Bears sign safety Brandon Meriweather

DGBears

Guest TerraTor
Ya Ive seen it confirmed. I LOVE this move.

Me too. May confirm what I said of Major Wright. Wondering why it wasnt a longer deal? I guess maybe see if it works out during year. CHris Harris and u Meriweather both 1-year until UFA....

is he #31?

Well, now I can safely say that there was no position of need on the field that the Bears have not at least tried to upgrade this year.

Not sure what I think about this as there hasn't been a single player that bill belichek has let walk that has actually performed for his new team. But I do like it because of injuries at the position right now

Not sure what I think about this as there hasn't been a single player that bill belichek has let walk that has actually performed for his new team.

I was thinking that yesterday. More importantly, how the hell does a 27 year old who made two consecutive pro bowls get cut? It doesn't make sense. Not to mention, we like our safeties to be disciplined, and that's one of the reasons they gave him the boot.

That being said, it's a one year deal that's probably cheap. Is he better then Craig Steltz and a rookie Chris Conte? Hell yes. Nice move.

I was thinking that yesterday. More importantly, how the hell does a 27 year old who made two consecutive pro bowls get cut? It doesn't make sense. Not to mention, we like our safeties to be disciplined, and that's one of the reasons they gave him the boot.

That being said, it's a one year deal that's probably cheap. Is he better then Craig Steltz and a rookie Chris Conte? Hell yes. Nice move.

Though Lovie downplayed the missed tackles by right in the redzone this move tells me that they are not satisfied at the position.

Merriweather according to sources came into camp out of shape and also the Pats are changing how they play their defense in the secondary and his lack of discipline in the scheme meaning he would freelance a whole lot is one of the reasons for his release.

Though Lovie downplayed the missed tackles by right in the redzone this move tells me that they are not satisfied at the position.

Merriweather according to sources came into camp out of shape and also the Pats are changing how they play their defense in the secondary and his lack of discipline in the scheme meaning he would freelance a whole lot is one of the reasons for his release.

Good info. I actuallly looked at the Patriots web site to see if they still have the guy who was cut by the Bears (who couldn't stay healthy). He's gone and in fact they only carry two safeties. (as opposed to the Bears who now have 6)

Still it's mind boggling that he was a first round pick 3 years ago, made two consecutivbe pro bowls, and now he's out.

That being said, who's the safety whose name I can't remember? (it's killing me . . . )

I think the demand of Belichiks D on a safety is way different then Lovies, so maybe meriweather can excell in this D.

Now we have options, beings he made the pro bowl two years means he has talent and has to be better than anyone we have. Who knows why they cut him, but could turn out to be great addition, not much risk.

Good info. I actuallly looked at the Patriots web site to see if they still have the guy who was cut by the Bears (who couldn't stay healthy). He's gone and in fact they only carry two safeties. (as opposed to the Bears who now have 6)

Still it's mind boggling that he was a first round pick 3 years ago, made two consecutivbe pro bowls, and now he's out.

That being said, who's the safety whose name I can't remember? (it's killing me . . . )

Maybe Brandon McGowan?

Like the move. Although he's not an OLman....

Maybe Brandon McGowan?

Like the move. Although he's not an OLman....

Thank you sir! I was actually sitting here going, "Brandon . . . I think is name is Brandon. But am I just thinking that because we signed a safety named Brandon . . . and it was McGowan. That was killing me.

As for your second thought on him not being an o-lineman, our defense is better then our offense. Why do we jump on the scrap heap to add defensive guys but we're happy with our offense??? Makes no sense.

Thank you sir! I was actually sitting here going, "Brandon . . . I think is name is Brandon. But am I just thinking that because we signed a safety named Brandon . . . and it was McGowan. That was killing me.

As for your second thought on him not being an o-lineman, our defense is better then our offense. Why do we jump on the scrap heap to add defensive guys but we're happy with our offense??? Makes no sense.

I obviously am not sure about this, just speculation, but if a young 27 year old first round draft pick 2 time pro bowler Offensive Lineman had been cut and available, I am guessing JA would have been sending a limo to pick the guy up with a glimmer in his eye.

Unfortunately, that scenerio just does not happen, teams for good do not cut quality OL very often.

I obviously am not sure about this, just speculation, but if a young 27 year old first round draft pick 2 time pro bowler Offensive Lineman had been cut and available, I am guessing JA would have been sending a limo to pick the guy up with a glimmer in his eye.

Unfortunately, that scenerio just does not happen, teams for good do not cut quality OL very often.

Not saying this would be a counter but the Patriots did sign Guard Brian Waters today (formerly of the Chiefs). He who had been sitting around as an FA for awhile now. And whatever happened to Leonard Davis? Maybe what the Bears have in place at OL will work? As much of an optimist as I usually am, the only thing that really concerns me right now is the OL. Not like I am going to lose sleep concerned, just a little.

I think mostly it has to do with Lovie's familiarity with Defense and doing well at maintaining a strong one. I believe he entrusts a lot to Tice and Martz and if they say they are good, so says Lovie. Will it work? We'll see.

I have to think that the team made it as far as they did, despite Jay being sacked 52 (?) times then maybe overhauling too much could upset the "balance". And that (OL status) appears to be the only real ding in the armor still lingering from last year. However and like Jay, I don't want him to have to risk being sacked 52 times again.

Not saying this would be a counter but the Patriots did sign Guard Brian Waters today (formerly of the Chiefs). He who had been sitting around as an FA for awhile now. And whatever happened to Leonard Davis? Maybe what the Bears have in place at OL will work? As much of an optimist as I usually am, the only thing that really concerns me right now is the OL. Not like I am going to lose sleep concerned, just a little.

Well, he was 34 I believe, and played poorly last year in the playoffs and in the preseason, so there's several reasons why this guy was available.

Meriweather was a good player for the Pats, but he liked to do his own thing out on the field. This can be good or bad, but he takes a lot of chances and makes mistakes in coverage alot. You have to be willing to take the good with the bad. He is a pretty good hitter and did go to 2 pro bowls. I think BB just had enough with the mistajkes in NE and let him go. Good pick up IMO because i thought the Bears have been soft at the safety position ever since Brown got injured for the 100th time.

Solid signing by the Bears

Meriweather was a good player for the Pats, but he liked to do his own thing out on the field. This can be good or bad, but he takes a lot of chances and makes mistakes in coverage alot. You have to be willing to take the good with the bad. He is a pretty good hitter and did go to 2 pro bowls. I think BB just had enough with the mistajkes in NE and let him go. Good pick up IMO because i thought the Bears have been soft at the safety position ever since Brown got injured for the 100th time.

I feel like some of the best things Brownie did on the field were when he was doing his own thing.

I feel like some of the best things Brownie did on the field were when he was doing his own thing.

I agree. I just wonder what we have planned with the signing of Meriweather. Will he start next to Harris. Kinda late to bring in a guy to start right away don't you think. But I do love having both Harris and Meriweather. 2 hard hitting safeties who can make plays. Teams would have to think twice about coming over the middle with those two roaming around.

I agree. I just wonder what we have planned with the signing of Meriweather. Will he start next to Harris. Kinda late to bring in a guy to start right away don't you think. But I do love having both Harris and Meriweather. 2 hard hitting safeties who can make plays. Teams would have to think twice about coming over the middle with those two roaming around.

He might not be ready to play "Right away"...but with Harris being a FA at the end of this year and Meriweather being on a 1 year deal as well...the Bears didn't bring this guy in to have him be on the bench the whole year. Plus, Meriweather wouldn't have signed here if the Bears weren't going to play him.

Thanks for the insight on him!