Jimmy Mac to sue NFL over concussions...

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...er-concussions/

Jim McMahon sues the NFL over concussions

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 18, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT

Getty ImagesJim McMahon is one of seven former players suing the NFL over health problems that they say are the result of concussions and other brain injuries they suffered on the field.

McMahon, the Bears’ quarterback in their Super Bowl-winning 1985 season, joins a group of players saying that the NFL was negligent and that players have suffered from headaches, dizziness and dementia because of injuries suffered on the field.

“The purpose of this lawsuit is to obtain proper funding to address these horrible long-term issues and to compel the NFL to establish a medical monitoring system to reduce the risk that current and future players will end up with the same kind of chronic mental and physical problems,” the plaintiffs said in a joint statement.

McMahon revealed last year that he is suffering from memory loss. He said that when he was playing, teams didn’t care if players suffered concussions.

“Back then, it was just tape an aspirin to your helmet and you go back in,” McMahon said.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told the Associated Press that the league will vigorously contest the claims.

The other former players involved in the suit are Ray Easterling, Wayne Radloff, Gerry Feehery, Joe Thomas, Mike Furrey and Steve Kiner. In July, a separate group of dozens of former NFL players announced that they were filing their own lawsuit against the NFL over concussions.

Jim McMahon sues the NFL over concussions

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 18, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT

Getty ImagesJim McMahon is one of seven former players suing the NFL over health problems that they say are the result of concussions and other brain injuries they suffered on the field.

McMahon, the Bears’ quarterback in their Super Bowl-winning 1985 season, joins a group of players saying that the NFL was negligent and that players have suffered from headaches, dizziness and dementia because of injuries suffered on the field.

“The purpose of this lawsuit is to obtain proper funding to address these horrible long-term issues and to compel the NFL to establish a medical monitoring system to reduce the risk that current and future players will end up with the same kind of chronic mental and physical problems,” the plaintiffs said in a joint statement.

McMahon revealed last year that he is suffering from memory loss. He said that when he was playing, teams didn’t care if players suffered concussions.

“Back then, it was just tape an aspirin to your helmet and you go back in,” McMahon said.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told the Associated Press that the league will vigorously contest the claims.

The other former players involved in the suit are Ray Easterling, Wayne Radloff, Gerry Feehery, Joe Thomas, Mike Furrey and Steve Kiner. In July, a separate group of dozens of former NFL players announced that they were filing their own lawsuit against the NFL over concussions.

I wonder if the lawyers of the NFL will show film clips of Mc Mahon head butting his lineman as a defense.

Sad to hear McMahon is another casualty. It's hard to place a value on your very brain. Though I'm not surprised, it's also unfortuante the NFL is taking their "vigorous" defensive position (lawyers are trained to think they're not doing their job if they don't). Maybe I'm naive but if they just acted in good faith the players might work with them. The idea being that both sides knew there could be risks but didn't know it for a fact and didn't pursue answers conciensciously. Was the NFL negligent moreso than the players? Probably, but maybe not by much.

The real deal is that both sides participated and knew the risks, and the players will without quesiion bear consequences, physical, financial, and mental (RIP Dave Deurson), but will the the NFL? Any at all? It's a necessary question that it shouldn't take courts to answer, but such is life.

I believe they did just act in good faith with the new collective bargaining agreement gives a lot of medical benefits to retired players. Jimmy Mac led his life with reckless abandon both on and off the field but that's why we loved him. I wish he would have slid more often rather than taking the hit, so did his coaches.

I believe they did just act in good faith with the new collective bargaining agreement gives a lot of medical benefits to retired players. Jimmy Mac led his life with reckless abandon both on and off the field but that's why we loved him. I wish he would have slid more often rather than taking the hit, so did his coaches.

I just don't know what to think about Jimmy Mac sometimes...it many he was tough as nails and a seeming great guy, in other way, ala 1986 when he missed a bunch of the season after he slipped on the ice on the way to the field, it seemed he did not care about playing football too much. And some of his antics post football are, well, embarrassing.

However, he was a true leader and got the job done, even if he did not have a Cutler type arm.

I can't say for sure...but this seems more like the idea of putting the issue in the forefront than for Jimmy to get some loot from the NFL. It could be both. But, if this sheds some more light on matters and attempts are made for better equipment,etc...then it could be a good thing.

Sad to hear McMahon is another casualty. It's hard to place a value on your very brain. Though I'm not surprised, it's also unfortuante the NFL is taking their "vigorous" defensive position (lawyers are trained to think they're not doing their job if they don't). Maybe I'm naive but if they just acted in good faith the players might work with them. The idea being that both sides knew there could be risks but didn't know it for a fact and didn't pursue answers conciensciously. Was the NFL negligent moreso than the players? Probably, but maybe not by much.

The real deal is that both sides participated and knew the risks, and the players will without quesiion bear consequences, physical, financial, and mental (RIP Dave Deurson), but will the the NFL? Any at all? It's a necessary question that it shouldn't take courts to answer, but such is life.

Very true...

Risk adverse is not something I'd say Jimmy was...

Reading this reminded me I'm still a little in the dark about the new agreement. I found these summaries online FYI:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Detail...-agreement.html

http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/images/2011/07...l_Summary_7.pdf