Oline test

AZ54

Guest TerraTor
If that's the test, they passed. I'm not saying they were perfect, not even good enough yet, but compared to just a week ago they were a lot better.

Gotta hand it to Carimi and Williams..again its preseason but Louis sucks and dont think Webb can be much better than he is now...(not a positive thing)

If that's the test, they passed. I'm not saying they were perfect, not even good enough yet, but compared to just a week ago they were a lot better.

What scares me is that the Giants are rarely blizting. It makes me wonder if Coughlin & Lovie had an agreement, "don't go out of your way to kill my QB and I won't kill yours."

Is it improved play of the vanilla defense?

Last year they did not blitz either, Front line of the Giants just dominated on all fronts.

As for Webb, He looked dang good tonight he was all over Pierre paul and was never in any trouble. If this persists, then the sky is the limit for Webb,

Carimi looked awsome, For a rook he played dang good and was never outa position badly, Even when form was bad his strength made up for against Tuck. Thats saying a bunch.

Louis, I think this will be his last start. Move in Spencer to center and Garza back to guard, we are then set on the line.

C Williams did stay steady. I never seen him get really blown up and pulled well on serveral plays. Looking solid.

Yhe line did what they were supposed to do. As for recievers thats another story.

The OL did play better, but I'm still not impressed.

Keeping Cutler relatively clean is an improvement, but there were very few pockets that didn't get collapsed. The window to throw the ball is small, and probably will be all year.

I was also very disappointed by the stuff job on Barber. The OL has to get a better push than that.

Last year they did not blitz either, Front line of the Giants just dominated on all fronts.

As for Webb, He looked dang good tonight he was all over Pierre paul and was never in any trouble. If this persists, then the sky is the limit for Webb,

Carimi looked awsome, For a rook he played dang good and was never outa position badly, Even when form was bad his strength made up for against Tuck. Thats saying a bunch.

Louis, I think this will be his last start. Move in Spencer to center and Garza back to guard, we are then set on the line.

C Williams did stay steady. I never seen him get really blown up and pulled well on serveral plays. Looking solid.

Yhe line did what they were supposed to do. As for recievers thats another story.

The Giants blitzed last night and they blitzed last season with a DB off the corner. On the play when Giants Cb Thomas got hurt he was blitzing and got leg whipped his own man JPP. Last year on the play that finished Cutler for the night Aaron Ross blitzed off the corner clear and free and hit Cutler. On several occassions last night Jaws and Gruden pointed out how the Giants were coming on 3rd down and the Bears QBs needed to recognize it and hit the hot receiver. Since the Bears were so horrible on 3rd down it was good scheming on their part. I think it was a live by the sword die by the sword sort of thing when they lost 2 DBs in the game.

I watched the first half in slo-mo focusing on our offense. In order of good to bad:

Chris Williams and Roberto Garza played well, at least I didn't catch any obvious mistakes like I saw last week.

Webb will still have trouble with speed rushers on the edge but he was more solid in his blocking against the Giants, had a couple mistakes though but this time around he tried to stay with his man which allowed Cutler to step up.

Lance Louis...kid makes a lot of good plays followed by some not so great plays but overall he had a decent game. If Tice can ever get him to block with proper technique we'll have a good player. I'm no expert on blocking techniques but his arms often got pushed off the defensive player who then bull-rushed him back into the pocket. For now he's just getting by on his strength and athleticism and managed to stay with the block but he needs to learn how to anchor better. It wasn't all bad and Louis some solid blocks both in pass pro and the running game.

Carimi...Justin Tuck had his way most of the night, and I don't care what Jaws and Gruden said on MNF. There were plays during the game where I was blaming Louis for missing his block but when it's all slowed down it was Carimi. On multiple run plays Carimi was pushed aside, thrown down, etc. On one play, I think 1st and goal, the interior blockers had a great push and hole opened up but Carimi allowed Tuck to slide all the way down from the end and make the tackle. This happened on more than one running play too. It wasn't all bad, Carimi had his share of wins too but the kid has some work to do.

Overall much better than the Bills game. Guys knew their assignments much better, and on seven step drops (we had several) they even protected the QB well. Hopefully they gain confidence from this and we see another step up this weekend against the Titans.

Side note: On one running play designed to go up the middle the line had solid blocks and a good push, easily should have been a 4 yard gain or more yet Chester Taylor ran all by himself off left tackle for a 2yd gain. Hope he does better at his next job. To his credit his pass protection was key on one of our long gains when he slid to the right last minute to help Carimi.

Thanks for the analysis!

I watched the first half in slo-mo focusing on our offense. In order of good to bad:

Chris Williams and Roberto Garza played well, at least I didn't catch any obvious mistakes like I saw last week.

Webb will still have trouble with speed rushers on the edge but he was more solid in his blocking against the Giants, had a couple mistakes though but this time around he tried to stay with his man which allowed Cutler to step up.

Lance Louis...kid makes a lot of good plays followed by some not so great plays but overall he had a decent game. If Tice can ever get him to block with proper technique we'll have a good player. I'm no expert on blocking techniques but his arms often got pushed off the defensive player who then bull-rushed him back into the pocket. For now he's just getting by on his strength and athleticism and managed to stay with the block but he needs to learn how to anchor better. It wasn't all bad and Louis some solid blocks both in pass pro and the running game.

Carimi...Justin Tuck had his way most of the night, and I don't care what Jaws and Gruden said on MNF. There were plays during the game where I was blaming Louis for missing his block but when it's all slowed down it was Carimi. On multiple run plays Carimi was pushed aside, thrown down, etc. On one play, I think 1st and goal, the interior blockers had a great push and hole opened up but Carimi allowed Tuck to slide all the way down from the end and make the tackle. This happened on more than one running play too. It wasn't all bad, Carimi had his share of wins too but the kid has some work to do.

Overall much better than the Bills game. Guys knew their assignments much better, and on seven step drops (we had several) they even protected the QB well. Hopefully they gain confidence from this and we see another step up this weekend against the Titans.

Side note: On one running play designed to go up the middle the line had solid blocks and a good push, easily should have been a 4 yard gain or more yet Chester Taylor ran all by himself off left tackle for a 2yd gain. Hope he does better at his next job. To his credit his pass protection was key on one of our long gains when he slid to the right last minute to help Carimi.

Much appreciated. That's the kind of stuff I like to do when I have time. But, who has time?

The thing that jumped out on film when the Bears finished dissecting the offensive line in the last preseason outing was the athletic play of J'Marcus Webb.

That's precisely why Mike Tice made the move at the start of training camp to flip Webb from the right tackle to left tackle, a spot he believes the young player can flourish at. Webb wasn't a polished college product when he arrived in the NFL, so it's going to require more work.

Now, it looks like the preseason opener against the Bills was a hiccup.

When Webb said he didn't match Shawne Merriman's intensity, that was the best answer he could have given. If he simply wasn't up to the task, that would be a far greater problem.

"I knew all along, and I've been professing that, that he's a tremendous athlete, he showed for first time since maybe the New England game last year and maybe the Jets," Tice said. "He showed great athleticism, and bending and recovering and playing fast. That's what we expect from him. And that's what we have to expect from him every week. But he has to expect that from himself first. And if he does, then we'll be OK."

Link

First, I have to laugh. Been gone some time, but little changes. Jason still not happy with the OL :)

To me, the OL is a big concern, but there have been signs of life.

RT - Carimi had a bad game. I think many are so high on him (as am I) they assumed breakdowns were the fault of others, but tape showed he had a bad game. I think he will be very good, but we are going to see bad plays/games as well. He's a rookie.

RG - Louis started so bad most all thought he would be replaced, but played better in the last game. I think the staff will give him every chance possible due to his youth and potential. Time will tell if that's a mistake or not.

Garza - Still shocked he is starting center, but I think that has more to do with staff wanting Loius than Spencer.

LG - Williams - I'm still not sold, but getting hopeful. I did watch in slo-mo one play where Williams was pulling right, and flat destroyed. He missed his block, punching at air, then got blown up by another. With that said, most of his play seems to have improved, so there is hope.

RT - Webb - Well, he's not Omiyale, right?

Personally, I still would have liked to see Spencer at center and Garza at RG. I'd like to see this due to the experience factor. I think our 1st round rookie would have a better shot lined up next to Garza, rather than Louis. Ditto Williams/Webb on the other side with Spencer. More than talent, the lack of experience along the OL worries the hell out of me, especially once the season begins and teams begin to stunt/blitz and mix it up.

First, I have to laugh. Been gone some time, but little changes. Jason still not happy with the OL :)

To me, the OL is a big concern, but there have been signs of life.

RT - Carimi had a bad game. I think many are so high on him (as am I) they assumed breakdowns were the fault of others, but tape showed he had a bad game. I think he will be very good, but we are going to see bad plays/games as well. He's a rookie.

RG - Louis started so bad most all thought he would be replaced, but played better in the last game. I think the staff will give him every chance possible due to his youth and potential. Time will tell if that's a mistake or not.

Garza - Still shocked he is starting center, but I think that has more to do with staff wanting Loius than Spencer.

LG - Williams - I'm still not sold, but getting hopeful. I did watch in slo-mo one play where Williams was pulling right, and flat destroyed. He missed his block, punching at air, then got blown up by another. With that said, most of his play seems to have improved, so there is hope.

RT - Webb - Well, he's not Omiyale, right?

Personally, I still would have liked to see Spencer at center and Garza at RG. I'd like to see this due to the experience factor. I think our 1st round rookie would have a better shot lined up next to Garza, rather than Louis. Ditto Williams/Webb on the other side with Spencer. More than talent, the lack of experience along the OL worries the hell out of me, especially once the season begins and teams begin to stunt/blitz and mix it up.

I'm more for leaving Garza at center for now. He has had the opportunity to play next to Olin for several years and is the undisputed leader of the OL at this point. Now, if an all pro guard is cut for cap reasons, I sign him and relegate Louis to the pine for another season. Also, so far Williams has been or best lineman.

They've gotten a lot better on the pull blocking. Still some misses but compared to the first game where they struck out as often as Sammy Sosa it's a big difference. All these blocking schemes with someone pulling I don't think Carimi always knows his assignments.

By the way, did you notice the passing play where we pulled to blockers (OG, TE) simlulating a run play? I don't recall any of that last year so it seems Martz is getting more confident in the Oline, or at least wanted to test them in that scenario. Carimi missed his assignment, or at least seemed confused on which guy to block between the DE and LB and blocked neither.