Cutler on Forte

AZ54

Seems Jay is making a point to management:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8138

"His ability in this offense is endless," Cutler said of Forte. "He's such a smart player and he's so versatile. This offense really can't run without him back there. The way he's able to take screens and get into the passing game and still run between the tackles, he's a threat all over the field and there's not many running backs who can do what he does."

Seems Jay is making a point to management:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8138

"His ability in this offense is endless," Cutler said of Forte. "He's such a smart player and he's so versatile. This offense really can't run without him back there. The way he's able to take screens and get into the passing game and still run between the tackles, he's a threat all over the field and there's not many running backs who can do what he does."

Subliminpayhimal Messnowage

I don't. Look, I realize how popular Forte is. He is a damn good RB, and a better fit in our system. But I'm sorry, I think he is watching AP and Chris Johnson signing huge deals, and thinking he should get a ton too. I thought we put a fair offer on the table for him.

Time will tell. Not long ago, Briggs turned down all offers to re-sign with us, and choose FA. Guess what. The offers didn't flow in for the bank breaking $ he expected. As good as he is, outside our system, it was questioned how "special" he was. Thus he signed with us.

If Forte hit FA, I just don't think teams would offer him the big bucks he thinks he is worth. If he puts up sick numbers this year, maybe that changed, but I look at yesterdays game. A game he played very well. Hell. Played great.

As a runner, he had 16-68. Nice 4.3 avg., though it drops to 2.7 if you take out the one big run.

Forte is a dang good all-around back. He can run and is dangerous as a receiving option as well. But IMHO, he is going to have to prove he can do more on the ground this year. If he does that? If he puts up 1,300+ yards rushing plus a big chunk of receiving, then he will likely command more. But if he puts up 1,000 rushing, or around there, I don't think the offers will be much more than what we are offering today.

Do you guys think that the Bears made an unfair offer to him?

From what I understand, no.

The only thing I don't like is them saying it won't be discussed until after the season. Which of course, we pretty much know is BS. I hate being treated the fool all the time by this management. Just tell us, "the negotiations haven't gone as smoothly as either party would have wanted. But, we will continue to try to work out a deal to keep Matt a Bear for a very long time."

Do you guys think that the Bears made an unfair offer to him?

I think that is more an issue of the team saying we will not discuss it with reporters anymore. You know they will continue to keep an open door with the agent, but they want to avoid it being a press issue during the season.

The only thing I don't like is them saying it won't be discussed until after the season. Which of course, we pretty much know is BS. I hate being treated the fool all the time by this management. Just tell us, "the negotiations haven't gone as smoothly as either party would have wanted. But, we will continue to try to work out a deal to keep Matt a Bear for a very long time."

C'mon nfo! You know there's gotta be something I can complain about with this regime! ;)

I did read that the door wasn't completely shut. But as a fan, I really want to know that my team's management is not just leaving the door open, but doing their best to make it happen.

So much for making it a non-issue though... Every person I watched the game with or discussed the next day all said, dammit they need to lock that kid up...

I think that is more an issue of the team saying we will not discuss it with reporters anymore. You know they will continue to keep an open door with the agent, but they want to avoid it being a press issue during the season.

I have to agree. Waiting until later is not a wise choice, especially for Forte. He has everything to lose and that could be bad for the Bears in more than one way. First they set a precedent that you produce this year or else and other players see that. Secondly they run the risk of Matt deciding he doesn't want to deal with the Bears anymore, has a great year becomes an FA and off he goes. Although from what I'm hearing/reading that's not Matt's character.

And through it all, he soldiers on which only builds on his credibility and reputation...in the positive. I have to think that they aren't that far apart. It's time to swallow ego (in this case Angelo I think) and negotiate a long-term reasonable deal. Matts going to do his part regardless.