Hello All - Been a long time

nfoligno

Hey Lemonhead,

To be honest, I am not sure I have much more insight than what has come to be known.

Roy Williams - He was never hated here. His play never matched expectations, but his character didn't make him a hated player. That he went to the University of Texas may have contributed. Texas fans love their own, regardless what happens. As for play, the top knock you heard most often was his hands. Besides the issue with drops, which most Bear fans have already figured out, there was also the issue of fumbles. He is the sort of player that often would try to stretch out every yard possible. At times, the led to a fumble. It's one thing to fight for every yard, but Roy's decision making would come into question. He would fight when there was no reason. Like the team was up, and only needed to let the clock run, but rather than go down he stayed up and fought as multiple defenders tried (and did) strip the ball. Cowboys turn it over and the other team scores to win. There were a couple moments like this.

Frankly, I am pretty down on most any player (especially the highly touted ones) that come out of the University of Texas. I've had the argument with others here at the office. While there are exceptions, no question, I think most players who come out of that school lack character and discipline. Texas gets some high talent recruits, but does little to develop the character and create men. They enter the NFL immature and lacking responsibility. Again, I'm not saying all, but IMHO, many if not most seem to fit this mold, especially those who were stars for Texas.

I had no issue with the signing. My expectations were not high, but I felt he could potentially contribute, and the cost wasn't high.

Barber - Loved this signing. I felt he was no longer a player you could count on every down, but as a change of pace back, thought he had plenty in the tank. And we had a big need as our short yardage running has been simply so bad. Forte runs to up-right and gets drilled in short yardage. Barber isn't likely to break off longer runs as he once did, but is still a solid pile mover and if not used too much, can even be more. And again, price was right.

Hurd - I wasn't sure of the plan when we signed him. Was he brought in for receiving ability or special teams. As a receiver, I didn't think he would offer much, but it seems he was added for special teams, and in that area, I think he was a solid signing. We needed players after losing several solid ones, and he can play teams.

Like I said. At this point, I think all the above opinions have already played out, so I doubt my insight offers much. But for what it's worth, there you go.

Thank you on two fronts.

First for calling me the name that only my friends call me(I consider you on this site as one of them) and second for spelling out some of the Texas look at what we have in Williams.I have been more active recently in posting here and have actually learned how to use more of the features getting me out of the dark ages.lol

Sam Hurd is a personal favorite of mine because of his NIU connection and I hope that he makes the team just because of his special teams prowess but if a guy like Kris Adams is waived or even the other kid Jones because of what Hurd might do then I may have a slight problem with it because the guy that Hurd replaced Davis treated the preseason as if his life depended on it.I haven't seen too much of Hurd at all.

Not to defend Hurd, but if 00% of a player's contribution is special teams, how much will we hear/see? Davis was a special teams ace, but also very much involved in the offense. If Hurd isn't getting much time in offense, or maybe only running with the 3rd string or worse, then he likely won't get much publicity. So he could be working his tail off, but simply in an area that doesn't get much publicity.

He could also be slacking. I don't know. Just saying

Thank you on two fronts.

First for calling me the name that only my friends call me(I consider you on this site as one of them) and second for spelling out some of the Texas look at what we have in Williams.I have been more active recently in posting here and have actually learned how to use more of the features getting me out of the dark ages.lol

Sam Hurd is a personal favorite of mine because of his NIU connection and I hope that he makes the team just because of his special teams prowess but if a guy like Kris Adams is waived or even the other kid Jones because of what Hurd might do then I may have a slight problem with it because the guy that Hurd replaced Davis treated the preseason as if his life depended on it.I haven't seen too much of Hurd at all.

Not to defend Hurd, but if 00% of a player's contribution is special teams, how much will we hear/see? Davis was a special teams ace, but also very much involved in the offense. If Hurd isn't getting much time in offense, or maybe only running with the 3rd string or worse, then he likely won't get much publicity. So he could be working his tail off, but simply in an area that doesn't get much publicity.

Tell me how was Davis very much involved in the offense. Did he even have 15 catches last year

Nfo he has been standing on the sidelines in shorts and a baseball cap during games all preseason. That tells me he is nursing an injury of some sort. When I have seen clips from the local media here at camp and he is standing on the side there also almost right next to Anthony Adams.He has practiced some with the 1st team but I haven't seen him in any of the games and I have watched them all.