thing off" and Williams just basically responded with I'm just tryin something different and Lovie repeated"You need to shave that ugly thing off". Obviously Lovie was miked up for the clip and was standing right in front of Williams and you could barely hear what his response was and he was in full pads and on the practice field. There is a world of difference between the way Williams and Webb sound as opposed to Carimi who seems very confident of himself.

great points...

Carimi seems to have that edge of confidence and swagger. And he seems to have a mean streak.

Something it appears Webb and WIlliams are lacking... There have been great players with similar demeanor. But, I'm not sure there's been a lot.

I don't think its in his makeup. During the offseason he made a few in studio appearances with some of the local sportcasters and he came across as being kind of laidback IMO.Soft-spoken and somewhat intellectual. I have no problem with him being sort of a gentle giant but, that is not the guy who was described as someone who smacked Tice around in workouts prior to the draft. If you have heard Chris Williams interviewed,there isn't much difference in their demeanor IMO. Early during TC I saw a clip of Lovie giving it to Williams about his ugly goatee telling him"You outta shave that ugly thing off" and Williams just basically responded with I'm just tryin something different and Lovie repeated"You need to shave that ugly thing off". Obviously Lovie was miked up for the clip and was standing right in front of Williams and you could barely hear what his response was and he was in full pads and on the practice field. There is a world of difference between the way Williams and Webb sound as opposed to Carimi who seems very confident of himself.