Went to Bears Training Camp on Friday

dawhizz

Never been, but had a nice time Friday afternoon. It's hard to come away with much after two hours in shorts, but here's what I saw:

1) Bell makes this team, Chester Taylor does not. Bell consistently hit the holes hard. Taylor, on the other hand, was on the ground way too much. Considering his salary and the way Barber is playing (impressive in person as well), I don't see how Taylor stays.

2) Mike Holmes is doing everything he can to make this team. He was one of the most fan-friendly players I saw, talking to fans on his way out and signing a bunch on his way back from the locker room. On the field he was returning punts (along with DJ Moore and, for some reason, Henry Melton) and did a nice job in coverage with the second unit. I know people have been talking up Joshua Moore, but don't be surprised if Holmes sticks as well.

3) Andy Fantuz is slow. Really slow. Slow running his routes. Slow out of his breaks. Slow with the ball. No way he makes the team.

4) Sam Hurd will get a good number of reps at WR. He may be the 5th receiver on the depth chart, but he caught the ball well all day and gives the team a nice combination of size and speed in the slot.

5) The Bears have a nice group of safeties. Major Wright is going to be a really good safety and was constantly around the ball. Chris Harris is fine and is a good veteran presence out there. Chris Conte doesn't quite have the instincts yet, but he's fast to the ball and has nice size. And the forgotten man, Craig Steltz, looked really good running with the second team, getting his hands on a lot of passes and reacting well to the plays. He's going to get some reps when the Bears go to 3 safeties.

1) Bell makes this team, Chester Taylor does not. Bell consistently hit the holes hard. Taylor, on the other hand, was on the ground way too much. Considering his salary and the way Barber is playing (impressive in person as well), I don't see how Taylor stays. - Have to say that its encouraging to know that Bell is continuing to do well. I am ESPECIALLY glad to know that Barber still looks the part. I am way disappointed by Taylor. Sounds (from your post and what I'm reading) he just doesn't care anymore. Good luck Chester...

2) Mike Holmes is doing everything he can to make this team. He was one of the most fan-friendly players I saw, talking to fans on his way out and signing a bunch on his way back from the locker room. On the field he was returning punts (along with DJ Moore and, for some reason, Henry Melton) and did a nice job in coverage with the second unit. - If for nothing else that makes him one of my new "favs". I realize he has a big hill to climb but I wish him luck and hope you are right. Interesting note about Melton...who knows what that's about.

4) Sam Hurd will get a good number of reps at WR. He may be the 5th receiver on the depth chart, but he caught the ball well all day and gives the team a nice combination of size and speed in the slot. - And see previous note above. Hurd is an all around good guy, of so I've heard. He's a multi-faceted asset with his WR and ST skills. Again, here's to hoping he makes the cut.

5)The Bears have a nice group of safeties. Major Wright is going to be a really good safety - you took the words right out of my mouth. I think this kid has a HUGE future ahead of him.

Thanks for the info. Muchly appreciated. Didn't happen to see Unga on the field? Sounds as though he has some off field issues (family) which are causing him to miss too much practice. Hopefully whatever the case is it works to what's best for he and his. Take care and best of luck to you Harvey.