Anyone else have a problem

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

Ok, he was definitely a character-risk not long ago. And everyone says he just didn't fit with Belichek. But is it just me or did Pats just sign the biggest jackass Diva WR of all time? And to make matters worse. They signed arguably the biggest Piece of Human Garbage playing in NFL in Haynesworth.

Are they hurtin' in CAP SPace? Mankins, Haynesworth, Brady, etc.. I dont know.

I welcome Meriweather and hope he's great, hes an instant upgrade and desperate need for a ballhawk/playmaker.

Ochocinco isn't half the trouble Owen was/is... Haynesworth is right up there in character flaw potentially w/ Meriweather.

I'm willing to give the guy a chance for sure...

Ok, he was definitely a character-risk not long ago. And everyone says he just didn't fit with Belichek. But is it just me or did Pats just sign the biggest jackass Diva WR of all time? And to make matters worse. They signed arguably the biggest Piece of Human Garbage playing in NFL in Haynesworth.

I welcome Meriweather and hope he's great, hes an instant upgrade and desperate need for a ballhawk/playmaker.

I like Meriweather for his style of play but that could prove dangerous in a Cover 2 (for the Bears) as he would be trying for the big hit and his coverage skills are weak as a result. Or so says a coworker of mine who is from the Boston area. But as much as Lovie is probably intrigued with the pickup, I have hope he can get him back to his Pro Bowl level.

I believe I remember reading some time ago where Lovie took Danieal Manning under his wing and individually worked with him. Look at the improvement Manning made from crappy to mediocre if not better in the short time he was with the team.

If he was cut by the Patriots and signed by the Jets or signed by someone like the Packers/Vikings, Bears fans would have the same negative reaction to him.

Now he's the Bears's diva. If he performs, everyone's going to love him. If he gambles too much and costs the team, then he's going to wind up being booed.

If he was cut by the Patriots and signed by the Jets or signed by someone like the Packers/Vikings, Bears fans would have the same negative reaction to him.

Now he's the Bears's diva. If he performs, everyone's going to love him. If he gambles too much and costs the team, then he's going to wind up being booed.

I think it'd be the opposite. Everyone would be wow what a great signing how come the cheap ass bears do something like that. Lets see what happens. We need somebody to knock of a few of these recievers we face in our divison silly. BEAR DOWN.

If he was picked up by the Packers, the media would be saying what an incredible move it was and how shrewd their front office is and THIS is why they are world champions. Frankly, I don't care if this guy kills baby seals in his spare time as long as he plays well.

I believe I remember reading some time ago where Lovie took Danieal Manning under his wing and individually worked with him. Look at the improvement Manning made from crappy to mediocre if not better in the short time he was with the team.

Totally disagree. He never made it to mediocre. The only value he ever had on D, was off the corner blitzing. And that was about 4 times a year. There's a reason D Manning is not on the team anymore. Lovie took him under his wing and failed. He is probably one of the most un-instinctive players ever to wear a Bears uni. I'll take Meriwether 10 times over him. Don't believe the fluff in the papers... :cheers

Guest TerraTor

DManning the best athlete..blah blah blah. Guy was barely mediocre youre correct. Someone who wasnt even intelligent enough to stay at Nebraska for football. Meriweather is a huge upgrade over him and Major combined

Totally disagree. He never made it to mediocre. The only value he ever had on D, was off the corner blitzing. And that was about 4 times a year. There's a reason D Manning is not on the team anymore. Lovie took him under his wing and failed. He is probably one of the most un-instinctive players ever to wear a Bears uni. I'll take Meriwether 10 times over him. Don't believe the fluff in the papers... :cheers

I would agree that Meriweather is WAY better than Manning ever will be. And i did say I thought that Manning was, at best mediocre... Not fantastic. Besides his run back ability and "edge blitzing" Manning did have a few notable picks where he left his feet and caught them mid-air. None of those things, I believe, he carried in with him when he came from AC. Instincts suck... Sure I'll give you that but as i said before he improved from crappy to mediocre with the help of Lovie.

And as is sometimes the case he didn't stay unemployed long. Houston must have liked something they saw.

Actually, I'll give DM a bit more credit than some here.

For the record, I was never a big fan of DM, but I did feel he was a pretty solid nickel DB. As I recall, DM was playing nickel the year Lovie "took him under his wing" and he actually did improve and was IMHO even solid in that role. The problem was, he was a 2nd round pick (high 2nd) and the team really wanted more out of him than as a nickel. So they tried him at CB, FS and even SS. He was never a fit in any of these roles.

At SS, he simply lacked the size to play with bigger TEs or defend the run well. At FS, he lacked the downfield awareness or instinct. At CB, see FS. I think it "possible" he could have been developed into a man cover corner (not saying great), but that isn't the corner role in our scheme. At nickel however, his assignments were more specific. He would be assigned to cover the #3 WR. Less zone issue for a player lacking instincts, and the quality of the WR was usally less too.

Again, I'm not making him out to be great by any stretch, but I did always feel he was a solid nickel, but our staff continued to move him around trying to make him an everydown player, even if the role didn't suit him.

I would agree that Meriweather is WAY better than Manning ever will be. And i did say I thought that Manning was, at best mediocre... Not fantastic. Besides his run back ability and "edge blitzing" Manning did have a few notable picks where he left his feet and caught them mid-air. None of those things, I believe, he carried in with him when he came from AC. Instincts suck... Sure I'll give you that but as i said before he improved from crappy to mediocre with the help of Lovie.

And as is sometimes the case he didn't stay unemployed long. Houston must have liked something they saw.

I pretty much agree. Manning on his own was a bit bad...but in nickel/dime...he did quite well. He still is a threat in the punt return game as well.

But, I'll take meriweather any day.

He hits hard and mean. I think we need some more meanness on the D. And with guys like Url, Peppers, etc...he may just fall in line well. Smith has had some success in chilling out some hotheads. he's also failed at some...but overall, it seems like a brilliant move for depth and potential. And at the price...it's really a no brainer.

Actually, I'll give DM a bit more credit than some here.

For the record, I was never a big fan of DM, but I did feel he was a pretty solid nickel DB. As I recall, DM was playing nickel the year Lovie "took him under his wing" and he actually did improve and was IMHO even solid in that role. The problem was, he was a 2nd round pick (high 2nd) and the team really wanted more out of him than as a nickel. So they tried him at CB, FS and even SS. He was never a fit in any of these roles.

At SS, he simply lacked the size to play with bigger TEs or defend the run well. At FS, he lacked the downfield awareness or instinct. At CB, see FS. I think it "possible" he could have been developed into a man cover corner (not saying great), but that isn't the corner role in our scheme. At nickel however, his assignments were more specific. He would be assigned to cover the #3 WR. Less zone issue for a player lacking instincts, and the quality of the WR was usally less too.

Again, I'm not making him out to be great by any stretch, but I did always feel he was a solid nickel, but our staff continued to move him around trying to make him an everydown player, even if the role didn't suit him.

Understand. I am totally in favor of the move. My point was only on the thought that DM totally sucked under Lovie's mentorship.

With that said, my expectations for Merry are not great. No question of his talent, but (a) not sure of his fit in our scheme (B) he has to learn a new scheme and that takes time © he is a high risk player, and Lovie isn't the sort who usually likes risk. Everything about our scheme is designed to take away the big play. If his risks allow big plays when he misses, which was a big problem in NE, then I can't see Lovie playing him.

Not saying it was a bad move, or that anything like that. Just saying my expectations are not that high.

I pretty much agree. Manning on his own was a bit bad...but in nickel/dime...he did quite well. He still is a threat in the punt return game as well.

He hits hard and mean. I think we need some more meanness on the D. And with guys like Url, Peppers, etc...he may just fall in line well. Smith has had some success in chilling out some hotheads. he's also failed at some...but overall, it seems like a brilliant move for depth and potential. And at the price...it's really a no brainer.

Mad L I gotta disagree with you about Smith being able to "chill out some hotheads" biggest example Tank Johnson. I guess we can throw in Benson and Garrett Wolf also. And since Kreutz broke a teammates jaw on an off day at an FBI facility that tells me that he was a hot head.

Now as far as Manning is concerned I was one of the guys on the other site that was so happy about the pick but once I saw his football IQ on the field I dropped the "man crush" quick. I once saw Manning chasing a WR while a player with the ball was running past him. He excelled only when given simple things to do like, stand back at the goaline ,catch the ball and run fast. We all look at a guy with his athletic ability and scratch your head as to why there is no brain attached. This is typical of JA's 2nd and 3rd rounders since he has been here. For Every Peanut Tillman, Devin Hester and Lance Briggs there was a Ro Williams a Mark Bradley, Marcus Harrison,Dan Bazuin,Juaqin Iglesias, Bernard Berrien,Jarron Gilbert etc and a couple of bad trades to boot.

I guess I stand corrected. I did think of Tank and benson as fails... Wolfe I really don't even count sadly. Kreutz was pretty much entrenched before Smith even got there, and I think that incidenct happened on Jauron's watch if I recall correctly. But, regardless, I can't seem to recall a hot-head coming here and cooling off now that I think harder about it. Guys seem to want to play for Smith...as he is a player's coach. Yeah...I'm at a loss. Peppers was a good guy before. Roy W? Too early to tell. I stand corrected.

Don't get me started on JA drafting!

Mad L I gotta disagree with you about Smith being able to "chill out some hotheads" biggest example Tank Johnson. I guess we can throw in Benson and Garrett Wolf also. And since Kreutz broke a teammates jaw on an off day at an FBI facility that tells me that he was a hot head.

Now as far as Manning is concerned I was one of the guys on the other site that was so happy about the pick but once I saw his football IQ on the field I dropped the "man crush" quick. I once saw Manning chasing a WR while a player with the ball was running past him. He excelled only when given simple things to do like, stand back at the goaline ,catch the ball and run fast. We all look at a guy with his athletic ability and scratch your head as to why there is no brain attached. This is typical of JA's 2nd and 3rd rounders since he has been here. For Every Peanut Tillman, Devin Hester and Lance Briggs there was a Ro Williams a Mark Bradley, Marcus Harrison,Dan Bazuin,Juaqin Iglesias, Bernard Berrien,Jarron Gilbert etc and a couple of bad trades to boot.

Gotcha. Hell, he may have been even worse w/o Smith's love!

I agree on BM. My hope is that he can contribute now while Conte and Wright get it together. Or until we start the next new safety crew...

Understand. I am totally in favor of the move. My point was only on the thought that DM totally sucked under Lovie's mentorship.

With that said, my expectations for Merry are not great. No question of his talent, but (a) not sure of his fit in our scheme (B) he has to learn a new scheme and that takes time © he is a high risk player, and Lovie isn't the sort who usually likes risk. Everything about our scheme is designed to take away the big play. If his risks allow big plays when he misses, which was a big problem in NE, then I can't see Lovie playing him.

Not saying it was a bad move, or that anything like that. Just saying my expectations are not that high.

In the Trib article, http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosen...,3929156.column

Rosenbloom writes, "Word is, safety Brandon Meriweather is a Bear because Bill Belichick believes he freelances too much on the field. It also has been said that Meriweather piles up hangers-on the way he piles up interceptions, perhaps to the point that his posse has a depth chart."

We only see these guys from the media perspective. So I'm always interested when a media guy mentions "hangers-on" which implies Meriweather has a lot of bullshit going on in his life that overshadows football.

We've seen it with guys like Tank & Cedric.

That being said, all I give a damn about is if he produces on the football field and I'll take him over Craig Steltz. But I have cautious optimism as there are red flags.