The Bears Player Who You Want To Throw Something At The TV.

lemonej

Really? Over Shoop n' Poop?

In part I only said it to get a rise out of Jason. With that said, yes, I would take Crowton over Shoop and Poop, and I'm not fan of Shoop's.

Crowton represents what I hate worst about coaching as he tried to put square pegs through a round hole. Hm. We have this kid Cade McNown who has virtually no game experience. We have dreadful OL that can't pass block. I know. Lets go with an empty backfield and put all the pressure on the QB. I also remember about that same period of time watching Minny, and how they dealt with their young QB Culpepper. Minny had FAR better weapons, but they also knew the game is still fast for young QBs, and they needed to give him time. So Minny max protected. 5 OL, but then also a TE and RB were often blocking every down. Hell. I remember when they would have 3 extra blockers, and only 2 receivers running routes.

I'll never forget that game against TB. Sapp laughed after the game how they licked their chops and couldn't believe all the empty backfield sets. And this was TB in the defensive hayday.

I know Cade sucked. I'm not making excuses for him. But putting a young QB, behind a bad OL, and asking so much of his was messed up.

Shoop then followed. First year, we had the offensive rookie of the year under him. And lets not pretend A-Train was a special RB. Was that Booker with 100 catches and 1,000 yards? I think it was. And did he do it again the following year? Yes, I think he did. And for the record, it was under that conservative OC that we had our last 1,000 yard receiver.

Look. I'm not saying Shoop was good. I think he was good for the team the first year, maybe two, as we needed a ground game and conservative offense to compliment our very good defense, but as the defense faded, Shoop proved he couldn't do more. I could run off a list of knocks on Shoop, but he was still a better NFL OC than Mr. Razzle Dazzle Crowton.

Crowton was just a mild irritation compared to Shoop for me personally...

In part I only said it to get a rise out of Jason. With that said, yes, I would take Crowton over Shoop and Poop, and I'm not fan of Shoop's.

Crowton represents what I hate worst about coaching as he tried to put square pegs through a round hole. Hm. We have this kid Cade McNown who has virtually no game experience. We have dreadful OL that can't pass block. I know. Lets go with an empty backfield and put all the pressure on the QB. I also remember about that same period of time watching Minny, and how they dealt with their young QB Culpepper. Minny had FAR better weapons, but they also knew the game is still fast for young QBs, and they needed to give him time. So Minny max protected. 5 OL, but then also a TE and RB were often blocking every down. Hell. I remember when they would have 3 extra blockers, and only 2 receivers running routes.

I'll never forget that game against TB. Sapp laughed after the game how they licked their chops and couldn't believe all the empty backfield sets. And this was TB in the defensive hayday.

I know Cade sucked. I'm not making excuses for him. But putting a young QB, behind a bad OL, and asking so much of his was messed up.

Shoop then followed. First year, we had the offensive rookie of the year under him. And lets not pretend A-Train was a special RB. Was that Booker with 100 catches and 1,000 yards? I think it was. And did he do it again the following year? Yes, I think he did. And for the record, it was under that conservative OC that we had our last 1,000 yard receiver.

Look. I'm not saying Shoop was good. I think he was good for the team the first year, maybe two, as we needed a ground game and conservative offense to compliment our very good defense, but as the defense faded, Shoop proved he couldn't do more. I could run off a list of knocks on Shoop, but he was still a better NFL OC than Mr. Razzle Dazzle Crowton.

Not for me. Shoop drove many nuts, often me as well, as he simply refused to take risk. However, I think Jauron also kept him on a tight chain as Jauron wanted to win with special teams and defense, and the offense was meant to eat the clock and keep the defense fresh, which it did.

Again, I am NOT hyping Shoop. He was another in a long line of crap OCs, but to me, Crowton was the worst.

Crowton was just a mild irritation compared to Shoop for me personally...

Shoop was just so utterly predictable it was infuriating. I have permanant high blood pressure due to those years! For me, Crowton at least was trying something... And I knew the talent level sucked, so my expectations were very low.

But I do understand where your irritation with Crowton is.

Not for me. Shoop drove many nuts, often me as well, as he simply refused to take risk. However, I think Jauron also kept him on a tight chain as Jauron wanted to win with special teams and defense, and the offense was meant to eat the clock and keep the defense fresh, which it did.

Again, I am NOT hyping Shoop. He was another in a long line of crap OCs, but to me, Crowton was the worst.

I could try and jump off the Sears tower. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Shoop was just so utterly predictable it was infuriating. I have permanant high blood pressure due to those years! For me, Crowton at least was trying something... And I knew the talent level sucked, so my expectations were very low.

But I do understand where your irritation with Crowton is.

The rise is minimal. But I will provide these analogies...

Crowton = The guy who tries to compete in a cooking competition, only has 2 eggs and a potato, and insists he's going to make chili. He's destined to fail, but at least he's trying.

Shoop = The guy who, despite having 2 eggs and a potato, is too dumb and/or afraid to actually compete in a cooking competition after signing up for it, so he decides to boil water and ends up scalding his hand when he repeatedly checks the water temperature.

Both are probably going to fail, but only the former has the possibility of making someone happy with the ingredients provided. And since we Bears' fans have been starving for offense for so long, I was/am happy to have at least a baked potato and scrambled eggs. Personally, I'm tired of boiled water.

Side note: The Crowton analogy can be applied to Martz to some extent.

I LOVE cooking shows, so I love working with this analogy, though I'd differ from it a bit.

The two are chefs, given ingredients, and told to make a contest winning dish. Ingredients are eggs, cheese and chives.

Crowton decides to make a western omlette. Oops. Wrong ingredients. Worse, because he cooked the eggs as if the other stuff was in there, everything went wrong and the eggs burnt to the pan and had to be thrown away.

Shoop has no grand thoughts. He makes scrambled eggs forgets to use the cheese, chives and doesn't even salt. The dish is edible, but tasteless, bland and boring as hell.

Judges rule no winner saying their 6 year old kids could have scrambled eggs and refuse to hand an award to someone who's dish failed so bad it had to be tossed into the trash.

Crowton = The guy who tries to compete in a cooking competition, only has 2 eggs and a potato, and insists he's going to make chili. He's destined to fail, but at least he's trying.

Shoop = The guy who, despite having 2 eggs and a potato, is too dumb and/or afraid to actually compete in a cooking competition after signing up for it, so he decides to boil water and ends up scalding his hand when he repeatedly checks the water temperature.

Both are probably going to fail, but only the former has the possibility of making someone happy with the ingredients provided. And since we Bears' fans have been starving for offense for so long, I was/am happy to have at least a baked potato and scrambled eggs. Personally, I'm tired of boiled water.

I LOVE cooking shows, so I love working with this analogy, though I'd differ from it a bit.

The two are chefs, given ingredients, and told to make a contest winning dish. Ingredients are eggs, cheese and chives.

Crowton decides to make a western omlette. Oops. Wrong ingredients. Worse, because he cooked the eggs as if the other stuff was in there, everything went wrong and the eggs burnt to the pan and had to be thrown away.

Shoop has no grand thoughts. He makes scrambled eggs forgets to use the cheese, chives and doesn't even salt. The dish is edible, but tasteless, bland and boring as hell.

Judges rule no winner saying their 6 year old kids could have scrambled eggs and refuse to hand an award to someone who's dish failed so bad it had to be tossed into the trash.

I can live with you having your own version, since it's essentially the same analogy I used. Although, I think Crowton also ends up with an edible dish, but there's probably not enough chives (e.g. run) to counteract the metric ton of cheese he used (e.g. pass). The only thing you forgot is that Shoop DEFINITELY burns himself somewhere during the contest. (There is no way I can let him off the hook for the countless plays that everyone in the universe knew were wrong for the down, distance, game situation, personnel, defense, weather, Farmer's Almanac, and stellar alignment.)

Shoop definitely burns himself. I'm thinking at least a square foot of 2nd degree burns to his hand, arm, or face.

I'm dying with laughter!!!!

LOL.

No argument Shoop was predictable, not to mention stubborn. One of the things that drove me nuts was Miller talking about how Shoop would call a play. Miller would call it in the huddle, then approach the line. He would see the defense was in the perfect set to stuff the playcall, BUT shoop did not allow any adjustments, so Miller had no choice to run a play he knew was dead before the ball was snapped.

I always understood why some liked Crowton. Even if the offense failed, at least they tried to be more aggressive. That wasn't enough for me. I wanted more too, but you still have to be smart about it.

Yea, that does also point to Martz. Early on last year, Martz continued to run his scheme in spite of what the players did on the field. OL can't block, but he refused to give them help. QB was getting killed, but he continued to ignore the run game. Receivers continued to run deep routes that had no chance.

It wasn't until Lovie had a sit down with Martz that he changed. And wonder of wonders. Our offense got better as we ran the ball more, called more quick pass plays, kept extra protection back to block, etc. Suddenly we are moving the ball and making plays. I wonder if Martz would have made this adjustment on his own, if Lovie didn't say anything.

I can live with you having your own version, since it's essentially the same analogy I used. Although, I think Crowton also ends up with an edible dish, but there's probably not enough chives (e.g. run) to counteract the metric ton of cheese he used (e.g. pass). The only thing you forgot is that Shoop DEFINITELY burns himself somewhere during the contest. (There is no way I can let him off the hook for the countless plays that everyone in the universe knew were wrong for the down, distance, game situation, personnel, defense, weather, Farmer's Almanac, and stellar alignment.)

Shoop definitely burns himself. I'm thinking at least a square foot of 2nd degree burns to his hand, arm, or face.