Alex Brown cut from Saints

madlithuanian

Doubt he has much left, but I'd not be opposed to a try out. Not sentimental. Just need. We have no 3rd DE at the moment, and may not if Wooten doesn't return with the speed he was showing prior to the injury. Brown isn't a starter anymore, but that doesn't mean he couldn't contribute. Plus he knows the scheme already.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...cut-alex-brown/

Former Bear looking for a home...sadly, I don't think he'll help anymore.

Doubt he has much left, but I'd not be opposed to a try out. Not sentimental. Just need. We have no 3rd DE at the moment, and may not if Wooten doesn't return with the speed he was showing prior to the injury. Brown isn't a starter anymore, but that doesn't mean he couldn't contribute. Plus he knows the scheme already.

Agreed 100%!!!

Peace :dabears

Then, he was a $5m+/yr player, and at least NO (if not others) felt he was still a starting DE. Now? Now he will likely be viewed as a rotation/depth DE and closer to the veteran minimum than not. Pretty big difference.

I'm not saying we should, nor that it will happen. I'm only saying we have a need at DE (depth/rotation) and as he would likely be cheap, may be worth a look.

Well either way, If they dint want to pay him then what makes you think they will now? They washed thier hands of him.

And he couldn't be any worse tha Gohlston, could he?

Smith was told that Brown is available because the Saints have announced his release, meaning he doesn’t have to clear waivers and is an unrestricted free agent. But Smith sounded happy with the options he already has at defensive end behind starters Julius Peppers and Israel Idonije.

“Alex Brown is a lifetime friend,” Smith said. “I was planning on pulling for him 15 games this season. But again, that's a part of it. I don't know enough about it to respond to it. I try not to respond unless I have all the facts.”

Could Brown be a good fit because of his familiarity with the defense and everyone in the building?

“We've seen Alex,” Smith said. “Alex has been here before. We like our guys we have right now. There's great competition really with the guys we have on the roster right now.”

Link

What's his deal? He was our best DE for years (more consistent and better at things other than pass rush than Adawale) and he's younger than Urlacher. Unless it's getting beat down health-wise, how do you drop off from our best DE, to cut for money reasons, to cut by another team, to not good enough to warm our bench in one year? It was only April 10th of last year that we let him go according to Wikipedia.

The deal is he was so good they drafted a rookie early to take his place. Happens all the time with older players, especially those who play a speed position. Alex was never fast coming off the edge, can't even see him being as effective now as he was when he was with us. Let's see what the rookie does this weekend. If he doesn't flash anything, I wouldn't mind having Brown back as our 4th DE.

The deal is he was so good they drafted a rookie early to take his place. Happens all the time with older players, especially those who play a speed position. Alex was never fast coming off the edge, can't even see him being as effective now as he was when he was with us. Let's see what the rookie does this weekend. If he doesn't flash anything, I wouldn't mind having Brown back as our 4th DE.

If they think Addison can play a rotation role, then leave him alone,but if they roll the dice at least he is an option until Wotten gets back.

I would bring him back for the veteran minimum.

Peace :dabears

I would kick the tires but, this is one of the occassions that if he doesn't want to come in at the Bears number, have a nice life.

I loved Brown here but he always seemed to only play half the season or show up half the time. I know that is kind of the position that DEs play because, that was one of the knocks on newly enshrined HOFer Richard Dent.

I just hope in most cases that when it comes to choosing developing a younger player or a veteran I hope they go for the younger choice.