Maybin????

azbearsfan

The only reason I'd even consider it is injury, but Wooten is only out for 4 weeks. If we were talking 3 months then why not, worst case scenario he'd get cut right away.

I'm not sure the Bears don't consider Melton an option a DE if needed. They have enough bodies at DT to weather a temporary situation. Also like you said they do expect Wooten to be ready for the start of the season.

Could he be looked at as a backup LB though?

Try safety. Hell, he's damn too damn undersized to play linebacker. Lance lists at 6-1 244, while #54 weighs in at 258.

Per nfl.com Taylor Mays is 6-3 230 while Chris Harris is 6-0 211.

Maybin needs to add at least 20 pounds of muscle. That ain't happening over night.

I'm not sure the Bears don't consider Melton an option a DE if needed. They have enough bodies at DT to weather a temporary situation. Also like you said they do expect Wooten to be ready for the start of the season.

No chance Melton moves. He gained 20 pounds in preparation of playing DT and he looked damn good Saturday night. He's slotted to fill Tommie's role which is viewed as the most important position on the defense. I predict we'll see him and Okoye starting on opening day.

Not to mention, Gholston impressed Saturday. He had big plays including a tipped pass, shoving the OT into the QB and setting up the special teams fumble. As of right now, Gholston makes the team IMO. We could do one helluva a lot worse for a #3 or #4 DE. Not to mention, unlike Maybin, Gholston's in great shape. He's ripped and lists at 6-3 262.

Link

According to multiple sources, the team has had discussions about Aaron Maybin, who was waived by the Bills on Monday. All indications are the 11th pick of the 2009 draft wants to play for defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

The Bears and 30 other teams have until 3 p.m. Tuesday to consider placing a claim for Maybin. His contract for the next three years is affordable. He's owed $757,500 this season and $3.36 million through 2013. The question is whether anyone believes he'll produce if he's moved to defensive end from outside linebacker, where he lacked instincts.

The Bears could use another body at defensive end. Promising second-year player Corey Wootton suffered meniscus damage in his right knee Saturday. He is scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery Tuesday and is expected to be out four weeks.

Mario Addison, an undrafted free agent out of Troy, has impressed coaches and earned second-team reps Monday. The Bears also have seen some good things from former Jet Vernon Gholston. They want to see more.

Like Gholston, the 23-year-old Maybin has yet to register an NFL sack (27 games) despite entering the league with great expectations out of Penn State. If the Bears take a chance on him, they'd want him to bulk up immediately. He reported to Bills camp at 228 pounds.

The waiver system is currently based on last year's standings, meaning the Bears select 29th in the event they're involved and multiple teams place a claim for him. As late as they are in the process, if the Bears are interested it might make more sense for them to see if he clears waivers to then negotiate a short-term contract like they did with Gholston.

To me this seems more "agent driven." Even if the Bears have had discussions about him, the discussion could have been, "No way in hell we want to sign that dude." Do that many guys really want to play for Marinelli? Especially when we're not looking for a starter, we seem invested in Corey Wooton and we already have one top 10 retread on the roster.

Hell, at 228 pounds, the only way we sign him is give him a 2 year deal and place him on IR. (I know teams aren't supposed to do that but I'm sure it happens.)

Wooton is supposed to be back by week #1 or #2. As of right now, I think Gholston makes the team. You want your 5th DE to be someone young/hungry/cheap who has potential and is just thrilled to be in the league. This kid Mario Addison is a definite possibility . . .