Hello All - Been a long time

nfoligno

Hey everyone. Been out of the picture for some time. Work banned this site (actually expected me to work!) and life just got busy so little time at home to chat. BUT the block at work seems to be off, and nice timing with the season set to begin. So a hello and shoutout to all my old Bear Buds.

Let me guess:

Angelo is great.

No, Angelo sucks.

We need help on the OL to protect Cutler. Protect Cutler and he has time to get the ball to the recievers

No. We need a stud WR who can get open quicker so the OL doesn't have to protect all day.

We need a stud corner to shut down WRs

No. We need a pass rush to limit the time DBs have to cover WRs.

That draft pick (insert any) was amazing value

BS. That pick was a total reach.

The sod sucks.

Agreed!!!!!!!!

Okay, last one isn't a debate, but I know it was brought up :)

Welcome back! Been wondering about you. You have missed some good debates.

Let me guess:

Angelo is great.

No, Angelo sucks.

We need help on the OL to protect Cutler. Protect Cutler and he has time to get the ball to the recievers

No. We need a stud WR who can get open quicker so the OL doesn't have to protect all day.

We need a stud corner to shut down WRs

No. We need a pass rush to limit the time DBs have to cover WRs.

That draft pick (insert any) was amazing value

BS. That pick was a total reach.

The sod sucks.

Agreed!!!!!!!!

Okay, last one isn't a debate, but I know it was brought up :)

You've clearly been lurking.

Welcome back! I've missed your contributions!

:cheers

Hey everyone. Been out of the picture for some time. Work banned this site (actually expected me to work!) and life just got busy so little time at home to chat. BUT the block at work seems to be off, and nice timing with the season set to begin. So a hello and shoutout to all my old Bear Buds.

Welcome back! I would say a lot has changed simply because Cutler had 43 pass attempts with only 1 sack. Roy Williams still drops a lot of passes only now he's dropping them for us. On D #91 has really picked up his game and has 3 sacks in the preseason.

LOL. Nope. It's like a soap opera. You can miss a year, return and find the same characters and same story lines.

Is that indicative of the board, the team, or both? Seems to me the traits of the team drive the actions of the board. And if we're all still singing the same tunes, then it probably means the team hasn't addressed the variety of issues that the collective at talkbears finds paramount. <_>

I'd argue both.

Some issues are more philosophical differences with various board members lined up on either side. For example, shut down corner vs pass rush. One believes a shut down corner forces the QB to hold the ball longer, thus allowing DL more time to drop the QB. The other side argues a great pass rush pressures the QB sooner, easing the job of the secondary and often forcing the QB into bad passes, and thus turnovers. I bet you would find such a debate on any board.

Other issues are more Bears/Angelo specific. For example, the issue near and dear to your heart and mine. OL. Yes, Angelo did draft an OT in the 1st round this year. Yea. Yet regardless of this move, OL is still one of (if not the) top concern on the offense. I have always felt there were some positions Angelo either lacked the ability to evaluate, or didn't value as highly and thus lesser players were brought in. I see OL being an example here, and thus why I can be absent for a year, and still know OL will be a key debate.

Is that indicative of the board, the team, or both? Seems to me the traits of the team drive the actions of the board. And if we're all still singing the same tunes, then it probably means the team hasn't addressed the variety of issues that the collective at talkbears finds paramount. <_>

I see OL being an example here, and thus why I can be absent for a year, and still know OL will be a key debate.

I don't think anyone would ever argue against spending significant picks and FA acquisitions on the line. That would be like arguing that football isn't about two basics things, blocking and tackling. But there are those of us, you and I specifically, who've been sounding the alarm for years on Angelo's apparent lack of interest in this part of the team. And you and I rarely agree on anything!

Anyway, I was MIA for a while too and still don't get much time to spend here either. Life is funny. But no matter what, I always enjoy when I can breeze through the board and toss out a barb or two myself. And having you around makes the experience a whole lot more enjoyable.

LOL. Hey mut,

Add Jason into that mix of OL screamers as well. But yea. Few are against the OL, but many would rather get a skill position over the trench dogs.

Angelo always said he took the highest rated player on our board on draft day. Frankly, I might not disagree with that statement. The issue I have is with creating that draft board. It is my opinion that Angelo (and some of the staff around him) simply values other areas more than OL. Thus when creating a big board, OL get ranked by us lower than what most would. For example, say there is this DE most consider to be around pick 50 value (just using a number). And this OG most would consider in the 30 pick value range. On our board, it would not surprise me to see that same DE in the 30 slot while the OG was in the 50, simply because that's how Angelo values the two positions.

I don't think anyone would ever argue against spending significant picks and FA acquisitions on the line. That would be like arguing that football isn't about two basics things, blocking and tackling. But there are those of us, you and I specifically, who've been sounding the alarm for years on Angelo's apparent lack of interest in this part of the team. And you and I rarely agree on anything!

Anyway, I was MIA for a while too and still don't get much time to spend here either. Life is funny. But no matter what, I always enjoy when I can breeze through the board and toss out a barb or two myself. And having you around makes the experience a whole lot more enjoyable.

LOL. Hey mut,

Add Jason into that mix of OL screamers as well. But yea. Few are against the OL, but many would rather get a skill position over the trench dogs.

Angelo always said he took the highest rated player on our board on draft day. Frankly, I might not disagree with that statement. The issue I have is with creating that draft board. It is my opinion that Angelo (and some of the staff around him) simply values other areas more than OL. Thus when creating a big board, OL get ranked by us lower than what most would. For example, say there is this DE most consider to be around pick 50 value (just using a number). And this OG most would consider in the 30 pick value range. On our board, it would not surprise me to see that same DE in the 30 slot while the OG was in the 50, simply because that's how Angelo values the two positions.

Glad to see you back, you were the only on this site I could carry on an intelligent debate with. (just kidding)

Now that's a Hallmark moment if I ever saw one!

:cheers

Hey Lemonhead,

To be honest, I am not sure I have much more insight than what has come to be known.

Roy Williams - He was never hated here. His play never matched expectations, but his character didn't make him a hated player. That he went to the University of Texas may have contributed. Texas fans love their own, regardless what happens. As for play, the top knock you heard most often was his hands. Besides the issue with drops, which most Bear fans have already figured out, there was also the issue of fumbles. He is the sort of player that often would try to stretch out every yard possible. At times, the led to a fumble. It's one thing to fight for every yard, but Roy's decision making would come into question. He would fight when there was no reason. Like the team was up, and only needed to let the clock run, but rather than go down he stayed up and fought as multiple defenders tried (and did) strip the ball. Cowboys turn it over and the other team scores to win. There were a couple moments like this.

Frankly, I am pretty down on most any player (especially the highly touted ones) that come out of the University of Texas. I've had the argument with others here at the office. While there are exceptions, no question, I think most players who come out of that school lack character and discipline. Texas gets some high talent recruits, but does little to develop the character and create men. They enter the NFL immature and lacking responsibility. Again, I'm not saying all, but IMHO, many if not most seem to fit this mold, especially those who were stars for Texas.

I had no issue with the signing. My expectations were not high, but I felt he could potentially contribute, and the cost wasn't high.

Barber - Loved this signing. I felt he was no longer a player you could count on every down, but as a change of pace back, thought he had plenty in the tank. And we had a big need as our short yardage running has been simply so bad. Forte runs to up-right and gets drilled in short yardage. Barber isn't likely to break off longer runs as he once did, but is still a solid pile mover and if not used too much, can even be more. And again, price was right.

Hurd - I wasn't sure of the plan when we signed him. Was he brought in for receiving ability or special teams. As a receiver, I didn't think he would offer much, but it seems he was added for special teams, and in that area, I think he was a solid signing. We needed players after losing several solid ones, and he can play teams.

Like I said. At this point, I think all the above opinions have already played out, so I doubt my insight offers much. But for what it's worth, there you go.

Welcome Back NFO we could have used your insight on Williams and Barber. I look forwrad to reading your posts blasting JA lol.