Dear Briggs

jason

Seriously, STFU.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...nect-management

If you were really concerned, you'd be playing HARDER, to ensure your next massive pay day. Instead, you will use this as an excuse to slack off so you don't get a boo boo.

He needs to go after the season.

Peace :dabears

You guys are so hard on him. I like that though.

My take...

It's a business. The McCaskeys/JA will either pay you what you want or they won't...and if not you'll see what some other team will pay. Whining won't change a thing.

EDIT: this was general advice to any player on their contract year, not Briggs. I kind of transitioned from Briggs to Forte without saying so.

Forte's problem is that what he wants is high enough that the Bears have little to lose by waiting. RBs have become one of the poorer paid positions. That's just the way it is. Then there's the real chance he won't even make it through this season healthy. If Forte himself wasn't concernred about stuff like that or being able to keep up this level of productivity all season, he woudn't be pusing (EDIT: err, "pushing". Freudian Slip?) so hard. So yeah, there's risk involved, and why would the Bears want to take on that risk responsibility for nothing in return if they can wait and get him with nearly the same contract he's asking for later?

If you couldn't tell, I don't think the Bears will franchise him. He'll get paid if he keeps things going like they've been. Marion Barber will factor in too, but so far he's only being used for short yardage...that's hardly a replacement for Forte.

Guest TerraTor

Briggs got more than market value when he was a UFA from the bears. He signed a deal and now doesnt like the yearly salary differences, Sorry man. You are a well above average OLB, but an even better whiner.

Guest TerraTor

Forte has earned a big pay day. He has produced more than Jamaal Charles and has started from Day 1. He may not be the game changer AP is or Chris Johnson once was (will be again) but hes definitely in Deangelo Williams (walking injury) pay scale.

I agree with what Briggs is saying, the idea that the players have a short life span as NFl players and need to get as much as they can as quickly as they can cause you never know how long you will be able to play for. My football career was ended on a blown out knee, just like that going into my junior year with 3 years left i was done. So i can relate to what he is saying. I think this way of thinking only applies to guys in Forte situation not Briggs. Briggs had his chance to cash in and he got the best deal he could from the Bears. Forte is still playing on his rookie contract and has far outplayed that contract. I feel the Bears should have paid Forte already but for Briggs you are all right STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go crash another Lambo already!!!