Forte's Offer Is On The Table

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/...ed/Default.aspx

Michael C. Wright of ESPNChicago reports the Chicago Bears have extended a contract offer worth to running back Matt Forte in the neighborhood of up to $15 million guaranteed, according to sources.

Given recent statements by general manager Jerry Angelo, and the fact the regular season is less than two weeks away, it appears negotiations are likely coming to a close whether or not Forte agrees to the deal, in which the total value and length weren't disclosed.

According to NFL sources, the Bears initially used the six-year contract worth $32 million ($10 million guaranteed) signed by Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles as the base line for a potential Forte deal.

Considering Forte has rushed for more yards and scored more touchdowns than Charles, it makes sense the Bears would extend a more lucrative offer than the one signed by the Chiefs running back

Can we guess 5years 35Million - 15Million guaranteed?

The fact that there was an announcement of the offer and not of a deal means that Forte has either declined it or intends to decline it. had it been viewed as a fair deal then he would have already accepted. My guess is he will go into next season unsigned and force the bears to put the tag on him. Then go back to the table where he will get a larger contract than offered here. The bears have stated that they expect a discount because he is on contract, so he will simply wait till he is off contract before signing his new deal

Agreed. The bears would not leak what they plan to offer or are offering like this unless Forte balked at the offer.

The fact that there was an announcement of the offer and not of a deal means that Forte has either declined it or intends to decline it. had it been viewed as a fair deal then he would have already accepted. My guess is he will go into next season unsigned and force the bears to put the tag on him. Then go back to the table where he will get a larger contract than offered here. The bears have stated that they expect a discount because he is on contract, so he will simply wait till he is off contract before signing his new deal

One way or another, it's always the beginning of the end when the negotiations show up publicly. They're either close or very far apart.

I'd expect that this counts as "Very close". The "He's now a FA" level is $21 million guaranteed, that's what D'Angelo Williams got in carolina to stay, Forte is still a year away so the guarantee offer is small. There's probably details to work out, but this is a fair market offer on the table.

At least no one can honestly sit here and say that the Bears are being cheap or obviously low-balling him.

Well the only one I seen posting this was ESPN, None of the Chicago rags are carrying it, So was it really released? Bears dont usually work that way.

Its Michael Wright of ESN Chicago who covers the Bears along with Jeff Dickerson for them and maybe they have a "scoop".

I'm sure Forte's team is sitting on it becasue they can. He's not playing tonight...so really until game one, they can keep posturing as he won't risk injury. The test will come probably Friday of next week I imagine. If there is no new contract...then it might get interesting.

Agreed. The bears would not leak what they plan to offer or are offering like this unless Forte balked at the offer.

I'm sure Forte's team is sitting on it becasue they can. He's not playing tonight...so really until game one, they can keep posturing as he won't risk injury. The test will come probably Friday of next week I imagine. If there is no new contract...then it might get interesting.

There's always little details to work out in these things too...try to push a little more on the guarantee, try to rewrite the bonus or performance incentives, there's so many details you can push into an NFL contract since they're only partially guaranteed.